Where are our WP8 OS updates?

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
MS has promised us GDR2 for the Summer. Well it is Summer!
Why are we on such a slow update schedule? MS should introduce a 30 day cycle, at worst 60 days.
If we are to kiss $%& of the carriers for each and every update, we are doomed!
Now there are millions of WP8 devices out there, some clients have all sorts of issues because of bugs in the OS.
Other people are starting to flock away from WP8, moving to iOS and Android because MS has not delivered.
Now Nokia is in such deep $$&@ that they might sell the whole mobile division.
What is this for a strategy? A strategy to buy Nokia's mobile division for near nothing maybe, but certainly not a strategy to get enough market share.
Still no distribution of WP8 store cards in Europe, Google just started to distribute Google Play cards in Germany.
The constant feet dragging and committee style management is starting to become a real problem.
I am starting to think that Balmer needs to ship out!
Where is progress? I don't see it!

derDaniel

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yep MS should give us hungry dogs at least a little bite.
Just a little, like updated calendar or music hub.
Small things can affect a lot.

CopaCC

May 26, 2013
Visit site
It's only been summer for one day; ;).

From what I've heard, GDR2 should arrive sometime in July along with Nokia's Amber.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have always heard July? I believe it was Nokia who said July for GDR2.
Thinking Amber will be packaged with GDR2 update like other big manufacturer updates, that should be the month you see GDR2 as well.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The funniest thing is about Ballmer shipping out.

Hes overseen the biggest change to the windows OS ever, helped bring about synergy between PC's, phones and tablets and moved the company from a software and services company to hardware and a complete package.

No doubt its not been smooth sailing and criticism has been rife, decisions have been poor and questionable at times as well.

But to sit at the helm of the ship and oversee the changes and produce what they have takes a huge pair of brass balls.

Not many CEO's would have had the guts for that much change to the company in the space of a couple of years.

mikeeemm

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I think thats a major issue with WP. Microsot puts themselves in a chokehold when they announce time frames for update or app or what ever it is and they cant keep their word. Now that I know my wp7.8 which I forced on there won't be seeing any updates I dont stress about it. I think Microsoft should just say we are working on updates and every now and then say what they are working on and as they get closer to the release start giving dates and more info but only when they are 100% sure it will be released on that day. We all like to get updates on things we buy because it show that the company cares about its costumers but when a company cant keep their promises it makes you wonder if they know what they are doing
Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
MS has promised us GDR2 for the Summer. Well it is Summer!
Why are we on such a slow update schedule? MS should introduce a 30 day cycle, at worst 60 days.
If we are to kiss $%& of the carriers for each and every update, we are doomed!
Now there are millions of WP8 devices out there, some clients have all sorts of issues because of bugs in the OS.
Other people are starting to flock away from WP8, moving to iOS and Android because MS has not delivered.
Now Nokia is in such deep $$&@ that they might sell the whole mobile division.
What is this for a strategy? A strategy to buy Nokia's mobile division for near nothing maybe, but certainly not a strategy to get enough market share.
Still no distribution of WP8 store cards in Europe, Google just started to distribute Google Play cards in Germany.
The constant feet dragging and committee style management is starting to become a real problem.
I am starting to think that Balmer needs to ship out!
Where is progress? I don't see it!

And the first day of summer in the US was YESTERDAY

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
There's a fairly large window for what constitutes summer anyway - anytime between yesterday and September 21st this year is summer.

Major updates to the Xbox are generally slated for fall of every year (not counting the minor spring updates, of course). As far as I can remember, the fall updates have always landed around mid-October to early-December. And they technically have until late-December, which is when fall ends (even if, by then, it feels more like winter in most locales).

In general, it seems when Microsoft claims a season for a release, they tend to not mean the first day of that season. In this case, several rumors have been pointing toward somewhere in July, which is reflected in some of the posts above mine.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Huh? What we Filipinos call "Summer" is March to May. No fair ;)

Well, back on topic, I'd expect it when OTA Amber arrives.
Personally, I'm content with "just" bug fixes when we have Nokia delivering Symbian's pride and joy to WP (save for EKN2 and Qt).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre