Hello, I'm due to upgrade my phone in August and I'm torn between the Z10 and WP8. I like the live tiles of WP8 and have a few questions.
    1. How does the voice dictation work? Can I dictate into the word app on the phone as well as text messages and emails?
    2. How does pandora work?
    3. Does endomondo work on WP8 and can I use pandora and endo at the same time? I use pandora when I bike and endo to track my work out.
    4. How does bluetooth work on the 920?
    5. How is the Web browser? Is there anything that does not work well?
    6. How is WP8 when it comes to syncing with yahoo mail and contacts is it pretty easy?

Thanks for the help. It is hard trying to find all this information in the forms.
    mrzees likes this.
    06-11-2013 06:32 PM
    Hello, I'm due to upgrade my phone in August and I'm torn between the Z10 and WP8. I like the live tiles of WP8 and have a few questions.

1. How does the voice dictation work? Can I dictate into the word app on the phone as well as text messages and emails?

SMS works well. I prefer to speak them through my Bluetooth headphones. Not sure about other applications.

Best experience so far. They fully embraced the WP8 design and I've been happy with it. I've used on Android and iOS and don't feel I'm missing anything but that could be a personal sentiment. Its ad free all year BTW. Only on WP.

3. Does endomondo work on WP8 and can I use pandora and endo at the same time? I use pandora when I bike and endo to track my work out.

Haven't used endomondo because I use my deactivated iPhone 4 with Nike+ Running only because it isn't available on WP8 yet, though I've written Nike. I should ask you... are you happy with it? I run and cycle btw.

I'm assuming like any other device. I have the HTC 8X, but can they really be all that different?( dont flame me). I use the LG Tone+ headphones when driving and at the gym for calls and music. The phone hasn't given me reason to believe WP8 handles Bluetooth any better or worse than any other operating systems.

I'm happy with the browser overall on WP8,however, a forward button would be nice at times. I have a favorite set for "Forward" that a thread here helped me create. It seems most pages work well on it, and I've run into few annoyances that I didn't also run into on iPhone. That forward button being one of them. Also, sometimes when going back it closes to the home screen instead of going back a page so I have to go to Recent instead. It seems there is a limit, i.e. I browse 5 pages deep and want to go back to 1st. Pressing back will get me to the 3rd page, then close the browser. If i hit recent i can choose the 1st. I get around it easily but its just not what I expected.

6. How is WP8 when it comes to syncing with yahoo mail and contacts is it pretty easy?

Very easy in my case. I had no issues at all.

Thanks for the help. It is hard trying to find all this information in the forms.
    06-11-2013 06:51 PM
    I might have messed up that post by not clearly showing what was quoted and what was not. Cannot tell in this app I'm using.
    06-11-2013 06:52 PM
    WP8 is amazing. You will love it!
    You hold down the Windows Logo button and it will prompt you to speak. You can tell it to make a phone call or get your phone to do a Bing search. In terms of texts and emails, you go to the section for text messaging/emailing, set it up with who you want to send it to, and then click the little microphone button. It will allow you to speak and it will record it directly into your message. It works really well and it's convienient.
    Here is a site with the scoop on Pandora. It's ad-free for the rest of 2013.
    Pandora now available on Windows Phone 8 with ad-free listening through the end of 2013 | The Verge
    Yes, endomondo works on WP8...There is an app for that. You can use pandora and endo at the same time. I have seen others state though that they set ENDO to talk over the music and sometimes it doens't come back on or it's too low.
    It works well. The 920 is the one I have (YELLOW). I use it in my Ford Fusion to talk to people in the car. I can respond to text messages using my voice via bluetooth in my car. It connects with ease to bluetooth speakers. I've played around with some in Best Buy. Haven't had a single bluetooth problem!
    the web browser works great. Everything fits nicely into the frame. It lays out the information well and the screen on the Lumia 920 is great to see.
    I went to the ATT store. When I bought it, they synced my AOL account. Works perfectly...no issues. Yahoo should work well too. There's also a Yahoo app.

I assume you were looking into the Lumia 920...I saw you referenced it earlier. WP8 is such a revolutionary and easy to use phone experience. It's hard not to love it. Let me know if you get it :)
    06-11-2013 07:03 PM
    One down side is that lots of websites code for webkit, the browser "engine" in both iOS and Android. If the developer of a website coded as if "supporting webkit" meant "supporting mobile," you may find yourself not liking the site since WP does not use webkit. (As one would expect, it uses the same Trident rendering engine that's in the regular Windows 8 IE10.)

One area where this is quickly apparent is in menus that dropdown on mouseover. In webkit, any object expecting a mouseover is given that even type when tapped the first time; the second tap is treated as a mouse click event. In IE10, there is no mouseover since there's no mouse. There is a "proper" way to handle such events, but it's new and lots of sites don't yet use if.
    wpn00b likes this.
    06-11-2013 07:42 PM
    If you're going to use WP, you might as well do it the right way:

1) Create an account on www.outlook.com
    2) Export your contacts from yahoo and import them into www.outlook.com
    3) Setup yahoo to forward your e-mails to www.outlook.com

I would recommend doing all of the above well in advance of starting up your WP device for the first time (you can do it right now). If you don't already have an account on www.outlook.com, WP will prompt you to create one during initial setup, so you will be registering such an account either way, as that it is also the portal to SkyDrive and Office Web Apps

While that isn't strictly necessary, the experience on www.outlook.com is vastly superior to what is available on yahoo. You'd seriously be missing out otherwise.

Since all your e-mails and contacts on www.outlook.com are automatically synched with your WP device, synching is then very easy. You don't need to do anything beyond providing your www.outlook.com username and password during your WP devices initial setup.

Of course you could also add a yahoo account to a WP device. That isn't hard either, but doing all your synching through www.outlook.com is a superior and more flexible solution.
    Last edited by a5cent; 06-11-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    06-11-2013 08:13 PM
    I had the same dilemma - whether to go with a Z10 or WP9. If you can swing it, I would recommend picking up a Lumia 521 for $130 - $150. This will allow you to try Windows Phone without a contract. Don't let the low price deceive you, I just got my 521 yesterday and it is easily the best smartphone you can buy at that price. I has great features for the price and runs WP8 like a champ. Android phones at that price point don't have nearly as good features and all run Android 2.3.

I plan on using this as my daily driver for at least a couple of months to really get a feel for Windows Phone and see if it's for me. But I have to say I'm already impressed, and the Z10 isn't looking quite as appealing to me at the moment.
    Laura Knotek and wpn00b like this.
    06-11-2013 10:26 PM
    There are days when I feel like the Bill Hicks (comedian) of this forum, but hey, someone has to be. Allow me to add some reality into this thread because I hate nothing more than fanboyism.

If this is your first smartphone and you've never owned anything else then you may find this suits you just fine and you may not notice it's short comings, unless of course you have friends that have other phones. If your purpose is to just simply use the phone as is and not worry or care about anything that anyone else has you'll be a lot happier and it is best to adopt the whole MS ecosystem from the start. Yes you can use other mail/calendar services but frankly you're better off going for full MS integration.

I'll deal with 1, 4 and 5 since I can't use Pandora and never used Enomondo.

1 - The voice system is pretty good but I recommend downloading Indigo as it is a great app on par with Siri and though it has a small bug which will probably be fixed soon, it integrates with the Windows button.
    4 - Bluetooth works find for audio and file transfer services. There is no HID support, this means no keyboard or mouse and there has been issues with some in car audio systems.
    5 - IE browser is adequate. There's no way to change it as default. It can use some improvement but like everything else on WP, it might come, one day

WP is a locked down system. It's probably more locked down than iPhone. There isn't much freedom to do 'advance' things on this platform (that's of course if you consider downloading a file not compatible with the phone and emailing it 'advance'). So if you're happy using your smartphone for phone, text, email, tasks, web, game, gps/location and camera you'll be fine. The MS Office suite and Skydrive is nice too.

One final note, if you search this forum for issues you'll see there are things that you should be wary of, espcially if the phone you plan to get has an SD card. Yes there is an update coming to correct some of these issues and there have been some workarounds, that don't work for everyone, but if you can put up with those issues I would say WP8 isn't so bad. The recommendation of getting a 520 is a good one.
    medway01 likes this.
    06-12-2013 05:26 AM
    Thanks folks, this is helpful information. I'm happy to hear that most of my questions are answered and the features work like I would expect them to work. The lack of sd card on the 920 does have me a little concerned, I'm not sure how I feel not having an sd card or if it will even matter because I have not had a phone with out an sd card yet. Guess I need to add up the space I use on my sd card and see how it will impact the storage on the 920. Also the 920 is a LTE phone correct? And is there any rumors of a new flag ship WP coming to market soon?
    06-12-2013 03:59 PM
    The 820 takes SD cards, pretty solid device.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-12-2013 04:26 PM
    Also the 920 is a LTE phone correct? And is there any rumors of a new flag ship WP coming to market soon?
    A quick Google search would have told you that the L920 is an LTE device. So, yes.

New Lumia flagships are expected for the later months of fall. Before then (rumoured for July), we will get another variant of the L920, the Lumia EOS, which is expected to sport a 41 MP camera.
    Last edited by a5cent; 06-12-2013 at 05:27 PM.
    06-12-2013 04:39 PM

1. I don't know about word or email, never tried it. Text messages you can, and it works quite well. You can load into apps using voice, but from there it's up to the designer of the app if they want to use voice.
    2. Works like anywhere else, but with windows phone theme. You get one year of no-ads free I believe.
    3. I use endomondo, and it works quite well. You can get an armband on amazon for about $10. I don't use pandora, so have no idea. They can be used in the background I believe, so you should be able to use both. If not, endomondo can draw right from your phones music.
    4. While the phones support Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE), WP8 does not. So if you are thinking of getting any of those new fangled pedometers the rely on BLE, you won't be able to sync it with the device until probably 8.1 is released. It's one of my biggest complaints right now.
    5. The browser works great. The phone doesn't integrate a custom way to get around hover menus like android or iPhone. It tries to be standards compliant. My only annoyance is switching tabs, but that's about it. (and that's mostly personal preference)
    6. Never synced with yahoo mail. The default mail program should sync just fine. There might be a yahoo app, but I'm not sure since I don't use yahoo. I would recommend signing up for an outlook.com account (you'll have one anyways since you need a microsoft account), and have your outlook.com account sync with your yahoo account.

And it is rumored that there will be a new flagship later this year, but those are just rumors. There's a strong possibility of a new lumia 920 variant coming out around July (code named EOS for now), that has Nokia's 41 MP camera in there.
    06-12-2013 04:41 PM
    Thanks folks, this is helpful information. I'm happy to hear that most of my questions are answered and the features work like I would expect them to work. The lack of sd card on the 920 does have me a little concerned, I'm not sure how I feel not having an sd card or if it will even matter because I have not had a phone with out an sd card yet. Guess I need to add up the space I use on my sd card and see how it will impact the storage on the 920. Also the 920 is a LTE phone correct? And is there any rumors of a new flag ship WP coming to market soon?
    Unless you plan to carry around your whole music collection, videos, photos, load huge amounts of apps and never backup your phone. I don't see the need for an SD card on a 32GB phone, even though you don't get the full 32GB. It's sufficient for most people's needs. I have a crap load of photos, taken with the 920 and approximately 10 albums on my phone. I also have a few apps and I have tonnes of space still, enough for 5-6 videos. How much do you need to get you through the day?
    06-12-2013 05:15 PM