SMS Backup?

Dave Boal

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Mueen Hasan, regarding "How to back up and restore your Windows Phone data", does this "Windows Phone 7 backup suggestion" work on Windows Phone 8?

Dave Boal

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Nokia 920 WP8

I have message backup enabled, and still do on my old handset. I am trying to restore SMS Messages to my new phone.

This setting is the reason why my Facebook IM Chat messages from my old handset were successfully and automatically restored to my new handset, with zero difficulty, automatically, when I restored the new phone from backup.

Either the SMS text messages were not backed up on the old handset, or they are not being restored on the new handset. In any case, it is very disappointing I cannot see any SMS messages in Outlook.com, because I have no way to confirm that they were backed up.

I understand from other forums, the missing SMS messages on Outlook.com "is by design," but it is disappointing that I can only see IM Chat messages on Outlook.com in "Messaging History". Perhaps that section on Outlook.com should be renamed to "IM Chat Messaging History." That would be less misleading.

That said, I did see a the thread, from the link in the above conversation titled, "Wow look... View Text Message Backup in Outlook!?", dated 8/21/2013, where someone posted a picture of SMS text messages in Outlook.com. However, nothing suggested on that page worked for me regarding the enabling of SMS Text Viewing, and there were several comments from others suggesting it did and/or did not work for them.

I will continue to have my old handset in my possession for a couple more days, before I have to send it back to the insurance company. If you can suggest something other than just switching Text Message Backup on and off, and switching SIMMs between handsets, which I have done several times, I will be happy to oblige.

Maybe it is just me, and one other person above having this issue, I don't know. If you are also having similar issues, please join in this discussion!

At this point I have no idea if my new handset is backing up SMS messages, and if I will be able to restore them to an even newer phone at some future date. Allowing us to see SMS Messages on Outlook.com would help significantly.

If an employee of Outlook.com could offer a definitive answer on what should be happening in Message History of Outlook.com, that would be appreciated!

Thank you for your assistance!

Mueen Hasan

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Mueen Hasan, regarding "How to back up and restore your Windows Phone data", does this "Windows Phone 7 backup suggestion" work on Windows Phone 8?
Nope. Its just for WP 7. However, few days ago i saw a thread regarding backup sms on WP8 on Windows Phone & Xbox App + Game Reviews, Tutorials, How To & News, but now they have removed the thread but you may request admin of this website for help.
You may also visit Backing up and restoring personal data in Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone Central for wp8 own backup facility.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss