People who ask for close button - Surely ex-Android/Android users

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
People expecting the ability to close apps could be former Symbian users as well - there is a little cross in the upper right (or left? Not sure) corner in the multitask view of an app to close it immediately. (iOS 7 reminds me more and more of Symbian. Even the icons look very symbian like. But that's another subject.)

BTW, each time when I play with my friends iPhone, I desperately look for the back button LOL

The other day , I tried to use back button on my iPod Touch too.

Lot of android users press search button on WP thinking it was back button (since android back button is on right side)

CopaCC

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Actually, button placement depends on the device. My Android (Samsung) had four buttons, with the Back button being the second from right. The Search button was far right, same as WP. My daughter's HTC has only three buttons although I don't remember what order they're in.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521 using Tapatalk

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
People expecting the ability to close apps could be former Symbian users as well - there is a little cross in the upper right (or left? Not sure) corner in the multitask view of an app to close it immediately. (iOS 7 reminds me more and more of Symbian. Even the icons look very symbian like. But that's another subject.)

BTW, each time when I play with my friends iPhone, I desperately look for the back button LOL
I used to be a Symbian user and I already miss not having to close anything and still expect active multitasking.

I'm going to buy a Nokia 700 for myself in December. Or, maybe an 808 PureView?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
A week back , My friend took my 820 to play some games , So handed it to him.

He launched a game and played sometime , reached for me and asked "how to close the app ?" , I said "press center key" and he did it.
Then he launched another game and again asked "how to close this ?" , So I finally told him press "back button" until you reach home screen completely and can't go any further (showed it to him).

He is like "Wow , That's a long process" and I asked "Anyway , Why would you want to close the games/apps ?" and he said "If you don't close them , games will lag" and I immediately took the device and launched each game one-by-one like 7-8 games , "Launched a game , waited for the level/mission to load and pressed start button" , repeated same for all 7-8 games.

Device worked buttery fluid without frame drops or any performance hiccups and I also resumed the games and showed him how fast they resume.

He is like "wtf"

I usually never close any apps , That has been same with my other products (iPod Touch , iPad) , If i want to exit an app or game , I press Home Button/Start Button in iOS/WP.

When telling someone the benefits of WP, I think this is one of the most important features. It shows, point blank, that you don't need to close apps if the OS is written correctly. Thanks for the message.

pranav rai

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
When telling someone the benefits of WP, I think this is one of the most important features. It shows, point blank, that you don't need to close apps if the OS is written correctly. Thanks for the message.

While its very convenient to have it, there are some applications(games) that drain battery like crazy when exited like this. I cant quite recall which game it was on my 920, but there is a bug of some sort for sure. Will try to find out which particular game it was (i think it was angry birds, nt sure though)

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
While its very convenient to have it, there are some applications(games) that drain battery like crazy when exited like this. I cant quite recall which game it was on my 920, but there is a bug of some sort for sure. Will try to find out which particular game it was (i think it was angry birds, nt sure though)
Not particular one, almost all of them is written in a bad way, non of them actually tombstoned in the background. Effectively making people wondering if that is a MS mistake which is kinda a yes and no situation.

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes , having the choice of closing an app will only help to destroy the platform. After all god forbid we have the choice of actually choosing which app we want open in the background.

-_-

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Isn't there going to be an option to close apps in the section where you hold the back button - like a taskbar. I'm sure I seen some leaks where they had an X beside each app. That's how my Nokia N8 used to do it! Here's to hoping!

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm a little obsessive-compulsive with my apps and battery life. I want everything I don't need closed to conserve battery life, even if it won't be substantial.
Note: I have never been an iOS or an Android user.

I'm the same, i prefer to close anything im not using if I don't need to go back to it. Unlike most people I use my phone mostly for work only therefore battery life is key form me. This way people only contact me via my phone if its urgent, when I get home I use my laptop i.e steam, facebook. Otherwise my phone will be constantly buzzing with notifications since there is no sure fire way to stop the phone from vibrating or set profiles in WP8.

theroyboy44

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You would want to close the app because it SAVES battery. If you don't care about battery saving then there is no need to close the app because leaving it open keeps it running so there shouldn't be lag. A close button or something like what the iOS 7 update will do where you can just swipe up on the task menu would be helpful for closing apps so you don't have to go through a long series of back button mashes.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You would want to close the app because it SAVES battery. If you don't care about battery saving then there is no need to close the app because leaving it open keeps it running so there shouldn't be lag. A close button or something like what the iOS 7 update will do where you can just swipe up on the task menu would be helpful for closing apps so you don't have to go through a long series of back button mashes.

On other platforms, perhaps. But not here, with a few exceptions. http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...naging-background-apps-why-you-dont-need.html

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
It's not only about whether or whether not it uses resources, but it's hard to utilize the multitasking if theres like 20 things open and you are multitasking between just a few things that might be on the different ends of the view. I would hope for some unified controls with Win 8, as in you could drag the apps/windows down to close them in the multitasking view sorta like you do with Win 8.

I had hoped that the card view would be more like the IE tab view. swiping left or right sometimes takes longer than it should.

cotras

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes , having the choice of closing an app will only help to destroy the platform. After all god forbid we have the choice of actually choosing which app we want open in the background.

-_-
Agreed. Having the "choice to close" would confuse people terribly. Crowds everywhere would gasp and flee in disbelief, many would be stomped on by masses, injured, even lives would be lost :-(

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I always back out of my apps and never hit the home button. I even close my internet tabs. I just like to have it cleard up. I also use a stop music app to remove the music that is displayed if you press volume.

I understand there is no need, but I like it that way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans