Blank Group Text Messages from Some Phones

cikub

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
It seems there may be two separate issues:1) the inability to receive group messages from some non-Win phones and 2) the inability of some Win phones to send group messages to some non-Win phones.

The OP has the first issue, and I am having the same one on my AT&T Lumia 1520. Someone sent a group message to me and another person. Any messages from the originator are blank to me but visa le to the other recipient. When the other recipient replies, I can see her message just fine. When the originator replies, the texts are still blank.

One interesting thing is that the pop down notification that announced the originator's texts indicated that the message contained non-text data (I can't remember the exact wording). A first, I thought she might have sent a photo, but I'm confident it's really just text.

C

eben11

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Same issue. I have a Lumia 925 and when I send group texts anyone with an iPhone gets a blank text. Others without an iPhone will receive the text though. It seems like it only started happening after I did the last phone update.
I was able to resolve my issue by doing a factory reset on my phone. Everything seems to be working fine now.

sfiorito

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Any news on this? My wife can't receive group texts from one of her friends that has an HTC One on Verizon (we're on ATT). Everyone else on iOS and Android and all carriers is fine.

gblpgurl

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I would not recommend a factory reset. I first started noticing this when we got a new person at work that didn't have an iPhone. I was the only on on the normal group message without an iPhone, but group messages came and were sent just fine to my Lumia 920. I am on AT&T. New person started with a "dumb" smart phone (i.e., not iPhone, Android, or WP), and I never once received group messages from her. I could still send and receive messages from her directly outside of the group message just fine. She upgraded to an Android, still on T-mobile, and the problem continued. I upgraded to a Lumia 1020, and the problem still continues. I have temporarily downgraded back to my 920 (cracked screen on 1020), and it made no difference that I had previously factory reset it in preparation of selling the phone.

stopsucking

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
It appears that this was never solved here. Just chiming in to say "me too" and to confirm that it's not specific to T-Mobile. My situation is a group message started by an iPhone user on AT&T, sent to a friend who uses an HTC M8 on Verizon (Android OS), and sent to me using a Lumia 925 on AT&T. The originator's messages I can see just fine, but replies from my friend on the HTC through Verizon just show his name and no text. The originator can see his messages and replies to them but of course I'm not seeing the entire conversation. Very frustrating...

eben11

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
I know... very frustrating and a little embarrassing too. It really makes the Windows Phone look bad. The way I resolved this issue was to do a factory reset. Make sure you have everything backed up including the settings and it shouldn't lose too much, except your pictures on your phone but those will all be on your onedrive.

illmartian

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I also have this issue, and have had it with every Windows Phone I have owned while on Verizon. If I send a group message, or reply to a group message everyone gets it UNLESS they are Spring Android phones (not sure about spring iPhone). I can email them no problem out of group text, but as soon as i turn on group text, and reply or start a new, all they get from me is blank text box. I get all their replies though. Resetting phone has zero impact. It sucks, I hate that I can not reply confidently to group texts.
I currently have the HTC One M8, but also happened with the ICOn, 928, and even the Trophy

Jason Nazario

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
I want to add my experience.
I am on AT&T using a Nokia Lumia 1020. The problem didn't start for me until my son switched to t-mobile a few months ago, and got a new phone. I think he has an HTC, but not sure.

Now when he responds to our group messages I only see his name, and nothing else. My wifes iPhone can see his responses. Everyone else on the thread is AT&T. I am the only one that complains about empty texts from his T-Mobile phone. I get messages directly from him just fine, only in a group reply do I not see what he says.:angry:

lizasisler

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue with my Lumia 1320. I have reset my phone numerous times and ATT has re-registered me to their network to no avail. ATT Customer support today suggested that its a hardware issue with my specific device and suggested that I exchange the device. I asked if there could be a larger issue with Windows Phones in general and the support tech said they (ATT) were not aware of group texting issues with Windows Phones, so the manufacturer would not have been alerted to the issue. The tech suggested that if there were reports of a larger issue, a fix would be issued. Can we make MSFT aware please? I like my Windows Phone, but will need to switch if a fix isn't in the works.

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I am a Lumia 920 on AT&T, so this is not just a T-Mobile issue.
I messaging settings, I do not have an option for MMS confirmation.
Hoping the new Windows flagship phone comes out soon.

dalascby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I have a friend with a Samsung Galaxy Note on AT&T and starting a little less than two months ago he started only seeing blank messages from me in group texts (I have an Icon). This issue appears to be growing, someone from Microsoft needs to jump on this. Folks should tweet directly to Microsoft support concerning this issue.

ealexand#CB

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
was this resolved yet? My parents just switched to SGS4s on sprnit and we're now having this issue. My sister switched with them but has an phone and is ok

outdriver311

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Just chiming in to say me too with this issue. I have an ATT Lumia 920 running Win 10 Tech Preview (currently build 10536), but it's been an issue since at least 8.1. My buddy has an HTC One M8 running Android on Verizon and his group messages to me are blank. My wife has the same issue with his messages (she has an ATT Lumia 1520 running WP8.1).

It surprises me that this issue is so old and somewhat common yet no acknowledgement from Microsoft. And I haven't even seen it mentioned by any of the writers at WindowsCentral. There are quite a few complaints out about this, not to mention I send feedback to Microsoft each time a new build comes out and this isn't fixed.

Cilin Silim

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Wow looks like no real solution to this yet...
Here is my situation:
This happenes to my gf as well. She is on the AT&T network using a Samsung Galaxy S6. I am on the Verizon network using a HTC m8. She cannot see my text messages when in group chats. She can see my messages when just her and I are texting. Same thing was happening when she had the Galaxy S4. What gives?! :angry::eck:

outdriver311

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I just wanted to point out that this issue seems to have been addressed in one of the later builds of Win10 (something post-10586.29, I don't recall exactly). But I started being able to see group texts from my Android-user friends that I couldn't see before. I say post-10586.29 because that's I'm running on my new Lumia 950, and the group messaging doesn't work. But my Lumia 920 is running 10586.63 and it works.

Richard Hartman

May 28, 2013
Visit site
In group text, I still get a blank text (with date, time, and name) from a HTC android phone on a Lumia 1520 using Windows 10 build 10586.107.
No problems if we are not in a group.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky