11-28-2015 04:37 AM
68 123
tools
    So Saintforlife. I'm still hoping for a better description of your tests, that isn't distributed amongst multiple posts, but from what I've gathered so far:
    1) you are testing the L521 and the iP5 over WiFi
    2) if you type the same URL into both browsers and press enter, the L521 takes approximately 3 seconds longer (I'm assuming that means 3 seconds longer until the page completes rendering)
    Is that right?

I still don't know if that applies to any page, or just a specific page.

I don't have a L521 to test with. I have tested against my L920, and the Lumia seems to be either just as fast or a tad faster than the iP5. That the L521 should be three seconds slower seems a bit extreme. I don't know, maybe your loading some gigantic web page, or not realizing that the iP5 is being served a webkit optimized page, while the Lumia 521 is being served a generalized page, in which case you'd be comparing apples with oranges.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you. These are some of the sites I tested:

Wpcentral.com
    Macrumors.com
    Theverge.com
    Planet-F1.com
    Yahoo.com
    Nyt.com

IE was slower when opening all these sites. Granted my tests were not scientific, it was done just like how I would use the phone in real life and mimicked my daily use.

Also can you tell me how the lack of WebKit affects IE? What exactly does WebKit do that makes it better? Are there technical reasons that prevent MS from implementing WebKit on IE?
    07-11-2013 07:56 PM
    Also can you tell me how the lack of WebKit affects IE? What exactly does WebKit do that makes it better? Are there technical reasons that prevent MS from implementing WebKit on IE?
    Webkit/Blink is the backend/engine that Chrome, Safari, Opera (recently), and a number of other browsers use (including all iOS browsers). Trident is the backend/engine that Internet Explorer (and all WP8 browsers) use. There are some benchmarks in which recent Webkit versions top the charts and some where certain versions of Trident do really well. The two are based on entirely different code and both technological issues and licensing would prevent portions of one being integrated into the other.

So "implementing" Webkit on IE would mean giving up entirely on Trident, which is Microsoft's in-house web browser engine. Even if Webkit is faster (debatable), Microsoft would be sacrificing a lot of internal flexibility, backwards compatibility and market power by making such a switch. It's at least as much of a business decision as a technical one.
    07-30-2013 05:54 PM
    I think my mum's iPhone 5 looks like it loads faster because it starts throwing parts of the webpage as they come...IE10 on my 920 however literally waits until it's got the majority of the webpage before it reveals it all.

I'm using UC browser now because I not only find it more functional in general, it pre renders and gives the illusion of being faster like iPhone etc

At least, that's how I see it, lol.
    07-30-2013 06:16 PM
    I think my mum's iPhone 5 looks like it loads faster because it starts throwing parts of the webpage as they come...IE10 on my 920 however literally waits until it's got the majority of the webpage before it reveals it all.
    I think there's some truth to this. I've been disappointed with my Lumia 822 compared with my roommate's iPhone 5. Both are connected over WIFI (Comcast Internet), so the only real difference is the processor and the rendering engine. Bringing up google.com takes ~10 seconds on the Lumia vs ~2 seconds on the iPhone, and other sites see similar differences.

On the desktop (Windows 8) I've also had some issues with slow loading pages in IE, but found that turning on Tracking Protection Lists greatly improved things. Sadly, this is not an option on the phone that I'm aware of.
    08-01-2013 08:31 AM
    Sounds like a problem with your Lumia, my 1020 brings up google.com in a couple seconds on an LTE connection, even after deleting all browsing history. IE is quite fast!

I think there's some truth to this. I've been disappointed with my Lumia 822 compared with my roommate's iPhone 5. Both are connected over WIFI (Comcast Internet), so the only real difference is the processor and the rendering engine. Bringing up google.com takes ~10 seconds on the Lumia vs ~2 seconds on the iPhone, and other sites see similar differences.

On the desktop (Windows 8) I've also had some issues with slow loading pages in IE, but found that turning on Tracking Protection Lists greatly improved things. Sadly, this is not an option on the phone that I'm aware of.
    08-01-2013 03:24 PM
    2.5 seconds for opening google.com in IE here.
    08-01-2013 04:04 PM
    IE10 on my 920 is not that bad but I haven't tried out the other WP browsers yet. Seems to load most pages just fine. My biggest complaint so far though is why pages float around all over the place when scrolling. Why don't they lock into place when scrolling up and down. I find the page floating around everywhere to the left and right. E-mails do this too. It's kind of annoying.
    08-01-2013 04:15 PM
    IE goes like a bullet on my 520.
    08-01-2013 08:27 PM
    I prefer it over anything I've tried on Android or iOS
    +1000
    08-02-2013 04:04 AM
    Sounds like a problem with your Lumia, my 1020 brings up google.com in a couple seconds on an LTE connection, even after deleting all browsing history. IE is quite fast!
    I'm at work using LTE at the moment; Google is taking 14-15 seconds to fully load (a partial render shows after ~10 seconds). Refreshing the page takes less than 2 seconds, but after navigating to a different website and back, the reload takes a full 15 seconds again. My connection seems fine; running speedtest.net results in:

Ping: 80ms
    Download: 10.41 Mbps
    Upload: 1.18 Mbps

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? I can try resetting the phone, although I hate to go through the hassle of setting everything up again unless it's likely to make a difference.
    Last edited by David A Smith; 08-02-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    08-02-2013 08:37 AM
    Wow. On a whim I decided to delete my browsing history. After an hour of deleting, it still wasn't done. So I hit the back button to end the process, went back into IE, deleted the history again, and this time it finished immediately. And what do you know, my browsing speeds are an order of magnitude faster. Google comes up in about 1.5 seconds.
    08-02-2013 10:59 AM
    I have the same problem with my 925. i just cannot load pages and i wish i had never bought this phone.
    for example, it cannot acces YAHOO! :D dont complain about my provider. i was standing right beside my
    wifi router and the galaxy phone standing right beside my nokia, i was just dissappointed about the IE all the way.
    may i ask, did you fix the browser issue or did you sell your phone?
    01-22-2014 03:24 PM
    WPC has always had issues with wp8 devices with explorer. Keyboards not sticking, ads taking you into error pages when you click on a link, and also not being able to read posts because ads obscure the paragraph posted. Wpcentral is not WP 8 friendly at all using built in explorer it's the only site where the keyboard may or may not work to post a message.
    01-22-2014 04:34 PM
    I have the same problem with my 925. i just cannot load pages and i wish i had never bought this phone.
    for example, it cannot acces YAHOO! :D dont complain about my provider. i was standing right beside my
    wifi router and the galaxy phone standing right beside my nokia, i was just dissappointed about the IE all the way.
    may i ask, did you fix the browser issue or did you sell your phone?
    What do you mean you can't access Yahoo. I don't understand what all the complaining about IE is...it has the fastest javascript engine and is extremely fast. The only downside is that Google webpages don't load well since Google redirects windows phones to ****ty versions of it's sites. But aside from that, IE on wp is extremely fast.
    Microsoftjunkie likes this.
    01-22-2014 07:42 PM
    I'm scratching my head. The 521 performance should be the same as the 920 and 925 and any other Windows Phone 8 device. It has the exact same CPU and a lower resolution.

Someone help me out.
    It has half the ram and while it may have the same CPU architecture, it's just 66% of the speed. Dual Core 1 GHz compared to the L920 Dual Core 1.5 Ghz.
    01-23-2014 05:28 AM
    I have no problems browsing the web with IE on my L920. Granted, there are a few features I would like to see implemented like a forward button but I also remember that this is a phone and will not be the same experience as a desktop or tablet.

One thing I did notice is that yesterday I was showing a co worker my wife's new L2520 when he started complaining about his iPhone and being able to get web sites in desktop view instead of the mobile site. Apparently Safari doesn't allow this where IE does. I have been to a few sites where the mobile version sucks. Facebook, MSN? And being able to switch to a desktop view is a huge plus.
    01-23-2014 07:25 AM
    I wish they put back/and forward in IE
    01-23-2014 04:53 PM
    It's almost 2016. Browsing is still **** on my Lumia 720. Windows central is still the worst performing website. IE still randomly exits week pressing back even though you got there from a Google search and it should go to back to the search, not exit. UC, Maxton, Opera mini still crash randomly. Surfy still has no context menu show up when you long tap something. Last night I tried all of those to search something on Google, open two links from the search results and read them. It is impossible to do this on my Windows phone in a reasonable, timely fashion.
    I'm amused how there are always people who say it works just fine for them, but never mention they only open one site per browsing session and just recommend mobile apps for the sites that do not work. Ok, IE just gave up in the middle of writing my comment and I cannot even select words to edit them.

Awesome web experience on WP8.1!
    11-28-2015 04:37 AM
68 123