Hardware/software feature idea for future phones

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So I was using the WPCentral app with my left hand wanted to press the 'refresh' button for the forums. I couldn't do it because it is placed for right hand use.

Also, with bigger Android phones, you often see a feature that allows the keyboard to be shifted left or right depending on which hand you are holding it with. With my Optimus G Pro, you do this by pressing an arrow.

This got me thinking: phones should have some type of proximity sensor (or pressure sensor of some kind) on each side of the phone that could detect which hand you are holding it with. WP8 could then have an API available to app devs that would change certain parts of the app around to make use easier. The OS itself could take advantage of this also.

Considering we are bound to see bigger screens on WP phones with 1080p support coming, a feature like this would be killer, esp. if it was required on all WP phones.

What do you think?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem reaching the refresh holding it with my left hand. But I know not everyone can. If they do something like this, I would like it to be optional. I can see the benefit for some, but I'd rather not have things moving around depending on what hand I have it in.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem reaching the refresh holding it with my left hand. But I know not everyone can. If they do something like this, I would like it to be optional. I can see the benefit for some, but I'd rather not have things moving around depending on what hand I have it in.

It also depends on which WP phone you have and how you hold it when talking about reach.

And I wasn't suggesting that everywhere on the phone you would see a huge switch. Keyboard was the easiest suggestion. But when talking in general, it would just be key buttons that MS feels could be issues with some (I love huge screens but I'll d@mn if I can hit every part of the screen!). Also, devs could use it as little or as much as they wanted. I don't want to see a mirror effect, just key areas.

If you have used a phone with a 5" or bigger (which WP will have within the year), then you know that button placement can get tricky.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I think it's too complicated and confusing - it will really depend on the phone and user, and make it just right will be very difficult (They cannot even get screen orientation right). Actually this can be easily solved by developers - pull down to refresh, problem solved. UI design on phone is quite tricky - you cannot throw buttons everywhere - iOS putting back button on top left corner is a bad idea, and it will not be solved by an even more convoluted solution

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos