Do we need 1080p?

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Yes. Well, we want it. I really want it lol. I was at a T-Mobile store the other day and the S4 was on display. The screen was so sharp and clear that I couldn't even tell the phone was on. The screen looked fake, like it was painted on.
That's mainly due to the AMOLED display, not the 1080p. The S4 with a 720p screen would look just as clear.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
All of you saying we don't need it are still missing the point... it's called technology, and it's always moving forward. So you're either lying if you say you don't want your tech to improve, or you're stuck in the past. Stop trying to justify what we have today (which is awesome) with what's coming in the future.

Regarding the claim that you can't tell a difference... bulls**t. Yeah, if I hold one phone by itself, I never think about it. I'm blind as a bat, though, and when I hold two phones next to each other I can see the differences (regardless of which is better). BTW, I never suggested other phones were better... I just said they were great, and they are, so again... stop trying to instill a false comfort to justify what you have.

As for the battery life argument... again, bulls**t. How's the battery life on the S4 or One? And on the Lumia 920? Pretty drastic difference, actually.

I really don't understand why anyone wanting the future of Windows Phone to succeed would suggest that we don't need a technological improvement... 1080p, quad processors, or any other feature. I'm sure the same arguments were made about accelerometers, compass, NFC, and any other feature.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
All of you saying we don't need it are still missing the point... it's called technology, and it's always moving forward. So you're either lying if you say you don't want your tech to improve, or you're stuck in the past. Stop trying to justify what we have today (which is awesome) with what's coming in the future.

Regarding the claim that you can't tell a difference... bulls**t. Yeah, if I hold one phone by itself, I never think about it. I'm blind as a bat, though, and when I hold two phones next to each other I can see the differences (regardless of which is better). BTW, I never suggested other phones were better... I just said they were great, and they are, so again... stop trying to instill a false comfort to justify what you have.

As for the battery life argument... again, bulls**t. How's the battery life on the S4 or One? And on the Lumia 920? Pretty drastic difference, actually.

I really don't understand why anyone wanting the future of Windows Phone to succeed would suggest that we don't need a technological improvement... 1080p, quad processors, or any other feature. I'm sure the same arguments were made about accelerometers, compass, NFC, and any other feature.

No, the human eye cannot discern the difference between 720p and 1080p on a sub-6 inch screen. That's a fact.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Bring notification center and separate ringtones and volume control and other stuffs 1st, this 1080p is hobby...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Well... It sells better, but windows 8 should have supported 1080p and HDPI from the beginning and THAT'S a serious flaw for anyone who does photo editing.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, a poor analogy. With such a car there is at least a difference to be noticed, whereas you won't get any real benefit from a 1080p display.

Not necessarily. It's a great analogy because there are benefits with going to a 1080p display. For people that love to web browse, you get the added benefit of seeing more of the web page and more information - yes, the font will be small and you'd have to zoom in - instead of having to scroll more often, higher res photos will be better displayed especially with a monster camera like on the upcoming Lumia EOS, and native resolution 1080p movies and videos instead of scaled-down versions. Just because I can't visually notice every single pixel @ one foot away from my face doesn't mean that there aren't benefits to having more.

On a device that's under 4.5"? No.
On a tablet? Yes

Thing is, we already know 1080 is coming. Will it be worth it? I just can't justify a small handheld device with that much resolution. I have a 920 and it's more than enough for me. To please the buzzword happy and spec happy people though, it's a good thing it's coming.

It's for a niche group if you ask me. The layman just wants a phone that looks decent and more importantly just works. :)

To be honest, your whole argument just doesn't sound right. You currently have a 920 which just happens to be the highest spec'ed phone available for WP8. By your argument, you would have been perfectly happy with a 820 or even a 520 for that matter, but you chose to purchase the 920. The layman does not just want a phone that looks decent and just works. They want the best phone they can get at the price they can afford or else we'd all be happy with $50 feature phones. The Galaxy S4 is not a popular phone because it looks decent or because it just works. Quite the opposite, actually. It's an ugly, cheap plastic device with laggy software.

Thank you!

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
different categories with different price point is a must they are producing low/mid/high end phones at the moment i don't see the problem with providing the highest end hardware possible like phablets

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
There is also a placebo affect when you say something is better than something else.

Jimmy Kimmel had his producers take an iPhone 4s out onto the streets a couple days before the iPhone 5 was announced, and every person that they showed the phone to raved about its better display and how much thinner and lighter it was compared to their phone. Some of them pulled out an iPhone 4s when asked what phone they had. Even putting their own 4s next to the producer's 4s they still said there was a huge difference.

Pixels are in the mind of the beholder.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

You're acting as if technology must improve for technologies sake. That seems wrong to me. Technology must improve for our sake, for the people that use technology. If people can't readily see a difference, there will be no real drive towards it. At some point display technology just becomes good enough.

That is also why most people are fine with their DVD's. Blue-ray players have been on the market for ages now, but they aren't seeing the mass market adoption rates that DVD's had back in the day. This despite the quality difference being much more noticable than the difference between 720p and 1080p smartphone displays.

Technologically, we could have moved beyond the quality of blue-ray years ago, but it's not happening, because there is no real market for something better. Similarly, 1080p is likely the end of the line for smartphone displays. It's the blue-ray of smartphones.

Last edited:

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the education, chief. I'll be sure to find a different eye doctor then, since you seem to know best.

Are you saying your eye doctor is your source or what? I'm confused. Either that or you're being rude because you're simply wrong. Truth be told, the human eye in a vacuum can not register beyond 312 PPI and the 920's exceeds that. WP8 excels in software, if you want someone tossing unnecessary hardware into the polished turd of software by all means, go android.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Not necessarily. It's a great analogy because there are benefits with going to a 1080p display. For people that love to web browse, you get the added benefit of seeing more of the web page and more information - yes, the font will be small and you'd have to zoom in - instead of having to scroll more often, higher res photos will be better displayed especially with a monster camera like on the upcoming Lumia EOS, and native resolution 1080p movies and videos instead of scaled-down versions. Just because I can't visually notice every single pixel @ one foot away from my face doesn't mean that there aren't benefits to having more!

To me it sounds like you are theorizing rather then judging based on the merits of the actual devices.

When I browse the web on a smartphone, I already have my pages zoomed out to the smallest font size I am comfortable reading. It's smaller than what most are comfortable with. However, even on my L920, it is still more than sharp enough. Switching over to a device with a 1080p display doesn't make it noticeably sharper, nor would I be comfortable reducing the font size any further. Hence absolutely useless for me.

I already addressed the other issues you raised elsewhere, so I'll leave it at that.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Answer is No.

Why ? Battery battery battery

This is my preference :
-Keep the 720p display
-Improve other aspects of the display (color gamut , gamma and not to forget the software optimization etc.)
-Increase Battery Life (If u put 1080p display , Surely we need bigger battery but Why not put same battery capacity for a 720p phone ?)
-Better Frame Rates (For the same GPU , Lower resolution screens always have better "frame rate" stability as well as lesser frame drops which would give better gaming too)

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
You're acting as if technology must improve for technologies sake. That seems wrong to me. Technology must improve for our sake, for the people that use technology. If people can't readily see a difference, there will be no real drive towards it. At some point display technology just becomes good enough...

So we didn't need Blu-ray and yet we have it. We didn't need smart phones either, a cell phone would suffice. We could just ride horses and yet we have cars, too. We've made a place for them in our lives and not just for the sake of it. Perceived or real improvements, technology does and must move forward.

You're missing the big picture. Windows Phone cannot survive, let alone thrive, against other platforms if we don't improve upon what we have when they are moving faster ahead of us.

Buy the tech that makes sense for you, but don't be the narrow-minded fools that hold the platform back.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
So we didn't need Blu-ray and yet we have it. We didn't need smart phones either, a cell phone would suffice. We could just ride horses and yet we have cars, too. We've made a place for them in our lives and not just for the sake of it. Perceived or real improvements, technology does and must move forward.

You're missing the big picture. Windows Phone cannot survive, let alone thrive, against other platforms if we don't improve upon what we have when they are moving faster ahead of us.

Buy the tech that makes sense for you, but don't be the narrow-minded fools that hold the platform back.

Lets be honest here , What would you prefer ? A technology which is nicely implemented or a technology which shows only numbers/specs ?

iPhone 5 doesn't even have a 720p display and it is selling in millions (probably crossed 50 million sales long back)
iPad Mini doesn't have a 720p display , it was a big hit right from start and sold in 10s of millions

What people want is not specs or numbers.

People need something useful and something implemented in a good way.(atleast that's what I want)

A fancy display or a quad core with pathetic battery life isn't what consumers want.
Look at Poor Consumer satisfaction rates for Android , Now Compare that with iPhone or WP.

Give me a 1080p display or quad core with great battery life.

That day , I will say "Yeah , I want this device"

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Whoa there GT2L! Calm down. :wink:

Look. We do need smartphones. They allow us to communicate and organize our lives more efficiently. Their commercial success proves how appreciated they are! We do need cars, and I don't think I need to explain why. Again, the commercial success proves that almost every last human on this earth thinks cars are useful. Blu-ray... well, sort of... their commercial success isn't even in the same ballpark as that of smartphones or cars. They've even fallen far short of the commercial success of DVDs. Yes, Blu-Ray is here, but the markets have proven to us that people don't think Blu-Ray technology is that incredibly important. Why?

I think you're throwing all types of technology into a single basket, which doesn't make sense. A CPU, due to the nature of what it does, can never be fast enough. We will always want faster CPUs (and better battery life which are conflicting goals but that is a different topic). Display resolution isn't like that. At some point display resolution is good enough. 1080p is beyond that point.

On the other hand, I haven't seen anybody here dispute the marketing angle. Ultimately, it seems every last person here agrees with you. We do need 1080p displays, even if that serves no other purpose than marketing. The dispute here is only theoretical...

Personally, I'll be looking for a 720p display paired with the best possible GPU as to get better frame rates than on 1080p variants, but everyone is free to choose whatever display they want...

Last edited:

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
A few years ago every phone manufacturer tried to give their phones a 3D display. People said it was the latest thing and that everyone needed to get on the latest trend. Obviously putting the latest tech in a phone isn't always the smartest thing to do.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
A fancy display or a quad core with pathetic battery life isn't what consumers want.
Look at Poor Consumer satisfaction rates for Android , Now Compare that with iPhone or WP.

The truth is, people believe marketing hype. That's what 'retina display' was - marketing hype. So it's not just about the specs per se, it's about how those stats are marketed. A quad core with pathetic battery life may not be what consumers want, but they can be talked into buying it if the spin is right. Samsung has certainly proved that. The poor consumer satisfaction rates are indicative of the marketing promising more than the what's delivered. But by that time the customer has already parted with his/her money - so the marketing has succeeded. It just has to work harder next time to get that customer to buy again in two years time.

So WP doesn't NEED 1080p to succeed. But if it doesn't have it, the marketing people will need to be very clever to combat the perceptions that the phones are somehow 'inferior'. Because at the coal face, the casual weekend sales person isn't equipped to rationally explain to potential customers the finer points of pixel density vs resolution vs eyeball physiology. They simply say, "well this one's got a quad core processor and full HD display, and this other one's...mmm...bright yellow".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb