Do we need 1080p?

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
If MS and Nokia wants more customers then yes if MS wants to shut down windows phone then no, just let it move slowly behind iPhones and crap load of androids.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
maybe, just to please people who want to have the highest spec phone even though it might not matter.

I think quad core or more could be helpful for powerful games with controllers support .

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, we do need it. In an age of Retina displays and 1080p Galaxy S4 phones, we need it just to show that we're technologically relevant in the "specs wars". But if you ignore the bickering, hold two phones up to each other and look at them, then yes... there's no denying that the 1080p on an S4 or HTC One phone looks gorgeous. Show the same photo on a 1080p screen and a 768p screen and tell me which you'd rather look at!

I think too often we get our panties in a wad over higher resolution meaning that we cram more onto the screen and things get "smaller". That's clearly not the only case... you can scale the items on the display to the resolution and achieve something wonderful too. I'm using Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro, and hands down the new scaling is FANTASTIC! I don't have to keep my laptop on "125%" all the time to see things. Apps that support the scaling just automatically adapt font sizes and it's a wonderful thing.

I don't want to make 1080p Windows Phones that have 6 columns, for example, any more than some of the commenters we saw on the site early in the week. I don't necessarily want a Phablet device either. I just want the screen I have to be crisp, bright, and readable. 1080p 4.5" display would be the epitome of crisp and clear.

If you still don't think we need 1080p, do you think we needed it on our TV's? Go back to a tube TV and tell me that we don't need 1080p. Try comparing a Windows Mobile 6.5 display with a Lumia 920 and tell me we don't need 768p compared to the old size. It's utter nonsense to say "we don't need to move forward!" Yes, we do.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Holding your phone from you at a standard distance 30-40cm you cannot tell the difference between the screen on a htc8x, htc one or a gs4. 1080p isn't needed on mobile devices. The current crop is perfectly good for media consumption on a small scale. I personally would rather keep my 768p display and enjoy a couple of extra hours on my battery than go up to 1080p just for specs and not be able to make it through the day on a full charge.

Step up the screen size to phablet 6" plus and yes I think you do need it.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
People talking about iPhones and Retina displays don't know what they're talking about. The 920 has a higher pixel density than the iPhone 5, and at a larger screen size! The iPhone has the worst specs on the market and yet people still hold it up as a standard. Get your heads out of the marketing people's butts.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I really don't have a problem with 800x480 on the 820, I had a 4S and an Ativ S, both with pretty high ppi, and don't think there's a difference (in normal use, of course, when you want to see it you can)

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No because you cannot tell the difference on a 5 inch screen, but as mentioned earlier, it may be relevant just to shut up those who only care about specs

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
In a nutshell:

From a purely emotionless and technical viewpoint, we do not need it on smartphones with display diagonals below 5". Only a handful of people in a thousand have the almost superhuman eyesight to make out a difference during normal use.

I have compared the LG Optimus, the GS4 and the HTC One displays to my L920, and in terms of sharpness, I can't tell a difference during normal use. What I do notice very well are differences in contrast and colour reproduction. Because I prefer AMOLED screens, I would give the nod to the GS4 display over that of my L920, but that has nothing to do with the GS4 having a 1080p display. I also prefer the L925's display over that of my L920 for the same reason.

Software also plays a role in all this. For example, WP doesn't always fully resolve jpeg images before displaying them in the image browser. That allows the device to flip faster between images, but makes them look a bit blurry on screen. Some people mistakenly attribute that blurriness to insufficient display resolution, which understandably is also a big source of confusion.

In general, our eyes are far more sensible to motion and differences in brightness, contrast and colour than display resolution. However, those attributes are a lot harder to improve upon, requiring real research and engineering effort, which is why progress is slower and that doesn't lend itself well to marketing materials (which expect to be updated at least once a year). Nevertheless, improved marketability is a real reason why we need 1080p displays. The overwhelming majority of normal and sane people don't have the time to really look into this issue, and are thus happy to stick with the bigger numbers are better approach.

When moving beyond 5" there will come a point where 1080p makes sense again, but where that point lies is a very individual thing. At the end of the day, that is the only thing that matters. If you personally can't tell a difference between 720p and 1080p displays (as I can't), then there is no reason to place any importance in it. You are better off saving the money, or getting a device with an equally powerfull GPU and enjoying a smoother smartphone experience.

Fluidity of motion is far more important to me than resolution, so my goal is to get the WP device that ships with a 720p AMOLED display and pairs it with the highest end GPU available. That combination will give me the best user experience.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
People talking about iPhones and Retina displays don't know what they're talking about. The 920 has a higher pixel density than the iPhone 5, and at a larger screen size! The iPhone has the worst specs on the market and yet people still hold it up as a standard. Get your heads out of the marketing people's butts.

The iPhone has a great display, albeit with a lower ppi. The colour representation is top notuch, and screen size is a subjective matter. Specs are used to compete against Android phones as that is what is primarily marketed (100 cores, 4k display 16 GB RAM etc). I used a GS4 the other day, and even though it is in terms of specifications a supercomputer, it didn?t exactly run like one. The iPhone 5 with older specs, well it runs just fine. The Nokia 620 for crying out loud runs perfectly fine and look at its specs. I personally think the overall experience on the phone is what counts and that isn?t always directly proportional to specs. I use iOS, and were I to change platforms, WP is probably the safest bet for me as the approach is quite similar.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
The iPhone has a great display, albeit with a lower ppi. The colour representation is top notuch, and screen size is a subjective matter.
What I was getting at is that the 920 has more screen real estate thn the iPhone 5 and still a greater pixel density, which means its pixels are smaller than the iPhone's, meaning you will get a sharper image. The iPhone 5 doesn't have a 1080p screen and yet it sells just fine.
Specs are used to compete against Android phones as that is what is primarily marketed (100 cores, 4k display 16 GB RAM etc). I used a GS4 the other day, and even though it is in terms of specifications a supercomputer, it didn?t exactly run like one. The iPhone 5 with older specs, well it runs just fine. The Nokia 620 for crying out loud runs perfectly fine and look at its specs. I personally think the overall experience on the phone is what counts and that isn?t always directly proportional to specs. I use iOS, and were I to change platforms, WP is probably the safest bet for me as the approach is quite similar.
This is exactly what I was saying. People should get out of the Spec Wars and into the Experience Wars. Which phone runs the smoothest? Fastest? Has the best camera, etc. Numbers on paper mean nothing.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Do we need 1080p? No. Do we want 1080p? Yes.

That's like asking if you need a 620 hp supercharged 6.2 liter V8 Corvette ZR1 to go grocery shopping. No, because a Toyota Prius will do just fine but I guarantee you would have more fun and be happier going in the Corvette!

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com

That's like asking if you need a 620 hp supercharged 6.2 liter V8 Corvette ZR1 to go grocery shopping. No, because a Toyota Prius will do just fine but I guarantee you would have more fun and be happier going in the Corvette!
Why? You would get better gas mileage in the Prius and probably a quieter, smoother ride.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, a poor analogy. With such a car there is at least a difference to be noticed, whereas you won't get any real benefit from a 1080p display.

laserfloyd

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
On a device that's under 4.5"? No.
On a tablet? Yes

Thing is, we already know 1080 is coming. Will it be worth it? I just can't justify a small handheld device with that much resolution. I have a 920 and it's more than enough for me. To please the buzzword happy and spec happy people though, it's a good thing it's coming.

It's for a niche group if you ask me. The layman just wants a phone that looks decent and more importantly just works. :)

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Well, we want it. I really want it lol. I was at a T-Mobile store the other day and the S4 was on display. The screen was so sharp and clear that I couldn't even tell the phone was on. The screen looked fake, like it was painted on.

The only thing I'm worried about with 1080p screens is the impact on battery life. As it stands, the only way I can get through a day with my 920 is by barely using it. Nokia needs to make sure that whoever supplies them with batteries better be giving them good batteries. And also we need processors with better battery management.

I want to see a Lumia with a 5-5.7 inch 1080p AMOLED screen, a Snapdragon 800, and a Pureview camera.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)