reality check. wp is in big trouble

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I wanna say we're ****ed actually.

the helsingin sanomat is suggesting nokia might be broken up to parts. this is even worse than all the previous rumours of microsoft or huwei (or however it's spelt) buying them out. they are clearly in trouble, and considering their normal operating condition has been 'trouble' for the past 5 years now this seems even more drastic.

even though i only started caring about nokia because of windows phone i honestly now wish they had gone with android for their own sake. they make stellar hardware, probably the best on the market. Yet they're being held back by the operating system so it's not hard to see why the shareholders are disgruntled. yeah the lumia 925 is an amazing phone, but it has to compete with the HTC one and the S4 (and the iphone). with the bigger is better attitude of the android customer base and the still lacking app selection i'd be (pleasantly) surprised if it stood a good chance.

without nokia windows phone is done. nokia is the only reason the software is even slightly competitive, although at this point we're so behind it's ridiculous. yeah wp is nice to use and it probably has all the features you'd normally need, but people don't just want a phone that gets things done, they want a pocket computer that does everything. anyway, this is not the point.

the point is if nokia goes wp can give up all it's hopes of ever becoming competitive and at this point this seems like a very likely scenario.
can we discuss this for a minute? (without the fanboyism if possible; i've heard all the arguments, in fact i probably used some of them before, but since i strangely actually care about this os i feel like a touch of realism is in order.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It makes no sense now, when the financials have stabilized and things are looking up much better for Nokia. The potential future value of Nokia as an ongoing enterprise should be significantly greater than the sum of its parts. This might have been possible last year but I really can't see why now.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Bahamen, but I am very worried that someone is up to something stupid, and going to pull the plug just as things are getting good.

I can't help but think if MS could be more agile with their OS updates we would be in a MUCH better position... many of the perceived advantages of Android are just not that hard to code... Microsoft is just moving glacially slow.

I am literally in pain thinking if I had to go iPhone or Android... either way would be VERY painful to me.

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, both iPhone and Android get updates MUCH slower than we do (I've had both). Whereas we get updates every few months, and we're the 'fastest growing platform' for a reason. We live in a fast-paced world, that's why it just seems a slow pace. But the main problem is the number of parties involved in the update process (i.e. many levels of teams within Microsoft, OEMs, AND carriers) all have to review and approve these updates... so while the updates can be made in no time, it's the testing and approval process that bogs things down. I'm sure they'll figure out a way to simplify this in the near future.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

HS-analyysi: Nokia voidaan jopa pilkkoa palasiksi - Nokia - Talous - Helsingin Sanomat

the helsingin sanomat is suggesting nokia might be broken up to parts. this is even worse than all the previous rumours of microsoft or huwei (or however it's spelt) buying them out. they are clearly in trouble, and considering their normal operating condition has been 'trouble' for the past 5 years now this seems even more drastic.

even though i only started caring about nokia because of windows phone i honestly now wish they had gone with android for their own sake. they make stellar hardware, probably the best on the market. Yet they're being held back by the operating system so it's not hard to see why the shareholders are disgruntled. yeah the lumia 925 is an amazing phone, but it has to compete with the HTC one and the S4 (and the iphone). with the bigger is better attitude of the android customer base and the still lacking app selection i'd be (pleasantly) surprised if it stood a good chance.

without nokia windows phone is done. nokia is the only reason the software is even slightly competitive, although at this point we're so behind it's ridiculous. yeah wp is nice to use and it probably has all the features you'd normally need, but people don't just want a phone that gets things done, they want a pocket computer that does everything. anyway, this is not the point.

the point is if nokia goes wp can give up all it's hopes of ever becoming competitive and at this point this seems like a very likely scenario.
can we discuss this for a minute? (without the fanboyism if possible; i've heard all the arguments, in fact i probably used some of them before, but since i strangely actually care about this os i feel like a touch of realism is in order.)

Who is the 'we're' in the opening sentence of your post?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
So miss guided. What an alarmist attitude. You have zero evidence to any of this. All anyone knows know is that Microsoft, Huawei and Nokia have stirred the waters with comments. I suggest everyone in this thread read this article:

Nokia

For now, we’ll lean on best-case scenario that the Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) venture will simply take a new twist, later in July, rather than something more dramatic like the company changing hands or Nokia CEO Stephen Elop being replaced.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
So miss guided. What an alarmist attitude. You have zero evidence to any of this. All anyone knows know is that Microsoft, Huawei and Nokia have stirred the waters with comments. I suggest everyone in this thread read this article:

Nokia

Apparently you missed the article about the Nokia board of directors being summoned to Finland? Something is up. We just don't know what yet.

Edit: now I see that's the article you linked to... Now I just don't understand your post, as there is clearly more than "comments" occurring.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Nokia

I ditto this. Word has consistently been that the 928 is the 3rd best selling phone on VZW and the 520/521 is a runaway hit. I wouldn't be surprised if Nokia ended up pushing closer to 10 million phones in 2Q instead of the 7-8 million they were projecting. The most likely thing going on is Nokia is searching for a way to redo or buy out the NSN joint venture because it has been a consistent growing cash flow for them, and Siemens suddenly wanting out is making them look at all of their options.

I seriously doubt breaking the company up is in the cards.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'll further add that the second most likely scenario is MS buying a larger stake, maybe going in jointly to help them buy out Siemens stake in NSN. There are a number of possibilities that are more likely than breaking the company up.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Apparently you missed the article about the Nokia board of directors being summoned to Finland? Something is up. We just don't know what yet.

Edit: now I see that's the article you linked to... Now I just don't understand your post, as there is clearly more than "comments" occurring.

What's not to understand the OP is freaking out over rumors that mean nothing because we know nothing. I could just as easily start a thread saying Hooray Microsoft is buying Nokia. This to me seams like a more likely scenario given the facts. Bottom line there is ZERO evidence to prove either. I suggest we all wait to get more facts. This could be great news or it could be something as simple as a split with Semens.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
What's not to understand the OP is freaking out over rumors that mean nothing because we know nothing. I could just as easily start a thread saying Hooray Microsoft is buying Nokia. This to me seams like a more likely scenario given the facts. Bottom line there is ZERO evidence to prove either. I suggest we all wait to get more facts. This could be great news or it could be something as simple as a split with Semens.

For some reason there is a part of the windows phone population that thrive on any negativity they can find even if it is in rumors that have no foundation to them.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I really wouldn't worry about it. HTC has all but ditched Windows Phone. The last serious windows phone I felt they made was the titan 2. The 8x is a nice phone but not enough memory. At one time, HTC was the only Windows Phone 6.5 OEM, they were one of the best launch partners..if Nokia goes away I am pretty sure another partner will step up.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
It makes no sense now, when the financials have stabilized and things are looking up much better for Nokia. The potential future value of Nokia as an ongoing enterprise should be significantly greater than the sum of its parts. This might have been possible last year but I really can't see why now.

The financials have stabilized? Mind posting a link to any of this?

We will really see how the finances are doing next month.

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
There's not much talk about bankruptcy anymore, and it does seem that the share price is reflecting this. Fyi I do follow some investment forums on Nokia and the change in sentiment is obvious. The question now is not so much about whether Nokia will prevail against BB but whether it can make headway against the big two.

Now if you look back at the last earnings announcement it is clear that the cash burn has stopped and as mentioned above the investment community has recognized that.

The other good news is the statement by Nokia that it has reached underlying profitability.

Of course there are still a lot of uncertainties but the point is that breaking up Nokia right now is highly unusual when it seems that the fun is only getting started. The timing of it just makes no sense... Unless it is because one of the top two are getting nervous and decided to make a ridiculous offer just to keep them out.

jack6191

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

I don't have any deep knowledge about any OSes..but I loved the lumias..so did my friends..I stay in a hostel and 12 of us bought the 620s though I was not much into the windows phone as I am a happy apple owner..these are okay as a back up..but some very basic problems like very narrow choice of games..irrelevant payment method(DEBIT CARDS DON'T WORK TOO)..inability to play major video formats..no decent player to fill this gap..lack of good browser..quick battery drain off..phone hangs when transferring via Bluetooth EVERYTIME..above all the 40MB CELLULAR DATA RESTRICTION ( all carriers at my place got unlimited data plans)..these are few reasons they are replacing their lumias with Samsung galaxies..I feel as if Microsoft is trying to follow apple blindly..they don't understand that consumer satisfaction is needed..not that " we will work in our way no matter what people want"...the huge success of android is due to the minimum restrictions..I don't say that remove the restrictions as they do hold importance from the security point of view..but for example...the 40 mb cellular data restriction could be turned into a feature by allowing the user to set the limit...so if I have a 1 GB data plan I can set the total data usage limit to 1 GB..that would be a better way to protect!...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, both iPhone and Android get updates MUCH slower than we do (I've had both). Whereas we get updates every few months
Simply not true on the iPhone, and the Nexus line + Google Edition phones mean it's at least a choice you can make on Android. For Windows Phone, there's been one update over the last eight months and carrier unlocked phones still got that late. Another point to consider is Microsoft doesn't update its system apps independently of the OS. Google constantly iterates on its services on Android, but we're still stuck with an email client from 2011 that doesn't understand Outlook.com at all.

This is an area where Microsoft should be showing the advantages of a consistent experience vs. Android.

the 40 mb cellular data restriction could be turned into a feature by allowing the user to set the limit...so if I have a 1 GB data plan I can set the total data usage limit to 1 GB
I really hope that with the wider DataSense roll-out, Microsoft has the sense to remove the artificial limitations and rely on that service for data usage management.

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
right, this is a very good point. it's noteworthy that they have returned to profitability and the stocks seem to be doing decently, although overall they are still down compared to the beginning of last year.
this is exactly why the news are so confusing though. i assumed to worst was over, but now it seems the worst is yet to come. i realise it's mostly rumours but now we're hearing consistent news of a disruption in nokia's original plans, be it selling to microsoft or being broken up.
i know microsoft can afford to keep wp on the backburner and support it pretty much indefinitely, but i can't really see it standing a chance without nokia

(edit: this is in reply to Bahamen

manwe

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Bahamen, but I am very worried that someone is up to something stupid, and going to pull the plug just as things are getting good.

I can't help but think if MS could be more agile with their OS updates we would be in a MUCH better position... many of the perceived advantages of Android are just not that hard to code... Microsoft is just moving glacially slow.

I am literally in pain thinking if I had to go iPhone or Android... either way would be VERY painful to me.

yeah this sums up my sentiments very accurately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99