need your help, can't decide which phone.

Subserved_Meteor

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, so I have a small question.

I just got an offer for two phones, the Lumia 820 incl. Wireless charging plate and the HTC 8x, both for basically the same price.
also both devices are basically new and with warranty.

Now my problem is, I really love the design of the 8x how it looks and feels like. Yet I am not so much a fan of unibody, as I use my phone a lot during the day and have long days, or I go to festivals in the summer and am not able to charge my phone all the time.

my current phone is the HTC HD7 with wp 7.8 on it. I often carry around a second battery with me, and even bought a 2700 mAh battery for those times where it needs to stay alive extra long.

On the other hand, Nokia is continuously supporting and pushing the platform unlike HTC. So I really don't know which phone to get.

What is your experience with either (or even both) of the phones? Which one do you suggest?

answers are much appreciated, thx ☺
:smile:

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
- As much as I love the design of both the 8x and the 920: I find myself using protecting covers too often, so I think the 820 has a little advantage here.
- Looking at GDR2 I would say OLED isnt bad either (double tap to wake)
- 16 GB of the 8x is simply not enough for MY needs (with all the apps, maps and music). The MicroSD slot of the 820 is very nice here

PLUS:

Nokia support and efforts are simply great. You will love Nokia. HTC just announced that they wont support their 1-year-old HTC One S anymore. And I dont expect them to support their WP8 handsets longer than their Android ones.

Finally, it's the design and the sound which is really great with the 8X. But I would take the 820.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
There are several options for additional battery life. I rooted around Amazon and found an external charger with some ungodly power about 13500 mAh. I tap into that puppy to recover my day when I need it. Also good for any device that can charge via USB. I think it was about 40-50 bucks for it. If you want something that you can fit your phone into, there is a battery backup called Brando. (Quick Review: Brando Power Jacket for Nokia Lumia 920 | Windows Phone Central) Its pretty good from what I read but you have to own a Lumia 920. They may build them for the 8X but I can't say.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't really know if you could do this, but...

Here in the Philippines, Nokia Stores also carry backup batteries.
You could simply walk in a store, ask for whatever batteries you need and walk out with them (and less some money)

The battery of the Lumia 820 is a BP-5T at ~1650 mAh.
The battery of the 8X is at 1800 mAh.

If you could find backup batteries and good microSD cards, the 820 beats all (especially with the glance screen and double-tap to wake)

Res215dg

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I would go Nokia- considering they are the major backer of WP8 and have some great exclusive apps- loving my Lumia 920!

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
what everyone is forgetting is to remind you that the 8X is a much more powerful device. I really enjoy using mine, but if battery is your biggest concern i'd suggest a portable charger.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Get the Lumia. You'll have a much better experience with it, exclusive apps as someone already mentioned and great support for the device.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Go for the Lumia. Although I use a 920, the 820 as your option isn't bad at all

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have to say go for the Lumia. The 8X is the unibody, whereas the 820 has the removable battery and an optional wireless charging cover(it's the 920 Lumia that is the unibody design).

I carry a Power Monkey with my 920, so that or Freeloader is a good idea if you're a heavy user.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd also say Lumia (made the same decision) because of the support, MicroSD (I can't live with 16GB), OLED and the feel of the device.

Theuns Steyn

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
With the latest update of Here Maps, Here Drive+ was released in the Windows Store in South Africa.

Sounds like good news, doesn't it ------ WRONG!

While Here Drive and Here Drive+ was released in certain countries, free of charge, We here in South Africa and else ware have to fork out almost R500 for something Microsoft promised will be available on all Windows 8 phones and witch it gives away for free in other markets!!!

See: HERE to introduce HERE Drive+ for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones ? Nokia – Press

What does not make sense to me is that if you look at the analysis of where Windows Phone is doing well in the world, South Africa is one of the countries it sells a lot of devices!

All the HTC owners, like me were patiently waiting for this feature to be released here now can truly feel cheated!

Moreover, I do not understand that HTC would still choose to make Windows Phone 8 devices (Don't know about Samsung) if Microsoft withholds such an important (free to certain countries on the same device) feature!

I certainly would not have bought a HTC Windows Phone 8 if I had known this from the start and will NEVER make the same mistake again!

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
With the latest update of Here Maps, Here Drive+ was released in the Windows Store in South Africa.

While Here Drive and Here Drive+ was released in certain countries, free of charge, We here in South Africa and else ware have to fork out almost R500 for something Microsoft promised will be available on all Windows 8 phones and witch it gives away for free in other markets!!!

See: HERE to introduce HERE Drive+ for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones ? Nokia – Press

What does not make sense to me is that if you look at the analysis of where Windows Phone is doing well in the world, South Africa is one of the countries it sells a lot of devices!

All the HTC owners, like me were patiently waiting for this feature to be released here now can truly feel cheated!

Moreover, I do not understand that HTC would still choose to make Windows Phone 8 devices (Don't know about Samsung) if Microsoft withholds such an important (free to certain countries on the same device) feature!

I certainly would not have bought a HTC Windows Phone 8 if I had known this from the start and will NEVER make the same mistake again!
Neither MS nor Nokia says that Drive+ is coming free to all. Maps, however is said free to all for the moment. After all, the native nav solution is Bing map and Here or whatever they called it used to be Ovi then Nokia Map and still owns by Nokia.

Anyways, get a Lumia. Lumia is a Lumia, not any other WP8 phones.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Nice rant.

First, Nokia is the owner of HERE software, it is theirs to do with as they please. MS has nothing do with it. So if you want the HERE suite of software buy a Nokia flagship device so you get Drive+ for free as well. Even lower end Nokia phones will not get Drive +.

You can feel cheated all you want but HTC is to blame for their lack luster support for WP rather than blaming MS or Nokia. Also as the person above me already stated, Bing is the standard solution on WP, not HERE.

If you want the best WP experience you have to buy Nokia as they are simply putting out all the stops because they have to. Nokia has been in the mapping business longer than Google so they are going to support their phones with what software they have.

Also so people stop getting their noses out of joint, WPC did a nice table that shows everything with regards to the HERE suite of apps: Nokia to update and release HERE apps for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones | Windows Phone Central

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99