Support lifecycle jumps from 18 to 36 months. VPN on the way!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If Nokia goes down, WP goes down. Because it's only OEM fully committed to WP. MS really doesn't care, its aim right now is to penetrate tablet world which is actually weak. WP is nowhere near to its priority. :(

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I've always said that Nokia HAS to push Windows Phone as hard as they can because they have no backup plan, going back to Symbian is not an option and MeeGo was DOA. All other OEMs have a stable line of income from their Android devices so if WP fails Nokia disappears along with it but other OEMs won't be affected!!!!

TBH WP was doing fine without Nokia, small market share, but I seriously doubt that if Nokia goes down that WP will go down as well. WP would see a reduction of market share but it wouldn't disappear entirely, you Nokia users need to quit thinking that they are the ONLY OEM out there with WP devices!!!!

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I've always said that Nokia HAS to push Windows Phone as hard as they can because they have no backup plan, going back to Symbian is not an option and MeeGo was DOA. All other OEMs have a stable line of income from their Android devices so if WP fails Nokia disappears along with it but other OEMs won't be affected!!!!

I tend to disagree. A company like Nokia can EASILY switch to Android as a backup plan. They are trying to avoid Android at all costs, but if it comes down to it and it's absolutely needed, it should be extremely easy for them to do.

They are already using hardware components that are completely compatible with Android. Such little change would be needed lol

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I tend to disagree. A company like Nokia can EASILY switch to Android as a backup plan. They are trying to avoid Android at all costs, but if it comes down to it and it's absolutely needed, it should be extremely easy for them to do.

They are already using hardware components that are completely compatible with Android. Such little change would be needed lol

That's the point though, if they are trying to avoid Android at all costs what alternative do they have?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
If you are really trying to support an argument about Microsoft wanting money, then you have already lost all credibility.

Please explain. The fact that they have a monopoly and you like it doesn't make them less profit-oriented.

Microsoft has been with me from the moment I first ever used a computer. They have been in every school I went to, every organization I've ever been to, every company I worked for, and they have maintained that for multiple reasons.

ScreenSaver24

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if i can stay aboard the windows phone train much longer. I just don't feel this platform is going anywhere fast. I have been a WP supporter since it came out and have had the 900 as my main phone for a while. I was looking to get the 1020 when it was released but at $299 and Microsoft being completely quiet about where the WP platform is going i just don't know any more.

They don't need say when exactly but at least give me an idea of where they are taking this platform, which phones will handle the new upgrades and so on. I mean i am starting to get the feeling that Microsoft is unsure what to do with WP.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Please explain. The fact that they have a monopoly and you like it doesn't make them less profit-oriented.

Please lookup and post the definition of the word monopoly. Then explain how it relates to Microsoft. They do not have a monopoly. They have had competition forever.

It may seem like a monopoly but it's not. What it actually comes down to is that Microsoft has more experience in their field than any of their competitors. They chose particular business strategies in the beginning that were different from their competitors and it happened to pay off much better.

I'm done arguing. You do not understand enough about the subject.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Please lookup and post the definition of the word monopoly. Then explain how it relates to Microsoft. They do not have a monopoly. They have had competition forever.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corporation

I just assumed you were young back then, but with your enthusiasm without criticism and this "I am right you are wrong that is all I say" attitude I might be wrong.

Sure, things have changed and we all see how Microsoft is struggling now.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
United States v. Microsoft Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just assumed you were young back then, but with your enthusiasm without criticism and this "I am right you are wrong that is all I say" attitude I might be wrong.

Sure, things have changed and we all see how Microsoft is struggling now.

Oh look, the court case that targeted Microsoft for bundling IE in it's operating system. A court case that Microsoft essentially won. They were brought to court for bundling in IE, and after the case was settled, they were able to continue to bundle in IE. Sounds like a victory to me... Isn't it weird that Apple or Google aren't being brought to court for identical actions?

Also, once again you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Microsoft is struggling? They might be struggling in a certain market or two, but as a company they not struggling at all. They are still well ahead of the competition. Record profit margins doesn't sound like they are struggling to me.....

Please keep feeding me ammo so I can keep firing it right back at you...

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Oh look, the court case that targeted Microsoft for bundling IE in it's operating system. Isn't it weird that Apple or Google aren't being brought to court for identical actions?

Also, once again you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Microsoft is struggling? They might be struggling in a certain market or two, but as a company they not struggling at all. They are still well ahead of the competition. Record profit margins doesn't sound like they are struggling to me.....

Please keep feeding me ammo so I can keep firing it right back at you...

They are struggling with consumer opinion, not with money. Look at their very profitable Xbox branch and the PR disaster with the One, Windows 8 and 8.1 or the thread right here.

I have never said they are not successful or anything, just that they had and have many misses.

It is just amazing how emotional you are over a company, very Apple ****** like behaviour.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
They are struggling with consumer opinion, not with money. Look at their very profitable Xbox branch and the PR disaster with the One, Windows 8 and 8.1 or the thread right here.

I have never said they are not successful or anything, just that they had and have many misses.

It is just amazing how emotional you are over a company, very Apple ****** like behaviour.

I prefer Microsoft, but I will defend Google or Apple just as much on certain points. I'm emotional towards the entire industry I work in.

Microsoft will always struggle with consumer opinion. The problem is that consumer opinion is not controllable. Microsoft can be flawless and 100 times better than the competition and consumers will still talk down on them.

I give credit where it's due, and right now Microsoft deserves that credit.

tmccaghren

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think we're all suffering from slow updates disappointment, considering the issues that abound and this thread is really starting to show the lack of trust that people have in MS.

I'm starting to think that people feel that we're heading for another WP7 situation. The only thing I could see that would prevent the upgrade to WP9 would be processor power but I can't see that happening as WP is supposed to be a 'light' OS. I can't see WP9 dropping support for things that exist on WP8, that would just be plain silly and would simply kill any hope of WP succeeding. So as I stated before, unless someone can provide a reason why we wouldn't be able to upgrade to WP9 I think we should just wait and see. Let's get to WP8.1 first and see if that is any good then we can complain about WP9 after that.
My apologies, not was not my intent to be negative, but to say that I understand the apprehension some users feel.

I have nothing but love for Microsoft products (with the exception of lync...for some reason providing tech support for that program sucks), and this is coming from a WP 7.8 user that moved over from an iPhone 5...

Last edited:

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft details new Windows Phone 8 update, but real fixes won't come until 2014 | The Verge

A little bit more communication instead of delays and rumors would help. If they'd tell us this directly, at least they wouldn't just seem lazy or uncommitted:

We've learned that Microsoft had planned to roll out a number of Windows Phone updates more frequently, but delays in testing new chipsets and bugs in some of the GDR updates have slowed down feature additions. One particular bug with unbranded devices not sold by carriers is said to have affected the way a handset is identified on a network. We're told that Microsoft had a hard time fixing this particular problem, resulting in delays to other planned work.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft details new Windows Phone 8 update, but real fixes won't come until 2014 | The Verge

A little bit more communication instead of delays and rumors would help. If they'd tell us this directly, at least they wouldn't just seem lazy or uncommitted:
This is so true. . .

Look at all the threads here on topics that would be moot but for no communication from MS. Customers (when dealt with honestly) can and are usually very forgiving and understanding. MS (and other companies of their ilk) would be far better served by sharing progress, roadblocks, and solutions with the public. They cannot control rumor; and rumors start in a vacuum. . . .

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes I feel that new Asha 501 has all those features that we're demanding since wp7.

anyone have an asha here? of interest would be to see how much of our GDR2 wish list is in the Nokia asha already.
the Nokia Xpress Browser which ships with the Lumia, is also used on the Asha

so if i am understanding correctly Nokia have an OS development team as well? and they are not working on WP but on Asha?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/231548-what-you-expectations-gdr2-update.html

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

TBH WP was doing fine without Nokia, small market share, but I seriously doubt that if Nokia goes down that WP will go down as well. WP would see a reduction of market share but it wouldn't disappear entirely, you Nokia users need to quit thinking that they are the ONLY OEM out there with WP devices!!!!

Nobody knows that HTC , Samsung are also WP OEMs. At least outside US & Some European countries. WP is seeing momentum because of Nokia and its presence in countries like China,India,etc. Nobody knows about WP but Lumia. I don't think WP would have even survived this long without Nokia.

And tiny market share is fine ?? LoL. You people still argue that WP is fine without some essential features.

You MS fanbois need to quit thinking that MS can make WP successful without Nokia.

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
anyone have an asha here? of interest would be to see how much of our GDR2 wish list is in the Nokia asha already.
the Nokia Xpress Browser which ships with the Lumia, is also used on the Asha

so if i am understanding correctly Nokia have an OS development team as well? and they are not working on WP but on Asha?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/231548-what-you-expectations-gdr2-update.html

Are you scared about Nokia developing Asha OS or you are asking genuinely ??

Asha OS is S40's new version. Nokia already had it.

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
i read a bit up on Nokia Developer - Nokia Asha

This phone is the N9 reincarnated. Nokia even offers training courses for asha app developers. It already has clock glance screen & double tap to wake !

Of course i suppose it doesnt sport the security model that WP8 has, does the average user care about this?
Nokia said they will be selling 100Million of these. Those could have been 100M WP8 phones.

Nokia Launches SDK and In-App Payment Tool For New Asha Platform

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
People want features, nobody wants such tight security model, MS must let users control the phone. We don't have any media player goddamit. All I see is camera apps around, what should I do with them on my 520 ??

tmccaghren

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
People want features, nobody wants such tight security model, MS must let users control the phone. We don't have any media player goddamit. All I see is camera apps around, what should I do with them on my 520 ??

U mad, bro? X-)

Seriously, though, if "nobody" wanted the tight security model, Apple's iPhone would have already ceased to exist.

And there *is* a media player...it just doesn't play all the formats. I would agree that that is frustrating, but that's what I have a laptop and tablet for, so it isn't a huge deal.

To your earlier comment about small market share, it has been increasing quarter over quarter. They are in a market that is thoroughly saturated with Samsung and Apple devices, though, so their increase will come slowly. This growth will also be slower than the others--Apple and Samsung (for all intents and purposes, Samsung is currently synonymous with Android) started at a time when there was almost no competition, so their rise should not be the example to compare against.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softradix