Thought of iOS 7 and what Microsoft needs to do with the next WP release.

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Let me first say that I'm using a windows phone (HTC 8X) and it's currently my third windows phone device.
So I watched WWDC announcement live and saw what's new in iOS 7. I was particularly intrigued at how Apple combined parts of the ui from Android, WP and Blackberry.
Now, I've noticed many people saying that iOS7 copied a lot from WP but I don't see that at all. The only thing they really copied was the multitasking menu. iOS 7 may sport a flatter look than its predecessor but in no way is it similar to Windows Phone. Windows Phone 8 is flatter (no gradients or translucency).

While watching the announcement , I realized how certain important and useful features that are in iOS7 are missing in WP 8. Here's some examples;
  • Swiping up an app in the multitasking menu closes an app. This is simple and seems dumb that MS did not implement this.
  • Folders can store many apps inside. There's no such thing as folders in WP. A live-tile-like folder would be great.
  • Quick toggles by swiping from the bottom of the screen. Again, no such thing in WP.
  • Notification center by swiping down from the top of the screen. Such an important feature yet missing in WP, again.
  • Reader mode in the browser for easier reading. Yet to be implemented in WP.
  • An option to auto-update app updates. Manual is the way to go in WP.

These are just some of the many examples I can name. Now I know, certain issues will be address in the coming updates, like notification hub but when is it coming. There's no denying that MS is slow with updates. It seems that Nokia cares more bout the OS then MS actually does. It has come to a point where I am tired of waiting. If the next iPhone has a screen of 4.3" and above, I'll be jumping ship. Don't call me an apple ****** in disguise cause I've owned a windows phone since windows phone 7.

What are your thoughts though? Would be interested to hear bout it :smile:

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You've made points that many of us have made already, especially those who have come over from different platforms. I have used both Symbian and Android for example. That multi-tasking is from WebOS btw.

I'm often left wondering what research MS did on mobile phones prior to bringing out WP8. There's lots of excuses that they didn't have time to implement all that they wanted to, but here we are 9 months later and those extras still aren't there and the issues that have plagued the OS still remain. There's hope that GDR2 will fix the issues and there's hope that it may bring in some new features, though the features are highly unlikely. So like you, I'm patiently waiting for the 8.1 or Blue update. Then I'll decide if I wish to continue with Windows Phone, which is I want to do. However it is glaring obvious the MS is still behind in a lot of features.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Its not just the multitasak menu its the design of Of iOS. I swear apple is going to get fined a lot of straling competitors concepts

There are stuff that are likely are coming from windows 8.1 to wp8.1 like reading list.and also the next iPhone isn't likely going to be 4.3 inches cause iPhone s series tend to be minor upgrades

Edit: this feels like a rant than an opinion

Technoloay

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
  • Swiping up an app in the multitasking menu closes an app. This is simple and seems dumb that MS did not implement this. YES
  • Folders can store many apps inside. There's no such thing as folders in WP. A live-tile-like folder would be great. NO; Instead, grouping the apps in the apps drawer in categories like in Windows 8.1
  • Quick toggles by swiping from the bottom of the screen. Again, no such thing in WP. YES; It should include the notification center in a different way of implementation
  • Notification center by swiping down from the top of the screen. Such an important feature yet missing in WP, again. YES with the quick toggles and a different way of implementation. This is no android nor iOS.
  • Reader mode in the browser for easier reading. Yet to be implemented in WP. YES
  • An option to auto-update app updates. Manual is the way to go in WP. YES; the whole store should be remade. It's way behind iOS apps store and Google Play in terms of UI.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site

I do like the way to close apps in the leaked wp8.1 version. Because the way w8 is doing it will confuse people and wp isn't about complications. Its about being simple and straight forward. Like I said before (getting pretty frumpy telling people again and again) whatever is going to be in windows 8.1 will likely be in wp8.1

Jaafar Jabbar

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Even though I'm glad they finally changed the look and feel of it, it didn't look breath taking.

MS seriously needs to bring in at least existing options available to other OS's, before trying to go for more.

haikallp

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I really want Windows Phone to succeed. I really do. But sometimes it feels like they are not pushing WP to their maximum potential. I honestly think Windows Phone will reach 20% market share one day but it will be a slow climb, seeing how Microsoft is slow at releasing updates.
As for iOS 7. There is no doubt that they took some design cues from bb, wp and android but every company does that to an extent. The original android and apple copied Symbian. Blackberry copied Meego. Windows Phone copied webOS. The point is to innovate on someone else's ideas and I think Apple did that. Of course I hate it when Apple sues on other companies for using their ideas when they do the same too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb