MS account exposed on each connect to public hotspots?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Turning off auto-upload won't prevent the phone from syncing your photos from skydrive, facebook (which goes through your Microsoft Account, I believe), and such. So you're still exposed. I don't see a way to prevent this.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Install this and go in your account and setup two steps authentication. if any one attempt to use your login and password, it will require them to authenticate.

Authenticator | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

its good to know that there is a form of encryption. but marketing director for The Wi-Fi Alliance said:
"I just tell people not to do anything at a coffee shop that they wouldn't write on the back of a postcard,"
The details to log in to my microsoft account (even in hashed form) are not something i would write on a postcard.

my question remains: is there a way to stop this automatic login / and the sync of contacts& calendar? i found the checkbox to stop email sync. & photo sync, but not one for calendar or contacts.
i think disabling this sort of syncing is the safest way to browse with unkown wifi hotspots. even if i unknowingly connected to a hackers laptop masquerading as the cafe's wifi hotspot
if all i did was read the news and check the weather, he couldnt get any usable info off me.

i thought of a solution & did a test. i went into email+accounts and changed by ms account password to xyz so it wouldnt be able to sync. i powered phone off and on & it still synced!!. as soon as i touched a calender entry it instantly was updated on the live.com calendar! what am i doing wrong here?

thanks

all these articles , including this government one says there is a risk (this is not specific to windows, but i cant find where to disable syncing)
Tips for Using Public Wi-Fi Networks | OnGuard Online
Is It Safe To Bank On Public Wi-Fi? How Not To Get Hacked!
5 Traps: How do I use public Wi-Fi safely? - Red Tape

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i have attached screenshots of what i see when i click the 3 dots from calendar,i have no sync settings. Filter contacts doesnt prevent search on mine, it just hides the contact entries on my phone (to hide them from my kids?) . Strangley, my photos hub is one of the few places where it shows a setting that can be used to disable auto upload.

Do we have the same version of WP8? Do you have the Amber/GDR2 release on yours?
Nope. In theory yes, WP8 suppose to sneak out data connection whenever it can. Unfortunately this will kill the battery and in practical they had the system checks update only when you go into these places.
You can verified yourself. Set the phone off data. Turn off all the syncs. Let the phone connect to the modem and monitor the phone's data usage. You will see none.

And you said it only hides the contacts. You can also verify this by having data on, but filter out the outlook contacts. Then you create one locally on the phone. Double check it on W8 peoples hub and outlook, none.

So far I only see you just showing your palm and ask for answers. You should really hands on the phone and figure out how to do it if you are so concern about this non issue.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
RSA is not susceptible to man-in-the-middle attacks. It's impossible for that to happen with RSA.

I understand that RSA is hard to crack, but I'm curious about this part. RSA is just a public key encryption scheme, right? Why is it not susceptible to man in the middle attacks?

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
" Originally Posted by Robert Carpenter
RSA is not susceptible to man-in-the-middle attacks. It's impossible for that to happen with RSA."
I understand that RSA is hard to crack, but I'm curious about this part. RSA is just a public key encryption scheme, right? Why is it not susceptible to man in the middle attacks?

any takers ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium