Am I nuts for wanting to do this? (android to WP, etc.)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well one thing I will point out is the L925 has 16gb and non expandable where as the L928 has 32gb also non expandable. More over the O/S takes 1.94gb currently and you don't necessarily get 32gb (we get 29gb on L920) or 16gb (so it would be like 14-15gbish minus 1.94gb) for the L925.

So if storage is not an issue then you do have two options :) or rather three if you don't mind having little to no support then pick up the Samsung as that has expandable storage. However most will suggest stay with a nokia windows phone and I personally agree.

Last point I will mention - Sorry to be blunt to those rocking their HTC's but DO NOT by any means get a HTC Windows Phone.. you will be totally buggered..unless HTC clean up their act.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
tmobile has been on a EOL role lately with Windows Phone..so be careful..
Been with tmobile for years and I actually really like them..but possibly not seeing future updates (on an OS that desperately needs the) because tmobile decided to EOL it early kinda sucks

so if i was you, i'd just stick to verizon and get the 928

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Drive will probably come out of Beta with the Amber update or sometime around then (that's just a guess) which if it turns into what it was like on Symbian will be very good. Keep in mind that HERE Drive can use offline maps.

The one thing that should be pointed out is understanding that WP is nothing like Android. If you're expecting any access at all to a file system you're going to the wrong platform. Also the Zune software doesn't work with WP8, you need to use the Win7 software for WP8. If you use Win8 there's a WP8 app that installs automatically. There are also a couple of little things that may drive you a bit batty, like anything to do with Google and one of the things I tell anyone who picks up a WP is don't think of it like any other smartphone. You need to approach it as WP and accept it the way it is otherwise you'll be disappointed.

If you're just picking up a WP for xbox music why not just pick up a cheap WP8 then?

Yep I understand the Zune software doesn't work I was more talking about the music side of it i.e. the subscription service. I've read about the file system stuff too so that will be a change, although I don't really go into my file managers as much as I used to in Android so maybe I've subconsciously adjusted to getting ready without know it for WP lol.

Windows Phone is the best mobile OS, you won't regret it, but! regarding Xbox Music on Windows Phone, it's totally f*cked up! So if that is your main joy, be prepared!

I've heard though the next update or two (possibly the one coming on the 925?) is supposed to fix a lot of the Xbox Music app issues though?

Well one thing I will point out is the L925 has 16gb and non expandable where as the L928 has 32gb also non expandable. More over the O/S takes 1.94gb currently and you don't necessarily get 32gb (we get 29gb on L920) or 16gb (so it would be like 14-15gbish minus 1.94gb) for the L925.

So if storage is not an issue then you do have two options :) or rather three if you don't mind having little to no support then pick up the Samsung as that has expandable storage. However most will suggest stay with a nokia windows phone and I personally agree.

Last point I will mention - Sorry to be blunt to those rocking their HTC's but DO NOT by any means get a HTC Windows Phone.. you will be totally buggered..unless HTC clean up their act.

I don't think I'm too concerned about the storage. My current phone is 32GB with 28GB of total space (like the 920 in your example) and I have 18GB available. However that's really like 22GB available because I think about 4GB of that is backups of my ROM that I've made before flashing new ones. So even though it seems backwards to me to go to a 16GB phone I think I'll actually be ok.

Oh, and yeah I'll definitely go Nokia if I do this because one of the reason I'm looking at these phones is actually the camera. I don't always want to lug around my DSLR, but I don't have a good point & shoot either and my previous cell cameras have pretty much been garbage. If I stuck with Android I'd end up with the "Nexus Experience" HTC One also on t-mobile but then I'm probably stuck on the camera again because the samples I've seen on it are really nothing special even though HTC is pushing their "megapixel" camera on it as the best thing ever (only 4MP but larger pixels for more light).

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
tmobile has been on a EOL role lately with Windows Phone..so be careful..
Been with tmobile for years and I actually really like them..but possibly not seeing future updates (on an OS that desperately needs the) because tmobile decided to EOL it early kinda sucks

so if i was you, i'd just stick to verizon and get the 928

Yeah that is for sure one concern I have to think about. I definitely do like the 928 as well too I was just trying to get out from under the Verizon contract thing I guess. Anyway thanks for all the feedback everyone. Definitely gives me a lot of things to think about and keep in mind.

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and yeah I'll definitely go Nokia if I do this because one of the reason I'm looking at these phones is actually the camera. I don't always want to lug around my DSLR, but I don't have a good point & shoot either and my previous cell cameras have pretty much been garbage. If I stuck with Android I'd end up with the "Nexus Experience" HTC One also on t-mobile but then I'm probably stuck on the camera again because the samples I've seen on it are really nothing special even though HTC is pushing their "megapixel" camera on it as the best thing ever (only 4MP but larger pixels for more light).

You might want to think about the Nokia 1020... 41 megapixels with Nokia's already proven camera technology that comes with the 925 and the 928. I know its on AT&T and some people think that AT&T is evil or something but it'd more than meet your camera needs.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
You might want to think about the Nokia 1020... 41 megapixels with Nokia's already proven camera technology that comes with the 925 and the 928. I know its on AT&T and some people think that AT&T is evil or something but it'd more than meet your camera needs.

Yeah I don't want to do AT&T. More money than t-mobile or staying with Verizon. Like 25-30% more.

Last edited:

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Other than the fact you won't have unlimited data, AT&T and Verizon are almost penny for penny the same price... but to each, his own.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Other than the fact you won't have unlimited data, AT&T and Verizon are almost penny for penny the same price... but to each, his own.

My current grandfathered in plan on Verizon with 450 minutes, 250 texts, unlimited data is $76 a month after an employer discount. T-Mobile would be about $80 depending on my insurance choices for unlimited everything plus I can get an employer discount with them as well. I can also get one with AT&T but unlike my Verizon one, AT&T would only be a discount on the voice part. The minimum I'd need on AT&T is 450 minutes, unlimited texts since they don't have a lower level plan other than none, and 3GB of data. That runs about $96 depending on insurance choices with my discount. Both the T-Mo and AT&T final numbers I mentioned include an estimated taxes/fees based off what I pay on Verizon in taxes/fees. Yes AT&T and Verizon are similar if you are a new customer but it would be a noticeable bill increase to go from being a current Verizon customer to AT&T.

sonic1519

May 7, 2013
Visit site
you can adjust volume or silent by tapping on the volume switch and then touching the volume icon.
it will then change. no need to go into settings

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Just make sure you're okay with missing the "little things." Some of the Fanboys on here won't tell you, but the music app is a pain - it's hard to make a playlist, and there's no orientation lock. There is no timer, or accurate timer app available for WP8 and the autocorrect feature doesn't work when you're searching in internet explorer on your phone, and there's no notification center.

Overall I like my HTC 8X, but WP is missing out on little things that irk me.

So, it's up to you. Do you want to switch and miss some features? WP does do things with the Home Screen that no other OS does. That's what I like about it.

Also, check out Tmobile's prepaid options. They're pretty nice. For 70$ a month you can get unlimited talk, text and data. 60$ a month gets you unlimited talk and text, and then 2.5gb of 4g data.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the T-Mobile no contract thing... You can go no contract with your current vzw plan by purchasing the phone in full like you have to on T-Mobile. And all carriers let you upgrade as often as you like if you're willing to pay full price for the phone like T-Mobile. The only advantage T-Mobile offers is cheaper plans if you're not financing your phone through them but in many places the coverage isn't worth the discount.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
In addition, I also switched from wm to Android to WP7 and now WP8 and have been very happy with WP and Xbox music and here drive. I don't see myself switching any time soon except maybe to the EOS. I'm very happy with WP and Nokia.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had issues with HERE Drive for several months now. No solution and I've left feedback with Nokia. I live in the UK. It's also missing traffic and other 'vital' bits for it to be a true GPS nav.

Considering drive is free, works flawless for me and I use no data....id say its a score. I live in Canada so maybe that's the difference? Or maybe I just don't depend so much on GPS like some others. I've only used it a hand full of times are only had good experiences with it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Considering drive is free, works flawless for me and I use no data....id say its a score. I live in Canada so maybe that's the difference? Or maybe I just don't depend so much on GPS like some others. I've only used it a hand full of times are only had good experiences with it.

Since I'm originally from Canada I get where you're coming from with not relying on GPS because I never use to either but when you live in the UK, going to places you don't know and visiting other countries and driving in them having a proper GPS is must. HERE Drive is nowhere near the level it was on Symbian. It had live traffic updates, speed cameras and so on and I know that's all coming once it's out of Beta. However that's not my issue. Both my wife's 820 and my 920 have the issue I'm referring to. So there's obviously something wrong with the software or the phones.

To basically tell you what it is, the guide 'breaks' and tells you to turn left. The happens continuously on any route. I've uninstalled, reinstalled both maps and software on both our phones an still the issue remains. This also happens in other countries too so not just the UK. So obviously an issue with HERE Drive or both phones, which wouldn't really surprise me.

flyinion

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the T-Mobile no contract thing... You can go no contract with your current vzw plan by purchasing the phone in full like you have to on T-Mobile. And all carriers let you upgrade as often as you like if you're willing to pay full price for the phone like T-Mobile. The only advantage T-Mobile offers is cheaper plans if you're not financing your phone through them but in many places the coverage isn't worth the discount.

That's a good point actually. I hadn't thought about that side of it because I would indeed want to purchase the phone outright on Verizon in order to keep my unlimited data. Also, I know I was dead set on not doing AT&T earlier, but since the EOS is so close, even though I don't really need that level of camera I think I'll wait for the reviews on it to make a final decision on the carrier aspect. I wasn't planning to upgrade until around August anyway so that gives time for reviews/bugs/etc. to come out.

Belushi Schweeft

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Definitely, definitely, do NOT get an HTC Windows Phone...
Personally, I have gone HTC twice; the Touch Diamond (a horrifically laggy Windows Mobile 6 phone) and the HTC Mozart (it was a really nice phone to use, but...).
Orange replaced my Touch Diamond 4 times as a result of the touchscreen becoming unresponsive, but that's nothing to the 9 Mozarts they had to send me as a result of the touchscreen simply not working down one side, which made entering a password or answer a call impossible...
As for the Windows Phone 8 OS, it's lovely, really. If you use a Windows 8 computer you'll find syncing is easier than on Windows 7 but you can use Windows Media Player if you don't like drag'n'drop (and I do, for the record).
I have the Lumia 920 and it's definitely the best phone I have ever owned, by a long way. 32 gig storage is actually ok as all my photos upload to SkyDrive and I deleted them from the Camera Roll periodically. I have had it since November and I haven't filled it. Buy a second-hand Nokia wireless charger on eBay and you can hammer it all day and not run the battery down. For those moaning about Instagram, get "Instance" from the app store; it really does work...
I hope Microsoft persist with this OS as it's really, really good and Nokia make some great handsets at all pricepoints. I'm going to diss iOS or Android, but having used both I see no reason to go back. I have everything running on the Windows 8 ecosystem (PC, Surface Pro, Lumia 920) and, do you know what? It works.

Jason Wilder

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I've had a HTC Trophy for 2 years, and my contract is up in a few months. I've really enjoyed the Windows phone, but Verizon's update for WP7.8 has really ticked me off. That update has been out for over a year, and Verizon has yet to come out with a 7.8 update for the Trophy. I eventually ran a manual update hack. I have actually been thinking of going to the Samsung Galaxy 4S, but I can't make up my mind. I don't want to get stuck on another Windows Phone and a major update comes out, then Verizon never pulls the trigger on the update (like the 8.1 update)! I'm also getting really tired of the lack of apps, not that it's entirely Microsoft's fault. Every time I find some company with a smartphone app, it's either iOS or Android. You ask them if they're going to release a WP version and they say they're considering it, well what are they waiting for? WP8 looks like there's a lot of improvements, but I'm getting tired of being the guinea pig.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
WP "the dark side?" I'd say it's the reverse, Android is the "dark side." :winktongue: The 925 is a gorgeous phone, and it's just like the 920, only with that stunning AMOLED screen and that sixth camera lens. As for the switching carriers part, T-Mobile is the only carrier I've been with and I've been with them for 11 1/2 years now. I think you should enjoy them, especially now with the UNcarrier thing they've got going on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos