ANOTHER "other" memory thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell me has the new OS n fw (amber) update rectified the gigabytes of memory lost to "other"?? It's pissin me off on my 820 n myself n a few friends r seriously considering leaving coz we're sick of resetting our phones!!! I have always used Nokia's but am sadly gonna have to switch if this (3yr old) problem still exists after the latest update:sad:

Arjun KR

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me has the new OS n fw (amber) update rectified the gigabytes of memory lost to "other"?? It's pissin me off on my 820 n myself n a few friends r seriously considering leaving coz we're sick of resetting our phones!!! I have always used Nokia's but am sadly gonna have to switch if this (3yr old) problem still exists after the latest update:sad:
same here,really fed up of this! along with the fix they must also allow us to install apps on SD card just like android we can store app data on SD card and the app will be installed in phone memory,this reduces the phone memory occupied by an app.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Try the "delete history" option in IE settings. It certainly won't fix the entire issue but it has helped some people out. I don't know how to fix it though or when it will be fixed. Mine is currently at 1.8gb.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Try the "delete history" option in IE settings. It certainly won't fix the entire issue but it has helped some people out. I don't know how to fix it though or when it will be fixed. Mine is currently at 1.8gb.

mines about the same after my LAST reset but this is getting ridiculous! Its a ancient problem that could probably be fixed in a heartbeat n the mind boggles about why Microsoft have not addressed it. They haven't done jack about it n left it to Nokia to come up with a half hearted fix. Don't they want their own platform to succeed!!! Its pissing off alot of peepz n people will just switch if nothing continues to be done about it:(

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
"other" memory issue

Why am I the only one filthy on MS/Nokia for NOT doing something about the "other" memory issue!!! I was all about backing Nokia to the hilt but frankly it's embarrassing that they haven't done anything about it n this is a problem that apparently goes back as far as the Zune days!!

Last edited by a moderator:

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Weakness

Save your ire for the o/s, not the hardware manufacturer. Nokia has nothing to do with the issue.

yeah I realize this but surely Elop could've said to Ballmer or whoever like "come on guys this is n ancient problem that needs fixing" I can't be the only person dirty on having to have to reset my phone every few months!!! I have only ever used Nokia but I am seriously considering getting a HTC 1 n only coz of this issue! Yeah it sounds petty, just like fixing the issue sounds petty!!!

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
yeah I realize this but surely Elop could've said to Ballmer or whoever like "come on guys this is n ancient problem that needs fixing" I can't be the only person dirty on having to have to reset my phone every few months!!! I have only ever used Nokia but I am seriously considering getting a HTC 1 n only coz of this issue! Yeah it sounds petty, just like fixing the issue sounds petty!!!
But Joe Belfiore cannot get it fixed. Simple and plain.
Hope I got the guy's name right

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

I never said it's a petty issue. But to think the WP 8 team is waiting for Elop to give them a nudge is pretty silly. I'm sure they are well aware of it - especially from low storage devices. I really hope there is a solution waiting in the wings for it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

This time I don't know what is in GDR2, but a lot of people are expecting it to fix that. If correct, you should have it solved shortly.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Why am I the only one filthy on MS/Nokia for NOT doing something about the "other" memory issue!!! I was all about backing Nokia to the hilt but frankly it's embarrassing that they haven't done anything about it n this is a problem that apparently goes back as far as the Zune days!!
Why do you even drag Nokia into this matter? They even publish an almost native full function app that basically solve the problem?!

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

Why do you even drag Nokia into this matter? They even publish an almost native full function app that basically solve the problem?!

Nokia's Storage Check does not solve or fix the problem. Even after I use storage check, delete my browsing history and try every trick that has been posted, I still have over 4 GB in other.

I don't understand why people think there is a fix or solution to this. The only temporary fix is a hard reset.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

I know it's not Nokia at fault here as its a software issue n that app does SFA!! Having said that tho, Nokia shouldn't even have to come up with a short term fix, as its not n issue that they've created. That distinction goes to MS who should of fixed it in the very 1st update! Belfiore wake up 2 yourself n fix it or Nokia will lose 1 very loyal customer n I'm pretty sure I'm not the only 1 thinking this:(

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Nokia's Storage Check does not solve or fix the problem. Even after I use storage check, delete my browsing history and try every trick that has been posted, I still have over 4 GB in other.

I don't understand why people think there is a fix or solution to this. The only temporary fix is a hard reset.

You do realize how windows run right? The OS always keeps temp files. And it can never clean completely, while the amount left behind depends on your usage!
The only problem that it storage app cannot fix is the live tiles thumbnails which is created by bad written app not the OS itself.

know your equipment before starting a complaint on non issue.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

You do realize how windows run right? The OS always keeps temp files. And it can never clean completely, while the amount left behind depends on your usage!
The only problem that it storage app cannot fix is the live tiles thumbnails which is created by bad written app not the OS itself.

know your equipment before starting a complaint on non issue.
I think consumer doesn't need to know the issue before they complain. Especially when a 32GB Lumia 920 runs out of memory because of this.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

" I can't be the only person dirty on having to have to reset my phone every few months!!!"

Really????

The only thing here that is weak is your argument.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

" I can't be the only person dirty on having to have to reset my phone every few months!!!"

Really????

The only thing here that is weak is your argument.

Hmmmm, blaming the user for a problem with the product. Steve Jobs, is that you back from the dead?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

You're not the only one. People have been complaining about it here for 8 months. It's just that there's nothing we can do about it other than the reset or switch OS's. I am still on WP7.8 and this is one of the reasons why. I'm hoping it's fixed in GDR2, but I haven't seen that reported anywhere yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers