If I can do these things, then I'll move to WP8. Can I do them?

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
There is one thing that is not very business like on WP and something the OP didn't ask, probably assuming you can do it, is the ability to attach files to reply email. That's a massive drawback right there for a supposedly 'business' phone. Keep in mind that the Office apps are for mobile and don't think about doing anything too extensive and you'll be fine.

Skydrive is great but need to keep in mind the limitations of the phone and what files it will recognize and allow you to use. Not being able to use ZIP files is a big let down for me, which again is a very business thing.

Wait, you can't attach an attachment to an email on WP8?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
There is one thing that is not very business like on WP and something the OP didn't ask, probably assuming you can do it, is the ability to attach files to reply email. That's a massive drawback right there for a supposedly 'business' phone. Keep in mind that the Office apps are for mobile and don't think about doing anything too extensive and you'll be fine.

Skydrive is great but need to keep in mind the limitations of the phone and what files it will recognize and allow you to use. Not being able to use ZIP files is a big let down for me, which again is a very business thing.

Yeah, this is the first person I've ever heard call WP more for business. Small Business, yes. Enterprise, absolutely not. That said, neither are Apple or Google... Blackberry and WM win there.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, this is the first person I've ever heard call WP more for business. Small Business, yes. Enterprise, absolutely not. That said, neither are Apple or Google... Blackberry and WM win there.

Sorry I don't even think it's suitable for small business, unles you are using the cloud or Office 365. Apple and Google are not business either but I'm sure the functions are more suitable for business than WP at this time.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Sorry, but for me, I have a small business. It's just myself, no employees. So in my mind, yes I like WP in the business sense. It does what I need it to, for now :) Granted that may change if my business expands, but for now, it just works.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
You can't attach documents (word, excel etc) to REPLY emails. You can attach photos however. I guess that was more important?

Photos are important. Also attaching word and excel documents to emails is. I guess if I would need to attach a document, I would need to create a new email?
Sorry if these are newb question, I don't have a WP8 and I'm on the fence about switching, so I'm trying to learn all the quirks before I decide to make the change.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but for me, I have a small business. It's just myself, no employees. So in my mind, yes I like WP in the business sense. It does what I need it to, for now :) Granted that may change if my business expands, but for now, it just works.

I comes down to what you do and how you work. I would prefer to have one device while traveling than carrying a tablet and phone or laptop and phone. If I need to do more than reply and send stuff or small edits than yes I'll bring my laptop. It shouldn't be mandatory in this day.

gab1972

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
To me, the two things Android/Apple have over WM for business is: apps that support your business that WM does not have, and the ability to attach any file type as an email attachment. And no, Instagram and WhatsApp are not important business apps. I'm talking about PDF EDITING (commenting, drawing lines, digital signatures, etc), file zipping, etc.

Other than that, I think WM wins out. Having owned and rooted 5 different Android phones since the G1 and having owned a few iPhones, WP is the easiest to navigate. It's got great social integration and I love the People Hub History function - great for seeing when you called/emailed/texted a client last.

sp3cim3n

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
You have the ability to attach any office document including pdf directly through Office.
Select documents on your phone>>Long press document>>share>>select which email service.
Getting documents on your phone is a simple process of connecting to PC and placing files into
the phones Documents Folder.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Photos are important. Also attaching word and excel documents to emails is. I guess if I would need to attach a document, I would need to create a new email?
Sorry if these are newb question, I don't have a WP8 and I'm on the fence about switching, so I'm trying to learn all the quirks before I decide to make the change.

You can't attach anything except photos in MAIL APPLICATION, so you can't attach documents directly into reply. But you can send documents or almost any file by going to its respective place and by using share option. So, you can mail documents but not using mail app directly. And You can't attach multiple documents at same time except only photos. This is right now an OS limitation which should be sorted out in WP blue or in GDR 3 update, Hopefully.....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
This is a side note to your thread, but if you have no loyalty to Sprint, I would recommend looking else where. You are literally on the worst network of the big 4.

Also I have had both HTC and Nokia Windows phone and I feel the Nokia line is superior in every way

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Actually as some people have reminded me you can only attach photos in email but you can 'share' a document via email through Skydrive or Office hub or PDF program. To answer your question, yes you need to do a new email. I find working with documents rather fiddly on WP personally and having the lack of ZIP and not being able to use files that the phone doesn't recongnize is rather frustrating at times.

In general I find that WP is not really suitable for 'real' business tasks due to it's limitations. I think WP is mostly geared towards the everyday user.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You can't attach anything except photos in MAIL APPLICATION, so you can't attach documents directly into reply. But you can send documents or almost any file by going to its respective place and by using share option. So, you can mail documents but not using mail app directly. And You can't attach multiple documents at same time except only photos. This is right now an OS limitation which should be sorted out in WP blue or in GDR 3 update, Hopefully.....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

We have lots of 'hopes' for those updates. Let's hope the improvements come.

Miles of Lief

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I pay $98.75 a month after taxes with Sprint and that's unlimited data, text, and talk for two phones. I don't think anyone can approach that price. Also, I haven't had any problems with Sprint. As far as devices go, I know Nokia is the leader when it comes to Windows Phones - but are any of them as low profile as the HTC 8XT? Phone size and feel is of huge importance to me and the Nokia phones seem to be tanks compared to the 8X. I also LOVE the soft grip feel of it too. I would gladly sacrifice some things for a smaller screen/lower profile and thusly more compact phone.

Gawain

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm an Android user and a sales rep on the go and I'm planning to get the HTC 8XT when it's available from Sprint. I don't need to do too much, but I'd like to know if these various things are available.

1. Navigation
2. Set up Icons of contacts so you can one touch dial them instantly just by pushing their icon
3. Send picture texts so my contacts get it the same day instead of sometimes a week later - and more importantly receive picture mail without having it come into my texts and then have to download it and wait for it to load and load until the picture finally comes up.
4. Configure my company email which is Lotus. I was able to load it on my samsung android, so i should be able to load on WP right?
5. Have a working calendar to load future meetings with reminders
6. Use evernote - or is there something better? I use it to store things for work like passwords, door codes, ship to addresses, notes on individual customers.
7. I'd like to have access to my banking app WellsFargo and my Yahoo email - both don't seem to be available.

Like I said, I don't need to do much. The above list seems pretty basic, but I've read some posts where WP seems to fall short or annoying on really basic stuff.

Thanks!

Here's the run down as I see it,

1. HERE Drive (Nokia)
2. Like others have mentioned, it's two clicks, contact icon, then dial
3. This is carrier dependent, but yes, you can send/receive MMS or receive emails with attachments
4. I can't speak to Windows Phone as a platform, but the Amber update on Nokia phones at least will support IBM Notes Traveler (formerly Lotus Notes Traveler). You might have to verify support on your Domino server (version et al).
5. Native to WP8
6. Evernote is available, the only alternative I would recommend is OneNote
7. It doesn't look like Wells Fargo has a WP app, it certainly has a mobile HTML5 site. Yahoo! mail, just use the WP email client, it is the best in the business in my opinion.

I don't know what you're using now, but the user experience of Windows Phone is a wholesale departure from other platforms. It truly takes a new way of thinking in some cases to do things, but the OS is rock-solid and the platform has a lot of momentum.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
these are some thing other users have said but I will reply too!!!!
1) Nokia HERE maps- a fantastic product, works pretty much flawlessly (crashed on me once ever and thats it), otherwise, accurate, fast, great directions, works very well, easily very competetive w/ google maps

2) as another user said, you can pin people to the start menu, it takes two click to call them, but they do this so 1 click gets you to the contact so you can text/call/skype/im etc...

3) never had an issue recieving or sending pics immediately, never heard of that problem with wp either...

4) good question: depends on the protocol they are using. I doubt it would be EAS, but if its something like imap it should work...

5)my default calendar app does that just fine, you can set when you want the reminders and it even pops up your future events on a live tile so you can glance at it just to know that you have it coming up

6)I like onenote better, it also syncs between multiple devices such as wps, win 8 computers/tablets, skydrive, also evernote is there too so this is no problem

7) don't see a wells fargo app, I se BOA, Chase, Paypal, Fidelity, and others so i would imagine wells fargo should have one soon. WP is now a big enough platform that bigger companies can't have a good excuse to not port their app to it now...

for basic stuff, wp is far better than android IMHO, the live tiles let you see what you're doing quickly and more importantly, the whole OS is just really smooth and fast, quite literally, it never lags on me, its always fast, ever since the first day I've had both windows phones of mine, they've both run buttery smooth and very fast. I don't think its annoying for basic stuff either, everything is laid out logically, it just takes time to get used to this OS because its so different, the whole premise of a pivto where you ALWAY swipe right or left in any screen makes a lot of sense, but its so different from android or iOS that it takes time to get used to. Actually, whenever I use iOS or android, I accidentally try to swipe left or right in any app accidentally to try and find things lol...

With the whole pivot/hub concept though, what makes WP really shine is the uniformity of the apps. For the most part, and the only real major exception to this rule are games, almost all of the apps behave in a similar swipe to the right or left. It makes learnign a new 1st party or 3rd party app very easy to learn because MS almost forces them to use the same design paradigms that they built the phone on. Its a great implementation and I've come across very few non-game apps that don't use this. This also makes many of the apps much higher quality than compared to android, for example. A friend of mine who has android was comparing apps with me a while ago and we compared spotify, IMDB, bank of america, contacts, email, and he agreed with me that they were much nicer looking and worked better on wp. Sure it doesn't have as many apps as android or iOS but you would be hard pressed to tell me that their app quality is better than wp.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I pay $98.75 a month after taxes with Sprint and that's unlimited data, text, and talk for two phones. I don't think anyone can approach that price. Also, I haven't had any problems with Sprint. As far as devices go, I know Nokia is the leader when it comes to Windows Phones - but are any of them as low profile as the HTC 8XT? Phone size and feel is of huge importance to me and the Nokia phones seem to be tanks compared to the 8X. I also LOVE the soft grip feel of it too. I would gladly sacrifice some things for a smaller screen/lower profile and thusly more compact phone.

Well T-mobile has a better choice now with the Simple choice plan Everything unlimited for $70 plus taxes.. I think is a better deal.. But of course it depends on your location and past experience with carriers also No contract. However, you have to pay the phone full price. My future set with them will be the $50 unlimited plan with throttling (slowing down) data at 500 MB PLUS $20 of the Nokia Lumia 925 every month for 24 months (or until I pay it off).. This is my case because my data usage is mainly on Wi-Fi. If you NEED unlimited data all the time, however, stay with Sprint because your set will look like Unlimited data $70 plan plus $20 of the Lumia 925 then is $90 close to what you pay

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
you should ABSOLUTELY not use evernote, onenote, etc. for passwords. That is dangerous. Your IT guy would go nuts if he knew that. Use something like Lastpass, available on WP8, for passwords. It supports the proper encryption.
LastPass is a service, though. Nothing wrong with it at all... But if all he wants is a place to store passwords, instead of a service, there are apps for that - Password Padlock is the one I use, but there are others. One of the things I like is that it can back up your passwords to SkyDrive, encrypted.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You can't attach documents (word, excel etc) to REPLY emails. You can attach photos however. I guess that was more important?

this is not 100% incorrect but you can send an attachment from your office hub. U just share the document and it will attach the document in an email

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This is a side note to your thread, but if you have no loyalty to Sprint, I would recommend looking else where. You are literally on the worst network of the big 4.

Also I have had both HTC and Nokia Windows phone and I feel the Nokia line is superior in every way
I agree, they have the worst data coverage. I would rate it: At&t, T-Mobile, Verizon than a distant fourth sprint.

At&t and T-Mobile and you talk and use data at the same time. Verizon has the best cell coverage, data is in par with at&t and t-mobile has a great Hspa+ network plus they are rolling out LTE.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre