The Modern UI: what changes do you expect?

Katsy One

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I know there's a similar thread already (What WP needs to succeed), but here I want you to discuss exactly what kind of changes does Windows Phone OS need to get better interface-wise.

Just recently Apple announced iOS 7 with its very new design, but WP more or less remains the same since year 2010. I'm not saying it is a bad thing, but I believe there's still a lot of work to be done.

So what do you personally want? App drawer wallpapers? Gradients? New background colors? New accent colors?

Concepts are highly appreciated!

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just need a notification center, better live tile updates (not random updates), tap notifications from lockscreen to jump to the resp. app, better volume management, reviews in marketplace to be marked as useful or useless and many more

Everything else is perfect for me and I personally don't like the iOS 7 icons and shades ... it still looks boring to me (just personal preference)

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Just need a notification center, better live tile updates (not random updates), tap notifications from lockscreen to jump to the resp. app, better volume management, reviews in marketplace to be marked as useful or useless and many more

Everything else is perfect for me and I personally don't like the iOS 7 icons and shades ... it still looks boring to me (just personal preference)

It would be cool if you could manually update all live tiles. Like if we had a notification center like Android with quick wifi/Bluetooth off on then had a refresh button. Make auto refresh be 15min or adjustable system wide...

Otherwise, more apps! More options and color for built in apps.

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Custom tile colours would be nice. And a selection of fonts! The lock screen has a lot of potential - swipe to the right could show some sort of widgets, like weather, music player, etc.
Would also be nice to have the ability to set a grid. 4x6,5 atm is a bit of a shame. either use the black space on top or re-align the grid. It's a shame seeing half of the tiles on the lower screen... Give a 4x5 or 5x6/7, especially on bigger screens >4,3".

Not directly related to the UI... but it would be nice if you could press the Windows key on the phone and it would launch some sort of notification screen for a few seconds. Like a double tap to turn on the screen... A pulsing light when you receive a notification. I mean, receiving a toast message is nice, but its a bother watching the screen wake every time I get one.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Custom tile colours would be nice. And a selection of fonts! The lock screen has a lot of potential - swipe to the right could show some sort of widgets, like weather, music player, etc.
Would also be nice to have the ability to set a grid. 4x6,5 atm is a bit of a shame. either use the black space on top or re-align the grid. It's a shame seeing half of the tiles on the lower screen... Give a 4x5 or 5x6/7, especially on bigger screens >4,3".

Not directly related to the UI... but it would be nice if you could press the Windows key on the phone and it would launch some sort of notification screen for a few seconds. Like a double tap to turn on the screen... A pulsing light when you receive a notification. I mean, receiving a toast message is nice, but its a bother watching the screen wake every time I get one.

No offense but I think you're looking for the N9 :p

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I think looking at Windows 8.1 is a good way to look how I feel windows phone should start to look (but with the vertical scroll instead of the horizontal)

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

The grid is specifically designed that way so that the last row of Tiles will be only half visible. It's a visual design cue that there are more Tiles in the bottom direction of the screen.

GeorgeKan

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
awesome indeed, i would prefer the X button on the multitasking window to be on the lower right part, its more difficult to reach the upper right corner imho.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I know there's a similar thread already (What WP needs to succeed), but here I want you to discuss exactly what kind of changes does Windows Phone OS need to get better interface-wise.

Just recently Apple announced iOS 7 with its very new design, but WP more or less remains the same since year 2010. I'm not saying it is a bad thing, but I believe there's still a lot of work to be done.

And iOS 7 has taken many cues from WP in that design. And Ios has been pretty much the same design since the 1st gen iPhone way longer than 3 years.

So what do you personally want? App drawer wallpapers? Gradients? New background colors? New accent colors?

Concepts are highly appreciated!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs