Link the outlook inbox of my 920 and my laptop

armagezon

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hello

Is there any way to perfectly link the outlook inbox in my 920 with that of my laptop? I want whatever i do in the one, to be done to the other (for example, when i delete a message in my laptop, i want it to be deleted everywhere)

I find it quite essential, isn't it?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
First question. Are you using an Outlook.com account (hotmail, live or outlook) or exchange?
Second question. What version of Outlook are you using?
Third question. Have you done a search to see if your question is already answered on this forum?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
this workflow of people using their inbox on the PC and phone at the same time and being OCD about instant synchronization is just bizarre. Use one or the other at a time. That's my Don Mattrick answer for the day lol.

armagezon

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I am using the outlook that is preinstalled in my Lumia 920, just that. I haven't found anything in this forum yet.

I don't think what i ask is reduntant. Suppose I delete some mails in my phone, i don't see why i have to find them in my inbox when i open my laptop, or i organise some mails in my phone on the road and when i get back to the house i want my inbox to be tidy like that.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I guess "inteller" was talking about other thing, not about just syncing your phone and outlook. Don?t worry.

What you want to do is very easy.

You can choose:
- Gmail using IMAP.
- Exchange (your work server)
- Exchange online (a paid plan by MS).

I think that outlook.com (former windows live) has that option too, but I?m not sure abut this.

As N_LaRUE asked: Which mail service are you using???

Oh, and you don?t have "outlook" in Windows Phone 8. You have the "mail" app.
Outlook refers to:
- the desktop program that you can use in your PC to manage email.
- or outlook.com e-mail service (it?s a webmail, that repraced hotmail).

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I am using the outlook that is preinstalled in my Lumia 920, just that. I haven't found anything in this forum yet.

I don't think what i ask is reduntant. Suppose I delete some mails in my phone, i don't see why i have to find them in my inbox when i open my laptop, or i organise some mails in my phone on the road and when i get back to the house i want my inbox to be tidy like that.

As svenhassel has stated there is no 'outlook' on Windows Phone, you have the 'mail app' which you can access an Outlook account, which can be exchange (typically work) or Outlook.com (web).

What we understand so far is that you have a program on your laptop, assumption is Outlook. What we don't know is what kind of email you are using. It's difficult to help when we don't have that information.

For some starting information you can look at this: Microsoft Office Outlook Hotmail Connector overview - Outlook - Office.com

You can also look at this: Email | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

You don't need Outlook connector with Office 2013 or Office 365.

We're happy to help but we need more information from you to do so.

armagezon

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your interest

I don't have Outlook in my pc, i have outlook.com, that is i go to www.outlook.com to manage my mail. I don't know if that answers to the "what kind of email you are using" question.

On the other hand, in my phone i have, as you said, the mail app - which is quite poor, in my opinion. I guess if i want to do what i describe in this thread, i will have to access my mail through the browser, something strange to me, since i would expect from Microsoft to give more complete integration - unless i am missing something.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have set up both my Mail app (phone) and my Outlook (PC) with my outlook.com account, which naturally is automatically available through my registration for an Microsoft account. Deleting, marking as read/unread etc. works nearly immediately, even in outlook.com
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Which sync settings for Mail do you have applied on your phone?
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your interest

I don't have Outlook in my pc, i have outlook.com, that is i go to www.outlook.com to manage my mail. I don't know if that answers to the "what kind of email you are using" question.

On the other hand, in my phone i have, as you said, the mail app - which is quite poor, in my opinion. I guess if i want to do what i describe in this thread, i will have to access my mail through the browser, something strange to me, since i would expect from Microsoft to give more complete integration - unless i am missing something.

Yes you've answered the question and now I have a better understanding of where you are. So I'm not certain what level of understanding you have of your phone so please don't be insulted if I give directions on how to get to things.

So you are using an Outlook.com. The only syncing you want to achieve is between the two. Now obviously the functionality on the phone will be slightly different than the web version but you should be able to see the same information.

Now I don't know if the Outlook.com email is your MS Account or not but I'm going to assume it isn't but will tell you the difference if there is one.

1. Go to Settings -> email + accounts -> Tap Outlook account -> set Download new content -> as items arrive. If you want all your past items on your phone you can change Download email from -> any time
2. Under the above settings you have Content to sync. These are check boxes, you can set which ones you want to sync here. (If this is your MS Account you will only have Email)
3. You can force a sync by doing a long press on the Outlook account and pressing Sync

Now go into your Outlook email on your phone.
If you have folders you have to set the sync for each folder individually.
1. To find your folders press the ... then folders
2. Select folder you want
3. Press sync this folder
4. Folders will have the same sync setting as the account so if you don't want everything showing up for that folder change the sync setting under Press ... Settings -> Sync setting before you sync it.

Calendar and tasks (different app than email)
Your calendar and tasks should automatically sync if you have those checkmarks as indicated above. If this is your MS Account it will sync automatically and you can only change this in setting in the calendar.
To setup what you see in the calendar do the following:
1. Open the Calendar app
2. Press ... Settings -> then turn on and off things you want
3. At the bottom you'll see Preferences, check the boxes of things you want

Hope this helps you out.

armagezon

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
@gerzwhin: I have everything to be synced immediately. Could you please tell me what options do you have?

@N_Laure: Thank you. I had an MS account, and i just created an Outlook account and did as you said, but i can't see any difference with before: a mail came in, i read it in my phone and in my PC is marked as unread. That is what i want to do, otherwise the "sync" works ok. Thanks again.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
@gerzwhin: I have everything to be synced immediately. Could you please tell me what options do you have?

@N_Laure: Thank you. I had an MS account, and i just created an Outlook account and did as you said, but i can't see any difference with before: a mail came in, i read it in my phone and in my PC is marked as unread. That is what i want to do, otherwise the "sync" works ok. Thanks again.

You didn't have to create an Outlook account.

If you want immediate sync (which is what I think you're after) that's pretty much impossible I believe. You can do a sync in the email app (third button on the bottom) but it will still take a few seconds to minutes to update the web email. If you have Outlook.com open at the time it probably won't show the update until you do a refresh.

I think your expectations are a tad high with the technology that is available. There are many reasons why the sync wouldn't be instananeous. Now if you're getting no sync at all or if it's taking a very long time then you have issues.

armagezon

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
You didn't have to create an Outlook account.

I think your expectations are a tad high with the technology that is available. There are many reasons why the sync wouldn't be instananeous. Now if you're getting no sync at all or if it's taking a very long time then you have issues.

Maybe... I wii have to compromise. Otherwise, the sync is ok. Thank you for your help.

himeshshah

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
- I am sending / receiving emails in my Desktop Outlook or creating new contact or calendar entry which will be reflected in OWA (Cloud).
- Whenever I start my Laptop before going on a trip, all new details (Email, Contacts, Calendar entries, etc.) will be downloaded in Laptop Outlook & will be fully synced with OWA / Desktop Outlook. When I am out of my office, I will send / receive emails from Laptop. These details will be updated in OWA (Cloud).
- All new details will be synced with my Desktop Outlook once I return to my office & start my Desktop Outlook.
Currently to achieve this, I am using MS Office 365 P1 Plan.

I don?t foresee any problem if I am using single domain / email address in any device but my problem is that I am using Domain ?A? to send / receive emails & Domain ?B? to Sync my Desktop & Laptop.

What I am looking for is same scenario with my proposed new Mobile device & am in a dilemma which one to go for : Q10 / Lumia / ?? I want all 3 devices to be synced & updated with each other thru OWA (Cloud).
I.e. I want my mobile phone to have all details of my Desktop Outlook when I work from Desktop Outlook & vice versa when I use my Mobile phone.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
- I am sending / receiving emails in my Desktop Outlook or creating new contact or calendar entry which will be reflected in OWA (Cloud).
- Whenever I start my Laptop before going on a trip, all new details (Email, Contacts, Calendar entries, etc.) will be downloaded in Laptop Outlook & will be fully synced with OWA / Desktop Outlook. When I am out of my office, I will send / receive emails from Laptop. These details will be updated in OWA (Cloud).
- All new details will be synced with my Desktop Outlook once I return to my office & start my Desktop Outlook.
Currently to achieve this, I am using MS Office 365 P1 Plan.

I use 365 and an Outlook.com email account. The Outlook connector is built into 365, which I assume you know already.

I don’t foresee any problem if I am using single domain / email address in any device but my problem is that I am using Domain ‘A’ to send / receive emails & Domain ‘B’ to Sync my Desktop & Laptop.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here. The syncing happens with the email (i.e.: .hotmail.com, live.com, .outlook.com) via Outlook.com (OWA). As long as you setup the email correctly on the phone you should have complete syncing with all three. I do this currently with my desktop, web and phone. I'm unclear about the 'domain' difference, can you clarify?

What I am looking for is same scenario with my proposed new Mobile device & am in a dilemma which one to go for : Q10 / Lumia / ?? I want all 3 devices to be synced & updated with each other thru OWA (Cloud).
I.e. I want my mobile phone to have all details of my Desktop Outlook when I work from Desktop Outlook & vice versa when I use my Mobile phone.

I think I answered this already but you should have no issues.

himeshshah

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure what you mean here. The syncing happens with the email (i.e.: .hotmail.com, live.com, .outlook.com) via Outlook.com (OWA). As long as you setup the email correctly on the phone you should have complete syncing with all three. I do this currently with my desktop, web and phone. I'm unclear about the 'domain' difference, can you clarify?

I am receiving email from Domain ?A? which is going in Folder ?Z? of Desktop Outlook which is automatically uploaded to Folder ?Z? of Office 365 P1 account (of Domain ?B?) which is then downloaded in Folder ?Z? of Laptop. The Domain ?B? is exclusively for my use & for Syncing purpose only. This works flawlessly between my Desktop & Laptop with help of Office 365 P1 plan.
Can I have the same type of Syncing with Windows Phone?

Please find further inputs as under:

- I am NOT using email forwarding.
- Domain ?A? is very old one & is used for regular communication.
- My company is too small & I cannot afford all users to take them on Cloud.
Hence I created new Domain ?B? which is used exclusively by me as I travel a lot & I want all my data available.
- When I used Domain ?B? for Office 365, all my emails were uploaded from my Desktop Outlook to Cloud which were downloaded in my Laptop Outlook.
Like you said typical Exchange Scenario.

This creates following scenario:
- When I get email from my regular Domain ?A? in Inbox of MS Outlook, it is uploaded to Inbox of Domain ?B? in Cloud.
- When I sent email from Domain ?A?, it goes in Sent folder of MS Outlook which is automatically uploaded to Sent folder of Domain ?B?.
This does results in double data input / output but it helps me to keep my Desktop & Laptop Synced.

Since in MS Outlook we can create as many email account as we want, all emails from different account can be downloaded as well as we can sent emails from any email account which goes to Sent folder of Outlook.

If I can have same type of facility in Windows Phone (Like MS Outlook), all my emails from different domains / email address can come to Inbox or designated folders which will automatically uploaded to respective folder of Domain ?B? which again will Sync with MS Outlook of Desktop or Laptop. I have no problem if this consumes double data as I have sufficient data plan to cover the data in / out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs