Does the Facebook app REALLY have to be the reason I don't say with WP? :(

jpayne80

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I switched to the Lumia 928 from the iPhone 5. I LOVED the phone other than not having Instagram (but I can deal with a 3rd party app until the "real" one comes), and the abysmal FB app. This thing is a joke!!! I admin a few groups - one being a local "yard sale" group - and I get several new member requests daily. Unless I'm missing something, I can't even approve new members on it?! Yes, I know, that's what a PC is for, but with an iPad and a smartphone, I may get on my PC twice a week. Sometimes I can't even get in my groups at all - says it can't connect. And I can't tag anyone in comments, which is a pain in the arse because that's pretty common in a yard sale group (as a stay-at-home mom, these yard sale groups provide me with a way to bring in some extra money for our family when my son outgrows/doesn't need something anymore). I really want to keep this phone - the camera is amazing! - but I am a hardcore FB user and I feel like the FB app is lightyears behind iOS's. Does anyone know of any good 3rd party FB apps that support groups well? I really don't want this one app to be what's keeping me from making the 928 my primary device. :(

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I've never had issues accessing my groups with the new Facebook app. And on the surface it looks just like my wife's iOS Facebook app.

As alternatives, you can also access Facebook.com and m.facebook.com from.the browser to take care of the few small things the app may not be able to handle.

If I'm not mistaken too, there are advantages to the WP8 version though. Like pinning a group right to your start screen. As a "hardcore" user I'd imagine that's handy.

jpayne80

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I've never had issues accessing my groups with the new Facebook app. And on the surface it looks just like my wife's iOS Facebook app.

As alternatives, you can also access Facebook.com and m.facebook.com from.the browser to take care of the few small things the app may not be able to handle.

If I'm not mistaken too, there are advantages to the WP8 version though. Like pinning a group right to your start screen. As a "hardcore" user I'd imagine that's handy.

I just didn't want to have to access it 2 different ways to accomplish one thing. But you're right: it does have the advantage you mentioned, as well as having access to the "Other Messages" folder within the app. That's another handy thing as a group user/admin, since I get several messages a day from people who aren't friends.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
No offense, but that's kinda silly to leave the platform just because of Facebook. You have many options - Facebook, Facebook Beta and all the many third party apps in the Store. Then there's also the People Hub (I used that a ton with my Lumia 810, am now using Facebook Beta on my 920) and even IE10. When you use your browser for Facebook, I'm pretty sure you can accept new friends/members.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. If there is any app that somebody really relies on and a platform doesn't meet their need I think it's silly for them to remain. Facebook on WP is pretty weak when it comes to the things the OP is doing on a pretty frequent basis.

Kudos to the OP for sticking it out and looking at other alternatives. Shows you how good WP8 overall really is.

No offense, but that's kinda silly to leave the platform just because of Facebook. You have many options - Facebook, Facebook Beta and all the many third party apps in the Store. Then there's also the People Hub (I used that a ton with my Lumia 810, am now using Facebook Beta on my 920) and even IE10. When you use your browser for Facebook, I'm pretty sure you can accept new friends/members.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. If there is any app that somebody really relies on and a platform doesn't meet their need I think it's silly for them to remain. Facebook on WP is pretty weak when it comes to the things the OP is doing on a pretty frequent basis.

Kudos to the OP for sticking it out and looking at other alternatives. Shows you how good WP8 overall really is.

I couldn't have said it better. I would have probably switched much sooner if there were an app I relied on that didn't perform well on a certain platform.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried the web app? If you're stuck with WP that might be a good alternative. Just go to the Facebook mobile site. I don't see a lot of functionality missing from that. Until the most recent update to the stock Facebook app, which I really like, I always used the mobile app.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you use FB that much and mobile site cannot do the job then that's a valid reason. After all, shinny new gadget should make your life easier.

dylk

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This talking about Facebook beta? Otherwise it should be, much better experience. Get it now if you don't have it.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Even the beta is missing basic things n its kinda embarrassing even letting peepz use my phone to check that app out :(

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Never been an admin of a page on fb so never needed so always thought WP fb app is same as Android and iOS. But looks like it has to do a lot of work to catch up other platforms' fb app.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Strongly suggest you use the feedback function in the beta to tell them what these important missing features are. That way you will be talking directly to the Facebook team.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
The problem with the new Facebook app is that it's incredibly slow, laggy and choppy. You send a message through chat and it takes 1-2 seconds to appear. Everything from clicking links to something as simple as 'liking' is slow and choppy. It feels like a bad webapp and nothing like a natively coded one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb