Problem with mail client on windows phone 8

David Locke

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Not sure if this has already been raised although, i can't find a thread.

I am a newbie so please go easy on me :D

Right, i have linked my email accounts (hotmail or outlook as it refers to itself to these days) it works fine, the emails sync when a new email is received. However, a really annoying thing i have encountered is if i go onto my hotmail account on a laptop or another device and delete an email and then go back to my windows phone 8 inbox the email I deleted is still there. That wouldn't be a problem as a simple delete should solve it however, it comes back and cant be deleted. I have found out that if i go onto my laptop again and move it out of the deleted messages AND then go back to my windows 8 phone and delete it off there it then works.

Is there a way for me to set it up so they both speak to one another so which ever i delete the email off it will delete it off the other device?

i have an email account i use for spam and had over 300 junk emails which i deleted off my laptop and i did this the previous month of about 200 junk emails and now i cant delete them of my windows phone 8 email account so i have roughly 500 junk emails which cant be deleted i have had to unlink the account for the time being.

Hope this information helps and someone can get back to me soon

Regards,

David

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
How often do you have it set up to sync from your phone? If I delete something from outlook.com it deletes from my phone on the next sync. I just checked and deleted one on my laptop, it was still on the phone, hit the sync button, and it was deleted.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
So are you saying you have your Outlook account on two mobile devices and if you delete an email on one of those secondary devices, it syncs it to the cloud, but not back down to the other device?

How do you have your email configured on your laptop? Maybe it's using like POP3 or something that is not syncing in a way that the cloud is detecting correctly to push down to your phone?

David Locke

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi, Sorry for the late reply.

In regards to stmav, i have it set up to sync: 'download new content: On arrival' 'download email from: anytime' 'content to sync: Email.'
I have tried to sync aswell as delete from my phone then sync. What happens is when i delete something off hotmail.com and then go to my lumia 920 the email is there i will press sync and the email removes itself then a second later (maybe faster) it comes back again and just keeps coming back i have left it over night and its still there after a sync.

In regards to tk-093, no i only have one mobile device (i havent tried it on another one...) if i delete an email from my laptop (hotmail.com) it stays on my lumia 920 (mobile) device. on the reverse of that, if i delete it from my lumia 920 first then it deletes from my hotmail.com laptop account after a few minutes.

I will check my laptop setting on my laptop but i havent changed anything from how it is from when i created the account so it could be pop3 (a sign of this is underneath the trash can on account there is a pop3 folder that is empty). If this is the case does anyone know what i need to change it to so they both comunicate together.

Regards,

David

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Any help would greatly be appreciated :) ...

I don't know anything at all about Outlook (I've never used it) but the other standard for email sync is IMAP and it's generally considered the more robust and feature-rich protocol as opposed to POP3. Like I said, I have no idea whatsoever how Outlook works, but perhaps using IMAP will get you somewhere?

Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
This sounds similar to the situation I face, and if so, it's something inherent to Windows Phone. Windows Phones push new emails to the phone, but do not automatically push other operations (deletes, moves, etc.). Such changes get queued until a new email arrives, at which time all queued up operations are synced. (Unfortunately) this is how ActiveSync is designed and will stay this way until Microsoft revises it. The workaround is to manually perform a sync on your phone after reading/deleting/moving emails on your phone or computer so the changes are synced back with the server. Hope this helps!

David Locke

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
@ousooner314, thanks for the quick reply. However, when i try and press sync - no matter what the email will stay in the inbox only when i delete it from my computer first.

I once had a paypal receipt constantly there for about 2 days i had to go back on my computer go into the trash can and move the email back to my inbox and then delete it from my phone instead and this removed it from both.

I have found a long winded turnaround to this but would like it to be automated. Basically, i have to delete the account from my phone then add it back again and when i do that it doesnt bring back the deleted emails. Saved me time because i had over 500 junk emails.

Cheers everyone

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
There seem to be many many problems, bugs and defects with WP8.0 & 8.1 email. Latest I found on identical lumia 620 phones one with 8.0 Black and one with 8.1 Dev Prev was a sudden failure to sync with and receive emails from non MS email accounts. One was Yahoo on WP8.0 Phone the other was a Plusnet on WP8.1 Dev Prev.

Both email accounts had been working fine until a few days ago when they just stopped receiving. The WP 8.0 phone gave silly error code messages noted at length in hundreds of previous reports. All suggested workarounds failed except uninstalling/re-installing the email accounts. After this long winded 'fix' I still could not sync Outlook on WP8.1 until I turned off Text Backup. Why on earth that should affect the WP email client no one has explained yet. Note that WP8.1 gave no error message, just didn't work.

So it seems Microsoft in making 18,000 staff redundant (mostly from the Windows Phone sector) would indicate a total lack of interest in keeping, maintaining a decent smartphone OS let alone ensuring basic functionality like Email actually work!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12