Blank Group Text Messages from Some Phones

5050punk

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I have an issue with my Nokia Lumia 920 where if I'm in a group text thread, texts from one of my friends come through blank, while everyone else in the thread comes through just fine. The friend that sends the blank texts is using a Droid DNA, whereas most of the people that work are using iPhones or Blackberries. The weird thing is that if he sends a picture in the thread, it comes through fine. If he added text along with the picture, I can read that too. But straight text messages always come through empty. The participants in the conversation with non Windows Phones can see the messages just fine, so it appears to be a problem on the Windows Phone end. Another one of my friends that has the same phone experiences the same issue as me with these conversations.

Has anyone run into this, and is there a way to work around it? Is this a known Windows Phone bug?

Thanks.

iuswade

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact issue described in this thread. On my AT&T Nokia Lumia 920, I cannot receive group messages (or MMS) from one friend who has a Droid DNA (Verizon). The messages do come through if there is a picture attached. I do not have this problem with any other device, carrier or OS. It must be a way that the DNA sends MMS.

Any one figure this issue out yet?

tsnatcher

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I take it this has not been resolved yet? I have the same issue on my 920. I get blank texts from a droid on Verizon, but all other phones and networks seem fine. If anyone figured this out I would appreciate it.

madmoondog

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Let me chime in and say I have the exact same issue. The offender is on an HTC android on Verizon. He can tm and mms me directly no problem but as soon as it goes to group they are blank

Michael Roy

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue as well and have yet to find a solution....is there a fix to this problem. My friend is using a HTC One on verizon. When he sends me a text outside of group messaging it works but in a group it just shows a blank from him.

bigbmc26

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue, but my problem is when I reply in the group text, no text comes through. Just blank bubbles on my friends using iphones. This doesn't happy every time though. Last night we were texting, and mine just stopped going through the group. They only got blank bubbles. Individual texts to each worked fine to each. Even pictures sent fine in the group chat. Just no words. WTH!? Has this happened to anyone? T-Mobile using a 925...

MalkyZ

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
This recently just started happening to me as well, and I'm using a Lumia 925. My friends with iPhones are getting blank bubbles from me but individual texts go through fine. Group messaging was working perfectly before. I hope they are aware and working on it...whoever is responsible for it (T-mo or Microsoft)

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this issue. When I send a group text from my T-Mo 925 my iPhone using friend gets a blank message.

Going to have to do some testing to see if I can isolate it by device or carrier, or if its all recipients.

Rubenidas

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm having this issue. When I send a group text from my T-Mo 925 my iPhone using friend gets a blank message.

Going to have to do some testing to see if I can isolate it by device or carrier, or if its all recipients.

Go to your message settings and turn on "MMS Delivery Confirmation". It is pretty annoying since you will get a confirmation text every time you reply (for each contact in your group) but this seemed to do the trick for me. I got this from another thread on here regarding the same issue.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-521/249934-empty-bubbles-blank-text-messages.html

Rubenidas

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Nope, some over on the T-Mobile support site are saying this is a T-Mobile issue. I don't see how when the issue only happens on my 925 and not my Z10.

I think its a problem for Windows Phones on T-Mobile only ... seems all the people in the other threads are T-Mobile users as well. My co-worker has 920 w/ATT and she says shes never had a problem. I on the other hand (HTC 8X on T-Mobile) I could not participate in group messaging until now that i found a "Fix". See my reply above. Also check out the link to the other thread i posted.

eben11

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Same issue. I have a Lumia 925 and when I send group texts anyone with an iPhone gets a blank text. Others without an iPhone will receive the text though. It seems like it only started happening after I did the last phone update.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue, but for me, I can't even see that a text was sent. I only notice I've been group messaged when people start responding. It only happens with iPhones, and I think it may have something to do with the fact that I switched from an iPhone to WP. It's incredibly annoying and yes, iMessage has been turned off and the device is no longer registered.

tfracs33

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have an HTC 8x on Verizon and I do not receive the original text (I believe just from iPhones) when a group message is sent, just the replies. This has been happening for more than 6 months and when I called Verizon, they said it was a limitation of the iPhone to send group messages. Sounded like a made up answer to me, but it is very annoying especially when my phone is used for business.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC 8x on Verizon and I do not receive the original text (I believe just from iPhones) when a group message is sent, just the replies. This has been happening for more than 6 months and when I called Verizon, they said it was a limitation of the iPhone to send group messages. Sounded like a made up answer to me, but it is very annoying especially when my phone is used for business.

Same exact issue here! This is a made up answer, because I used to be able to receive group messages from iPhones just fine through MMS, but ever since I switched from my 1-month stint with an iPhone, this has been ongoing.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm on AT&T. I had this problem too, I would receive blank texts from my MIL using an HTC Android on Verizon. My wife could read the replies fine, just not me. Group texts from other people using iPhones and androids went through fine. Now she has upgraded to an S4 and the issue seems to have gone away for the time being.

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
This is very annoying. I don't use group texting a ton, but I know it was working fine in early November. A week ago however, some buddies started a group text marathon regarding the college football games and all they see are blank messages from me. Only one of the 5 has an iPhone, the others android on various networks (none on T-Mo like me and my Lumia 810).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon