Why Windows Phone 8?? My Switch Pitch to a friend.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
My friend has an old Android and her contract has been up for a while. Today she emailed me and said. "What do you like about your Windows Phone? Sell me, Mr. Daly..".

What started out as a email back to her, turned into a blog. This is pretty targeted for her, but I think it has a lot of the basis for my Switch Pitch from now on. Is there anything you all would ad?? Does anyone else have a Switch Pitch that they use?

Why Windows Phone & Nokia Lumia? | A DalyDose of...Jeff Daly

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I like your sales pitch. You mentioned a lot of the things I also enjoy about WP. I would probably also mention the groups feature in the people hub, which I also find super useful.

On the flip side, you might also want to mention a few of WP's weaknesses, just so she understands she isn't getting the "best at everything" device.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I like your sales pitch. You mentioned a lot of the things I also enjoy about WP. I would probably also mention the groups feature in the people hub, which I also find super useful.

On the flip side, you might also want to mention a few of WP's weaknesses, just so she understands she isn't getting the "best at everything" device.

Have to agree with you here. It's a good enough smartphone for the average person.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The answer should be a quick 'It's better - amazing camera, fast and stable. Great phone'.

Any doubt or hesitation leads to staying with an iPhone. You can get away with a lot more 'exceptions' for Android users because they've normally had issues with their phone anyway (older ones for sure.)

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Given you are refering to a female all you need to do is revert it back to her personal image.

"Cause it makes you look sexy girl!"

Instant sell....

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Live tiles, internet sharing, office, no risk of phone making unauthorised sms / calls (as the API wont allow this )
consistent performance as apps dont run in the background. plus she will be getting the amber/gdr update

and finally, only on WP: kids corner

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Great article. As for telling her some of the shortcomings... I don't think you should tell her anything but positive things. You stated that she isn't techy so why confuse her with something that she may or may not encounter when using her WP. If she encounters some of the problem areas after getting her phone; well, help her answer the questions then.Probably by the time she is ready to ask questions, updates will already be out that cover most of the supposed lackings of WP8.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site

frooglepoopillion

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I actually just purchased a Lumia 920 off contract for all the reasons you listed in your pitch. I currently have a Nexus 4 but I really don't want to be forced to constantly tinker and tweak it just to do things that should be simple (for instance getting respectable battery life and data speeds). It arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to try it out.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I actually just purchased a Lumia 920 off contract for all the reasons you listed in your pitch. I currently have a Nexus 4 but I really don't want to be forced to constantly tinker and tweak it just to do things that should be simple (for instance getting respectable battery life and data speeds). It arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to try it out.

Nice. Enjoy and you obviously know to come to WPC if you need help! :)

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Great article. As for telling her some of the shortcomings... I don't think you should tell her anything but positive things. You stated that she isn't techy so why confuse her with something that she may or may not encounter when using her WP. If she encounters some of the problem areas after getting her phone; well, help her answer the questions then.Probably by the time she is ready to ask questions, updates will already be out that cover most of the supposed lackings of WP8.

I stuck with answering her specific questions. One thing I brought up with her is the app situation. She's not one to jump on the latest snapchattagram on a vine, so she doesn't care that much about that stuff. I do want to make sure that she doesn't do a lot of banking via mobile only to find out that her bank isn't supported. I don't THINK she would really do much of that, but I want to double check. I **really** wish they'd leak more of what's coming in the Amber update. The stuff that should be easy like orientation lock & separate volume control just NEED to be there. On top of that, I'm hoping for new developer access to the video files so we can get things like uploading to Vimeo, YouTube, WhatsApp, etc. and maybe get a simple video editor app. Developers can't do anything until Microsoft unblocks access. SKYPE just BETTER have feature parity with iOS and Android..SOON! It's embarrassing. I'd also like to see a Notification Center for the simple fact that people coming from platforms where that is part of the productivity flow won't miss it. I get all my notifications just fine, but different strokes, right?

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Good switch pitch. Please let us know if she gets a WP8 device. :)
Will do. It's looking good, but I feel like a coach recruiting a top athlete to come to my school. Everything seems great, but someone (Verizon sales dude) could thwart my plan in the end. :)

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Do let her know W8P has : No all-in-one Notification centre, No Mute on media - you have to keep tapping the volume control. No separate volume control for media and phone, No folders - Tiles can be slow to navigate, esp when remembering where they are, and what the Tile app does (esp in small icons as there's only the icon); this can be confusing too with to many Tiles. WP calendar is a joke, you can get 3rd party apps - but a majority you need the official W8 version to edit/delete. The need to have SkyDrive/PC/Net/Phone is required to do the most basic smartphone things such as create Muisc Playlist and Photo Albums - this eating data cost and slow or impossible to do if not connected to the net. You can't download video's into the phone memory to watch later, no Media hub except Netflix...W8 seriously is lacking in many standard smartphone features, and actually I thinks she be more suited for iPhone 5 with its upcoming iOS 7 update (which makes W8 look further behind in features and functions).

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Do let her know W8P has : No all-in-one Notification centre, No Mute on media - you have to keep tapping the volume control. No separate volume control for media and phone, No folders - Tiles can be slow to navigate, esp when remembering where they are, and what the Tile app does (esp in small icons as there's only the icon); this can be confusing too with to many Tiles. WP calendar is a joke, you can get 3rd party apps - but a majority you need the official W8 version to edit/delete. The need to have SkyDrive/PC/Net/Phone is required to do the most basic smartphone things such as create Muisc Playlist and Photo Albums - this eating data cost and slow or impossible to do if not connected to the net. You can't download video's into the phone memory to watch later, no Media hub except Netflix...W8 seriously is lacking in many standard smartphone features, and actually I thinks she be more suited for iPhone 5 with its upcoming iOS 7 update (which makes W8 look further behind in features and functions).

Enter: Troll with one post.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99