"Other" Storage vent

congoose

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I need someone to talk me off the cell-phone ledge. I've just uninstalled all non-essential apps from my HTC 8X so that I could send an SMS message. That's right, the "other storage" bug has consumed so much memory, I got an error telling me to free up space to complete task. I've already had to resort to taking candid pictures/video of my newborn on my wife's S3 because my phone is consistently telling me there is no space. I can't download map updates because the store needs the extra space to perform the swap or D/L any app/game over 30mb . I've tried all the suggestions and scab on apps that the 'net says might help. I irony is that when you do successfully free up 500mb here or there, the other file continues to grow (yes, I've turned off the photos auto-upload to skydrive feature...which is great because now I don't have back-ups of my pictures that I need to delete. Thank you for the suggestion Belfiore). It's well over 9GBs now...yes, there is some dynamic memory allocation going on behind the scenes...I know because I CAN FEEL IT HAPPENING. Your apps will stutter, restart instead of resume, etc. And that still doesn't change the fact that every other service, now I guess SMS too, sees only 30mb free and blocks allocation of it.

But hey, XBOX ONE and a MINT app before Christmas!

:crying:

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully GDR2 with it's supposed fix comes before Christmas. If rumors are true about the release, and it does work, you can have Christmas in July.

Technoloay

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 620 has 3.11 GB in the other storage and 1.3 GB of free storage and I'm starting to get worried.. This is nonsense! Windows phone is a great OS that's Useless at some point :/ I'll still wait, though.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
The only solution that works for me is a hard reset. I am debating about doing hard reset # 4. I have tried all the other "fixes" too and links, but none of them do much if anything.

This happens to my phone and my wife's. We both have a 920.

I understand waiting for apps to arrive, and I understand a few bugs here and there, but this issue/bug simply asinine. A fix for this should have been a priority, and should have been out by now.

This thread has been going on for a while if you want to vent in here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/203595-storage-details-other-category.html

Here is a long thread over at answers.microsoft.com: What is "Other" under Storage? - Microsoft Community

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I had a talk with Nokia Live Support In India ,and they too it seems have no idea how to fix it until the OS maker does. I have just bought the phone back on Saturday, ie 2 days and the Other is 900+ MB . Seriously Worrying.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Go to storage check and have a look at "App data" in Details>Apps>Details, reinstall the ones that take up most space. For example I use ProShot a lot, and with previous versions it had several MB "installed" and cca 200MB as "app data". Reinstalled, away it went..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diane Cunhm