Considering upgrading from WP7 to WP8. Is Xbox Music still a disaster?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a WP Ativ S at the moment and its true the volume is too low. Also the music player is really basic. you cant search for example. also really annoying that when you stop playing for a while and go back to music it completely loses your place in the playlist! It opens up the music app completely from fresh.
If I copy music directly through the file explorer then it often doubles or triples the track names, sometimes up to 6 times (I have a Win8 PC so it should really sync perfectly). I had about 6Gb of music on the phone and the music app starts running very slow. Basically just not a great experience compared to PowerAmp on Android for example. I dont mind paying for apps but there isnt a decent music player alternative in the store. Its all based around cloud streaming. They just cant get away with such a basic music player in this day and age. Once you get a fair number of tracks on the phone it all falls apart. Its a show stopper for me and such a pity because the 1020 looks like a great device. It doesn't look like there will be any big WP updates for a while either so back to Android for me.
Interesting. I don't have any duplicate songs from copy/pate using Explorer. I have 19GB of music and haven't experience any performance issues, either. I'm not calling you a liar -- just that my experience isn't as bad as yours.

ShaolinTurbo

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Its strange and drives me crazy. It happened before and after the GDR updates. I have tried a couple of factory resets but it still happens. Not just with music either, photos in the camera roll double and triple out of nowhere. I say triple but actually there is up to 20 of the same photo showing in my camera roll! There is only one real copy of the file though so it seems like some kind of database or thumbnail problem I don't know.

I was trying to find out if this happens to the 1020 but I cant find any real info. I found this that shows the problem happening to a range of other Lumia's. Lots of comments below on the same problem.
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...t-an-idea-but-a-bug-pictures-music-and-video-

Other issue is if I remove a music file from the phone (using my PC) then it doesn't update in the music player. It still lists the track and gives an error if its played. Even turning it on and off it never refreshes the music list. so the list gets bigger and bigger with loads of dead links. It seems like WP8 has a very odd file system. I have Windows 8 on my PC so it should really have no issues copying files to a Win 8 phone.

If this happened to any potential 1020 I bought I would be very unhappy. I wrote a post in the 1020 forum (because Im thinking of getting one) but it was removed, I guess they don't want to speak about negatives there!
But if you say its ok for you then that's a start..

Last edited:

ShaolinTurbo

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
P.S. It doesn't matter if this is on the SD card or internal memory. I left the SD card out for a while and worked only on internal to see if that would help but it still happened!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Its strange and drives me crazy. It happened before and after the GDR updates. I have tried a couple of factory resets but it still happens. Not just with music either, photos in the camera roll double and triple out of nowhere. I say triple but actually there is up to 20 of the same photo showing in my camera roll! There is only one real copy of the file though so it seems like some kind of database or thumbnail problem I don't know.

I was trying to find out if this happens to the 1020 but I cant find any real info. I found this that shows the problem happening to a range of other Lumia's. Lots of comments below on the same problem.
https://windowsphone.uservoice.com/...t-an-idea-but-a-bug-pictures-music-and-video-

Other issue is if I remove a music file from the phone (using my PC) then it doesn't update in the music player. It still lists the track and gives an error if its played. Even turning it on and off it never refreshes the music list. so the list gets bigger and bigger with loads of dead links. It seems like WP8 has a very odd file system. I have Windows 8 on my PC so it should really have no issues copying files to a Win 8 phone.

If this happened to any potential 1020 I bought I would be very unhappy. I wrote a post in the 1020 forum (because Im thinking of getting one) but it was removed, I guess they don't want to speak about negatives there!
But if you say its ok for you then that's a start..

I've had a 920 from the beginning and I never had the duplicate song issue though I have heard of some people having it. It's usually to do with Xbox Music settings, you just turn off certain things and all is well. Going from what I understand, the Xbox thing is supposed to be fixed but I can't say for certain as I don't use Xbox music and still have all the settings off.

As for SD cards, it appears that issues persist. My wife's 820 however is working perfectly. So I sometimes wonder if it's a mix bag of issues when we talk about SD cards. I think SD cards are part of the problem, I'm starting to think that some just don't work well with WP the other issue is I think WP has problems with SD cards and I believe some people have a dodgy install on their phone OS.

As time goes by I'm starting to believe two things. One, you need to be wary what SD cards you buy. Two, we need the ability to reinstall the OS and have a proper backup system.

ShaolinTurbo

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
There is definitely something wrong with the way WP indexes files. The fact it never ever refreshes the music list is really bad.

I had a dig through the MS Community website. Plenty of people with issues. It was supposedly fixed on the last GDR but it hasn't helped.
Windows Phone - Microsoft Community

I personally believe they have not put very much effort into the local music playing capabilities of WP8. They are only interested in online streaming. sad really because I like many things about WP. I will miss Here Maps especially.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I get this a lot too.

Simple. Your SD card is corrupt. My wife had a bad SD card. Lost pictures and had this issue with music like this. Got a new card, all the issues are gone.

You can either try fixing it by formatting it in the phone or running a scan via a card reader and see if it does anything. Personally though, I did all that and it still didn't work. The new one has been working great.

Up to you but that's my take on it. I don't trust SD cards much anymore.

blegs38552

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Sadly enough, Xbox Music is still a train wreck. Songs that I have uploaded to my SD card are listed three or four times, and when I am playing an album, some songs play for 30 seconds, then start again and play to conclusion.

Microsoft still has a lot of work to do to make this right, which is why I still use my Zune HD player to listen to my music. Funny...they had no problem getting this to work, so they killed it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre