If I can do these things, then I'll move to WP8. Can I do them?

Miles of Lief

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm an Android user and a sales rep on the go and I'm planning to get the HTC 8XT when it's available from Sprint. I don't need to do too much, but I'd like to know if these various things are available.

1. Navigation
2. Set up Icons of contacts so you can one touch dial them instantly just by pushing their icon
3. Send picture texts so my contacts get it the same day instead of sometimes a week later - and more importantly receive picture mail without having it come into my texts and then have to download it and wait for it to load and load until the picture finally comes up.
4. Configure my company email which is Lotus. I was able to load it on my samsung android, so i should be able to load on WP right?
5. Have a working calendar to load future meetings with reminders
6. Use evernote - or is there something better? I use it to store things for work like passwords, door codes, ship to addresses, notes on individual customers.
7. I'd like to have access to my banking app WellsFargo and my Yahoo email - both don't seem to be available.

Like I said, I don't need to do much. The above list seems pretty basic, but I've read some posts where WP seems to fall short or annoying on really basic stuff.

Thanks!

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
1. Navigation - Nokia Here Drive
2. Set up Icons of contacts so you can one touch dial them instantly just by pushing their icon -Two Clicks - Contact Icon, then Dial.
3. Send picture texts so my contacts get it the same day instead of sometimes a week later - and more importantly receive picture mail without having it come into my texts and then have to download it and wait for it to load and load until the picture finally comes up. - This is a carrier/service problem if you have it.
4. Configure my company email which is Lotus. I was able to load it on my samsung android, so i should be able to load on WP right? -This I can't answer.
5. Have a working calendar to load future meetings with reminders -Works great for me
6. Use evernote - or is there something better? I use it to store things for work like passwords, door codes, ship to addresses, notes on individual customers. -Microsoft office / One Note
7. I'd like to have access to my banking app WellsFargo and my Yahoo email - both don't seem to be available. -Yahoo mail is built in. Try mobile W.F. website.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
1. Navigation
2. Set up Icons of contacts so you can one touch dial them instantly just by pushing their icon
3. Send picture texts so my contacts get it the same day instead of sometimes a week later - and more importantly receive picture mail without having it come into my texts and then have to download it and wait for it to load and load until the picture finally comes up.
4. Configure my company email which is Lotus. I was able to load it on my samsung android, so i should be able to load on WP right?
6. Use evernote - or is there something better? I use it to store things for work like passwords, door codes, ship to addresses, notes on individual customers.
7. I'd like to have access to my banking app WellsFargo and my Yahoo email - both don't seem to be available.

1) No one would make a Smartphone that couldn't do Nav now. It does Nav very well through HERE maps.
2) You can pin a contact, but you can't pin a phone number. So it is two taps to call, but two taps to text and to email.
3) All texting is instant...if it is NOT instant, I'd say that is a carrier, not a phone OS. Not sure what you mean by "picture mail"...are you talking about Emails? If you get a photo in an email, you have to download it to view it. That is to save data.
4) No idea what you wouldn't be able to load in Lotus Notes, but I've never tried.
5) The calendar is really nice, but missing a weekly view (coming in next update, rumor). Connects to your Outlook.com Calendar if you want it also.
6) I like OneNote which is built into the phone and what we use at work, but there is Evernote also. Evernote | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
7) I use Yahoo daily. There is no issue at all with Yahoo Email. You don't use an app for email, it is all native functions. There is no official Wells Fargo app. They said it was in the works but not available. You'd have to use the Mobile Site, which is easily pinned to your start screen for app like access.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm an Android user and a sales rep on the go and I'm planning to get the HTC 8XT when it's available from Sprint. I don't need to do too much, but I'd like to know if these various things are available.

1. Navigation

Like I said, I don't need to do much. The above list seems pretty basic, but I've read some posts where WP seems to fall short or annoying on really basic stuff.

Thanks!

I think WP is more designed for the business field. As stated, you have Microsoft Office and Onenote built right into the phone (as well as the Evernote app). I create invoices on my Surface RT, store them on Skydrive and can access them on my phone if I need to. Vice versa.

I put everything into my calendar. Once again it syncs with my Surface RT. Vice Versa.

Plenty of nav.

Email, yep, syncs back and forth.

I think you will find WP will work for you. Everything, almost everything can be pinned to your home screen.

Don't forget the Live tiles as well!

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I know some people depending on their IT department's security/encryption policies in EAS (Exchange Active Sync) can have an issue if a certain policy on the server end is enabled (Encryption of Storage Card), but other than that I believe most people's devices work in their corporate environments. everything else you want to do seems like it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Miles of Lief

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Very encouraging! One more thing - when new software versions come along, that will be pushed out to your device to get updated correct? Like when Android goes from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean. Am I stating that correctly? Does WP do the same thing? Is that what windows 8.1 is, the next update to the software? Or do you have to get a new device that supports the new software?

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to recommend that you stop in to visit you local Verizon, ATT, or TMobile to view the calendar and contacts functionality on a WP device, ahead of your contract expiring.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses. Very encouraging! One more thing - when new software versions come along, that will be pushed out to your device to get updated correct? Like when Android goes from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean. Am I stating that correctly? Does WP do the same thing? Is that what windows 8.1 is, the next update to the software? Or do you have to get a new device that supports the new software?

Generally updates are pushed OTA.

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

Next Update will bei gdr2 than gdr3 which are only Minor Updates to the Ost, After that there will be a Big Update to Wp. 8.1 which will come to ALL WP.8 Device. Also all WP8 Updates come Over the Air.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think WP is more designed for the business field. As stated, you have Microsoft Office and Onenote built right into the phone (as well as the Evernote app). I create invoices on my Surface RT, store them on Skydrive and can access them on my phone if I need to. Vice versa.

There is one thing that is not very business like on WP and something the OP didn't ask, probably assuming you can do it, is the ability to attach files to reply email. That's a massive drawback right there for a supposedly 'business' phone. Keep in mind that the Office apps are for mobile and don't think about doing anything too extensive and you'll be fine.

Skydrive is great but need to keep in mind the limitations of the phone and what files it will recognize and allow you to use. Not being able to use ZIP files is a big let down for me, which again is a very business thing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Latest version of Lotus supports WP. Check with your IT department for your version.

Problem is that lots of companies do not use the 'latest' version of Lotus Notes or any software for that matter. Lotus Notes is by far the crappiest email system on the planet and I have no idea why any company use it IMO. I've known a lot of IT people who love the thing but from a user perspective it's horrible. Not sure about the latest version but I'm using 8.5 and I've used older versions and it hasn't changed my opinion yet.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
There is one thing that is not very business like on WP and something the OP didn't ask, probably assuming you can do it, is the ability to attach files to reply email. That's a massive drawback right there for a supposedly 'business' phone. Keep in mind that the Office apps are for mobile and don't think about doing anything too extensive and you'll be fine.

Skydrive is great but need to keep in mind the limitations of the phone and what files it will recognize and allow you to use. Not being able to use ZIP files is a big let down for me, which again is a very business thing.

Yeah, I don't ever find the need to do either, so they weren't in my inventory of knowledge.

arkavat

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I don't ever find the need to do either, so they weren't in my inventory of knowledge.

I think that's part of the problem. A lot of people think that there should be different devices for different tasks. That's fine in general but there are times when having this ability is handy. I used to do it all the time on my N8 and with WP8 not being able to do it I've found it frustrating sometimes. I don't fully get why this wasn't included as standard. Why have Office on your mobile to edit documents that you may receive and then not be able to send them back by simply attaching them. Seems strange to me. Then there's the ZIP issue but no point going there.

mwgeek

May 6, 2012
Visit site
you should ABSOLUTELY not use evernote, onenote, etc. for passwords. That is dangerous. Your IT guy would go nuts if he knew that. Use something like Lastpass, available on WP8, for passwords. It supports the proper encryption.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
For Storing Passwords :
Use Wallet App which comes built-in with WP8

Why not ? Instead of entering credit card name and number , You will be entering name instead of credit card name and password instead of credit card number.
(Add the card manually instead automatic selection)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Next Update will bei gdr2 than gdr3 which are only Minor Updates to the Ost, After that there will be a Big Update to Wp. 8.1 which will come to ALL WP.8 Device. Also all WP8 Updates come Over the Air.

Green Scorpion answered your Q but the acrynims might be lost on you. GDR2 and 3 are General Distribution Release software. They are the updates that we get through Windows Phone, all OTA (over the air) meaning you don't need a computer to update. The "Windows 8.1" you read about is just a similar timed update for the computer / tablet. We don't know what Windows Phone version GDR2 and 3 are going to be yet.

But yes, WP does the same update thing, but better :) There are a lot of Android phones that are released and will not get another update, ever (usually economy models). A lot of people got pretty upset about the Lumia 900 not going from WP7 to WP8 but it still did get an update to WP7.8. Anyway, the general understanding is that all phones released now will be on an 18 month update schedule from Microsoft. That is something they have promised in press releases. So if you buy a phone now, you will get major updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos