Tiles aren't auto updating

clmbngbkng

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
The title says it all. I've been with WP from day 1 with a Samsung Focus and went through the live tiles issues then. Those were taken care of, but now on my 920 I'm not seeing tiles updating from numerous apps.

Baconit, Amazing Weather HD, and Weatherflow do not update their tiles unless I open the apps first. I have reinstalled these apps and triple checked their background tasks were enabled but am not having any luck.
Weatherflow was bought and installed after I noticed this issue with Amazing Weather HD but both continue to have this issue.

Any suggestions for how to fix this other than a hard reset? If WP would save game progress to the cloud, I would hard reset in a heartbeat.
Thanks!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Zombie tiles. I have the same problem and I don't think there is a solution except that I suspect its tied to the number of apps on the phone and not so much as the number of apps allowed to run in the background. It is a weakness in the live tile layer and MS has never addressed it as far as I know.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That is why I will never again purchase anything with windows on it

That's a bold statement!

I tried WP, twice, but I decided to give it some more time to mature. I'm hoping that sometime in the future it's on par with Android & iOS. I'm certainly not saying I'll never get another one because I expect I will sometime down the road.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Same problem has developed here...Windows Phone 8 and Lumia 920 here

Amazing Weather HD
NextGen Reader
Windows Phone Central

All have stopped updating the past few days...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
That's a bold statement!

I tried WP, twice, but I decided to give it some more time to mature. I'm hoping that sometime in the future it's on par with Android & iOS. I'm certainly not saying I'll never get another one because I expect I will sometime down the road.

I'm sort of hopeful this reorg at MS will help...I mean, look at XBOX Music...horrid (and I can back that statement up with my experience with it) and never should have been released in current condition. They have a lot of broken things that they release and deal with later.

bbraune

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I posted this on a different thread so I figured I'd post it hear to.
After over a month of the live tiles not updating on my 920 I finally got them working again. Here is what I did:

I had 72 apps listed under "advanced" Background tasks. I deleted 7 apps that I have never used. Five of those apps do have live tiles on my start menu that I wanted to continue to be updated. For the remaining 60 apps, I opened each app one at a time to clear out any initial warning messages. I then went into the settings of each app to disable push notifications, live tile updates, and/or lock screen control. (I left the location service enabled if available) None of these 60 apps were pinned to the start menu, but one or more of those settings were turned on by default. Once I hit the magic sweet spot, my five live tiles starting updating again. No phone restart/reboot was necessary. My Weather Channel live tile that wouldn't update unless I opened the app is now updating again and I haven't opened the app since.

It's like I have a brand new phone.

I hope this information helps someone else with the same issue.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I posted this on a different thread so I figured I'd post it hear to.
After over a month of the live tiles not updating on my 920 I finally got them working again. Here is what I did:

I had 72 apps listed under "advanced" Background tasks. I deleted 7 apps that I have never used. Five of those apps do have live tiles on my start menu that I wanted to continue to be updated. For the remaining 60 apps, I opened each app one at a time to clear out any initial warning messages. I then went into the settings of each app to disable push notifications, live tile updates, and/or lock screen control. (I left the location service enabled if available) None of these 60 apps were pinned to the start menu, but one or more of those settings were turned on by default. Once I hit the magic sweet spot, my five live tiles starting updating again. No phone restart/reboot was necessary. My Weather Channel live tile that wouldn't update unless I opened the app is now updating again and I haven't opened the app since.

It's like I have a brand new phone.

I hope this information helps someone else with the same issue.

I'm glad you got if fixed! What I find interesting is that issues like this, where you have to micromanage to make things work, are supposed to happen on Android, not WP8! (I use all 3 OS's so I can say that :smile:) More than 5 live tiles shouldn't cause them to not update.

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you got if fixed! What I find interesting is that issues like this, where you have to micromanage to make things work, are supposed to happen on Android, not WP8! (I use all 3 OS's so I can say that :smile:) More than 5 live tiles shouldn't cause them to not update.
managing background tasks graciously does seem to be an area where future versions of WP8 can and should improve. Its the job of the OS to manage these things, not the user's.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That is why I will never again purchase anything with windows on it, its a shame that Nokia hitched it's wagon to that terrible OS. Can't wait until Nokia bottoms out and comes over to Android.

You think a Zombie tiles makes the OS terrible?

iamstevie

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You think a Zombie tiles makes the OS terrible?

I would agree with that. Live tiles is the systems USP and the first thing people see when the phone switches on. It would be like walking into a Michelin star restaurant and seeing Gordon Ramsey passed out on the floor. Allowing this problem to be so widespread is pretty pathetic on Microsoft's part (blame also lies with developers, but given how heavy-handed MS is with controlling the app ecosystem, they are ultimately responsible).

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
managing background tasks graciously does seem to be an area where future versions of WP8 can and should improve. Its the job of the OS to manage these things, not the user's.
IMO this is one of those app parameters that should be set by the user on first run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon