11-28-2015 04:37 AM
68 123
tools
    I have tried Internet Explorer, UC Browser and Nokia Express. They are all painfully slow, especially when you come from the Safari on an iPhone 5.
    Hi saintforlife.

Perceived IE performance is determined primarily by three factors: data transfer rates, the speed of the trident rendering engine (CPU bound) and the speed at which the device responds to panning and zooming gestures by the user (primarily GPU bound).

Because you've provided absolutely no information on how you conducted your tests, it's impossible to give you any useful feedback. An example:

The L521 doesn't have LTE. The iP5, to which you are comparing, does. AFAIK, you might have tested over a LTE capable cellular network. If that is true, then your tests aren't demonstrating anything but the difference between 3G and LTE data transfer speeds. That shows you how much faster LTE is than 3G, but it doesn't tell you anything about the browsers.

In general, the more information you provide about your testing methods, the easier it is for people to confirm your findings or possibly tell you something is wrong. Examples:
    • over what network did you test (for what you want to test, you need to be on WiFi)
    • what web pages did you test with
    • what exactly are you basing your assessment on (page load times? how fast you can scroll around a web page once loaded?)
    • what exactly do you mean by "faster"? That means almost nothing considering it could mean 0.1 seconds or 15 seconds.

it has lower resolution AND lower ram. Other phones have 1GB of ram versus 512MB. Not sure how much that would affect performance but I'm sure it would take a hit....
    Well, in this case being sure didn't get you any points. The actual affect of RAM (1 GB vs. 512 MB) on the speed of IE is zero! nada! zilch! nothing! What it might affect is how many tabs you can keep open at once.

I'm scratching my head. The 521 performance should be the same as the 920 and 925 and any other Windows Phone 8 device. It has the exact same CPU and a lower resolution.

Someone help me out.
    While the L521 and the L920 do have the same CPU, the L920 is clocked 50% faster than the L521. As the trident layout engine is CPU bound, a 50% higher clock will definitely result in a noticeable performance boost (provided the data connection can transfer web pages faster than either device can render them)
    Last edited by a5cent; 07-09-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
    07-09-2013 03:38 AM

Well, in this case being sure didn't get you any points. The actual affect of RAM (1 GB vs. 512 MB) on the speed of IE is zero! nada! zilch! nothing! What it might affect is how many tabs you can keep open at once.
    That makes sense because now that I think about it the internet browsing on my older Radar running WP7.5 still is plenty fast and only has 512MB of ram.
    07-09-2013 09:48 AM
    No problems browsing the web on my 920. Likewise, I had no issues with my 810 in that area, either. I actually prefer IE on my WPs to Safari on my old iPhone 4.
    07-09-2013 10:13 AM
    I have been pleased at the browsing speed on my HTC 8x. UC is confusing so I use IE.
    07-09-2013 01:51 PM
    I'm scratching my head. The 521 performance should be the same as the 920 and 925 and any other Windows Phone 8 device. It has the exact same CPU and a lower resolution.

Someone help me out.
    They don't have the same CPU. The 520/521 has a dual-core 1 GHz CPU and the 920/925/928 has a dual-core 1.5 GHz CPU. As deloa84 said, they also have different amounts of RAM.
    07-09-2013 02:37 PM
    They don't have the same CPU. The 520/521 has a dual-core 1 GHz CPU and the 920/925/928 has a dual-core 1.5 GHz CPU. As deloa84 said, they also have different amounts of RAM.
    Ehem... actually, they do have the same CPU, transistor for transistor... only the clock rate is different.
    FinancialP likes this.
    07-09-2013 02:41 PM
    Ehem... actually, they do have the same CPU, transistor for transistor... only the clock rate is different.
    I didn't even notice there was a second page on here with that clarified. Hah. Whoops. You're right though. My B.
    07-09-2013 02:55 PM
    Thanks for clarifying my first question and clearing this up too.
    07-09-2013 03:11 PM
    That makes sense because now that I think about it the internet browsing on my older Radar running WP7.5 still is plenty fast and only has 512MB of ram.
    really depends on which website you are browsing. Saying ram has nothing to do with website rendering just went too far.
    07-09-2013 06:07 PM
    really depends on which website you are browsing. Saying ram has nothing to do with website rendering just went too far.
    I didn't say it has nothing to do with rendering. What I did say is that it has nothing to do with the speed at which at which a web page is rendered. If you are going to dispute that then you are on very shaky ground.
    07-09-2013 06:23 PM
    I didn't say it has nothing to do with rendering. What I did say is that it has nothing to do with the speed at which at which a web page is rendered. If you are going to dispute that then you are on very shaky ground.
    Eventually it comes back to speed. According to your theory we can have a minimum 64 bit high speed bus ram solder on to the CPU and everything will be fine, which is not the case. And there are tones of java tools on the web to testified your urban myth.
    Love is one thing, believe in one and spreading myth another, mutually inclusive emotion.
    07-09-2013 06:51 PM
    Eventually it comes back to speed. According to your theory we can have a minimum 64 bit high speed bus ram solder on to the CPU and everything will be fine, which is not the case. And there are tones of java tools on the web to testified your urban myth.
    Love is one thing, believe in one and spreading myth another, mutually inclusive emotion.
    IE is a native application which manages memory deterministically, whereas a Java application (where the amount of RAM determines how often the garbage collector kicks in) is anything but deterministic in that regard. My point is that almost nothing you could deduce from the runtime behaviour of a Java application can be applied to native software like IE. Also, nobody here was talking about memory latency or bandwidth, so I don't see how your comment about the RAM - CPU interconnect is relevant. We were talking only about memory capacity, specifically the difference between a 512 MB and a 1 GB device. Nothing else.

Maybe you're thinking about the Windows/PC world, where having more RAM allows Windows to forgo the swapping of memory pages out to a swap file? I'd certainly agree with that leading to potentially huge performance differences, but WP doesn't use a swap file.

Anyway, being a native app, IE gets the exact same amount of RAM to work with on both 512 MB and 1 GB devices. It's capped to 150 MB, meaning that as far as IE is concerned, there is no difference. So, even if RAM capacity did have an impact on IE's web page rendering performance (which it doesn't), it would only be a theoretical difference, because in practice IE gets the exact same amount of RAM to work with on both types of devices.

So either way, RAM capacity is irrelevant.
    Last edited by a5cent; 07-10-2013 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
    cw1988 and FinancialP like this.
    07-09-2013 08:33 PM
    Your provider is probably the cause of the sloowness because browsing with IE works fine on my 920
    How can the provider make a difference if both my iPhone and the Lumia 521 are on the same home wifi network? I don't even have a SIM card in my phone. I am using it solely on wifi.

The 521 is usually 3-4 seconds behind the iPhone when it comes to opening pages in IE. UC Browser isn't that much better.
    07-10-2013 01:41 AM
    IE is a native application which manages memory deterministically, whereas a Java application (where the amount of RAM determines how often the garbage collector kicks in) is anything but deterministic in that regard. My point is that almost nothing you could deduce from the runtime behaviour of a Java application can be applied to native software like IE. Also, nobody here was talking about memory latency or bandwidth, so I don't see how your comment about the RAM - CPU interconnect is relevant. We were talking only about memory capacity, specifically the difference between a 512 MB and a 1 GB device. Nothing else.

Maybe you're thinking about the Windows/PC world, where having more RAM allows Windows to forgo the swapping of memory pages out to a swap file? I'd certainly agree with that leading to potentially huge performance differences, but WP doesn't use a swap file.

Anyway, being a native app, IE gets the exact same amount of RAM to work with on both 512 MB and 1 GB devices. It's capped to 150 MB, meaning that as far as IE is concerned, there is no difference. So, even if RAM capacity did have an impact on IE's web page rendering performance (which it doesn't), it would only be a theoretical difference, because in practice IE gets the exact same amount of RAM to work with on both types of devices.

So either way, RAM capacity is irrelevant.
    Do you even know what does RAM stands for? And that app memory limit doesn't apply to IE.

When I mention JAVA I am suggesting you get an web app to testified that the amount of RAM you have does play an important role when rendering object filled website.
    07-10-2013 04:55 AM
    For copying image URLs, the app "das image" will let you search for images and open the direct URL in browser, where you can then copy it. Limited, but better than nothing.
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express
    saintforlife likes this.
    07-10-2013 05:05 AM
    Do you even know what does RAM stands for?
    ... and all this time I thought there was no such thing as a stupid question.

And that app memory limit doesn't apply to IE
    That memory limit is enforced by the OS. If you're going to claim that WP's memory management makes special exceptions for specific apps (which would be unique among OS') then you will need to back that up. Otherwise I'd consider that theory unworthy of consideration.

When I mention JAVA I am suggesting you get an web app to testified that the amount of RAM you have does play an important role when rendering object filled website.
    If you would be so kind as to provide a link to the specific web app you're talking about, then I'd be glad to test it on an 512 MB and a 1 GB device and compare the results.

I still don't understand what Java has to do with any of this (unless you mean javascript, which is something else entirely), because IE on WP can't run Java.
    07-10-2013 06:50 AM
    ... and all this time I thought there was no such thing as a stupid question.

That memory limit is enforced by the OS. If you're going to claim that WP's memory management makes special exceptions for specific apps (which would be unique among OS') then you will need to back that up. Otherwise I'd consider that theory unworthy of consideration.

If you would be so kind as to provide a link to the specific web app you're talking about, then I'd be glad to test it on an 512 MB and a 1 GB device and compare the results.

I still don't understand what Java has to do with any of this (unless you mean javascript, which is something else entirely), because IE on WP can't run Java.

This is incredibly likely- I would be surprised if this is not the case. Why can Nokia make awesome apps and firmware updates? Because as an OEM they have the ability to create apps and system modifications running privileged code. IE isn't just an app- *it's made by Microsoft and is a core component of the system*.

Consider the following- there are no 3rd party browsers in the store that aren't simply a wrapper for IE. Why is that? Probably because the SDK isn't powerful enough to allow for the creation / import of a different browser engine. So how does IE work? MS made it, and they gave it all the advantages they could (running privileged code), and even if another rendering engine could be ported to WP, it likely could not compete in performance with IE.
    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    07-10-2013 01:14 PM
    Consider the following- there are no 3rd party browsers in the store that aren't simply a wrapper for IE. Why is that? Probably because the SDK isn't powerful enough to allow for the creation / import of a different browser engine. So how does IE work? MS made it, and they gave it all the advantages they could (running privileged code), and even if another rendering engine could be ported to WP, it likely could not compete in performance with IE.
    There is a huge difference between Microsoft reserving some APIs strictly for their own use, and Microsoft changing the execution model under which a process runs (solely for one of their own apps that they ship with the OS). The former is "simple", common practice and more importantly, officially confirmed. The later is otherwise unheard of.
    07-10-2013 11:11 PM
    So Saintforlife. I'm still hoping for a better description of your tests, that isn't distributed amongst multiple posts, but from what I've gathered so far:
    1) you are testing the L521 and the iP5 over WiFi
    2) if you type the same URL into both browsers and press enter, the L521 takes approximately 3 seconds longer (I'm assuming that means 3 seconds longer until the page completes rendering)
    Is that right?

I still don't know if that applies to any page, or just a specific page.

I don't have a L521 to test with. I have tested against my L920, and the Lumia seems to be either just as fast or a tad faster than the iP5. That the L521 should be three seconds slower seems a bit extreme. I don't know, maybe your loading some gigantic web page, or not realizing that the iP5 is being served a webkit optimized page, while the Lumia 521 is being served a generalized page, in which case you'd be comparing apples with oranges.
    07-11-2013 09:30 AM
    The main reason why IE may appear to be subpar to other browsers is because the web developers of some websites are choosing to disobey standards by developing with webkit specific tags instead of the standard tags,on non webkit sites IE is king.
    07-11-2013 02:24 PM
    The question isnt about speeed ..about the way the browser handles popup and allows you to type or select options ..kayak.com is a terror on WP8 ...havnt recovered from trying to browse and select dates on that site. The date picker was all over the screen and the keyboard pops up all the time. But this is a software issue so i hope it clears out fast
    07-11-2013 02:31 PM
    The question isnt about speeed ..about the way the browser handles popup and allows you to type or select options ..kayak.com is a terror on WP8 ...havnt recovered from trying to browse and select dates on that site. The date picker was all over the screen and the keyboard pops up all the time. But this is a software issue so i hope it clears out fast
    From the OP's first post:

"I have tried Internet Explorer, UC Browser and Nokia Express. They are all painfully slow, especially when you come from the Safari on an iPhone 5."
    <snipped>
    "Did I already mention that all three browsers are slooooww...?"
    He/She starts and ends the first paragraph by complaining about speed. I know it's not just about speed, but that sounded like an important issue to me. Ah well. It doesn't seem like the OP is interested in looking at that issue, so you're probably right.
    Last edited by a5cent; 07-11-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Changed last scentence
    07-11-2013 02:46 PM
    IE10 is just missing small features I really hate not being able to copy picture URLs. I can do it on a iPhone, android, PC, Mac, but not on WP8 IE10. Its fast and fluid though.
    JerseySal likes this.
    07-11-2013 02:52 PM
    I really hate not being able to copy picture URLs.
    Ditto!
    07-11-2013 03:11 PM
    You hit on yourself: it's likely the lack of webkit.
    07-11-2013 03:12 PM
68 123