Ad Block in WP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Need4Geek

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
There's no ad-block app in the Windows Phone Store, and probably will never get the certification because it blocks the only way which developers use to get money from free apps. Windows Phone is also closed source, which means that many apps (and features) are impossible to develop.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Let us devs earn :p ... In windows phone you always have the option of buying for ad free apps in case you are interested and the Dev has made it available.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Let us devs earn :p ... In windows phone you always have the option of buying for ad free apps in case you are interested and the Dev has made it available.
I agree with you, and I do get paid apps in order to get rid of ads and support developers.

What I'd like to see is an ad-block for IE. I use Firefox as my primary desktop browser, mainly since I can use Ad-block and Ghostery.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Need4Geek

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Does it block ads on YouTube? Because those are the most annoying ones.

DNTMe can't block all YouTube ads because Google uses a different method to provide them, but you can get rid of ads using an embedded YouTube version. Have you ever noticed that every embedded YouTube video (in other sites) doesn't contain ads nor age/content restrictions? This is one of a few workarounds you can use.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you, and I do get paid apps in order to get rid of ads and support developers.

What I'd like to see is an ad-block for IE. I use Firefox as my primary desktop browser, mainly since I can use Ad-block and Ghostery.

I secretly use it on Chrome too.. feeling a bit of shame :p, In my defense there are too many Ads on websites.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
DNTMe can't block all YouTube ads because Google uses a different method to provide them, but you can get rid of ads using an embedded YouTube version. Have you ever noticed that every embedded YouTube video (in other sites) doesn't contain ads nor age/content restrictions? This is one of a few workarounds you can use.

So it's pretty much useless. As opposed to chrome + ad block.

lasm2000

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I secretly use it on Chrome too.. feeling a bit of shame :p, In my defense there are too many Ads on websites.

Yes, that is essentially my point. I have no problem with devs getting some revenue from their apps (I have just tried Instance free and it is great). But there are some websites which are just plain offensively infested with ads and furthermore, I only have a 400mb per month plan (at 15 bucks with 500 minutes it is actually quite cheap!) and I am not like wasting them on an ad on top of another dancing ad.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to install an effective adblock in WP? Back when I used Android there was a way to install Ad Block until google blocked it (https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/03/google-censoring-android-apps). Now, since Microsoft doesn't really relies on selling ads for most of its income I would expect them to be more open in that regard and yet I can't find any ad blocking app in the store.

Apps by 3rd party developers are only allowed to interact with each other in very limited way - so unless Microsoft implement a contract that allows blocking all ads for another app, and that app implements it - I cannot think of anyway to get an ad blocker.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I believe ads in apps are fine for the free version, and paid apps should not have ads.

It's the websites, not the apps, where I like ad-block.

I think most of us would say the same ;), I don't mind ads in free apps as long as they are not intrusive.. i.e. ebuddy last time i used it on symbian start showing "adult" ads was rather annoying and very in very much in your face. Speaking of ebuddy that one app i haven't tried on WP8 lol, might give it a try again.

jimmiet

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
If you want "No Ads", buy the paid version, support the devs, encourage more WP development. Some people will do something for nothing but you have to remember how much time they spend bringing us their product and if there's a paid/no ads version, I'm all for it.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

Ad Block Plus already released for desktop IE. It's in Beta stage and you need to change the list of ad block from default to some other powerful, once you do, works like charm. You can find it on their official site and read their all FAQ and suggestions. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What I find shameful is that developers who use ads in their apps are admitting to blocking ads in websites. How is it that the website provider makes money again? How is that different from what you (and I) do in our apps? To block the ads is to steal from the developer, whether that developer writes apps or a website.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
BTW - I'm not saying that I'm better than anyone else... I used to pirate software all the time. But I've come to realize what I was doing was wrong, and I've changed my ways. I'm only trying to encourage that same change in others.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What I find shameful is that developers who use ads in their apps are admitting to blocking ads in websites. How is it that the website provider makes money again? How is that different from what you (and I) do in our apps? To block the ads is to steal from the developer, whether that developer writes apps or a website.

I'm not a developer. I don't pirate. However I don't see anything different with blocking ads in websites or recording a TV show on a DVR and skipping the commercials.

I pay for my Internet service, so if I don't want to see ads on websites that's my option, just like if I don't want to see TV commercials.

EchoRedux

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to have an adblock when viewing websites via internet explorer, but yeah dev's deserve their money and adblockers for ads in apps should not be allowed and probably will never be allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven