WP8 concerns and questions - deciding between 928 and HTC One

John Paul Triculis

May 9, 2013
Visit site
So I've decided to get rid of my QWERTY Blackberry and finally move on to greener pastures in the smartphone world and I've been trying to decide what route to take. I'm stuck with Verizon since this will be a work phone and I have it down to the 928 and the upcoming HTC One. So ultimately WP8 vs Android and I have a few WP8 questions that perhaps people can help me with. Apps on WP8 don't bother me so much.

1. I LOVE Google Maps in NYC for directions of all types - mass transit, driving, etc. For those in NYC have the Nokia maps been a positive experience? I love the fact that I can download maps ahead of time and next month I'll be renting a car in Greece but using maps locally with a data connection is where I'll get the most use.

2. Email. I have Exchange through work and its troubling to hear that I can't simply forward emails with attachments. I know nothing has been confirmed for GDR2 but what the hell? I guess not so much a question but more a comment.

3. Group messaging. I know this is a Verizon thing but again what the hell? I can't see how Nokia/MS could allow a product to be out there with such a basic feature missing. It seems like a lot of basic features are missing with WP8 - notifications, screen orientation lock....it doesn't seem like MS is in a hurry to resolve any of it.

Comments and feedback are appreciated!

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
So I've decided to get rid of my QWERTY Blackberry and finally move on to greener pastures in the smartphone world and I've been trying to decide what route to take. I'm stuck with Verizon since this will be a work phone and I have it down to the 928 and the upcoming HTC One. So ultimately WP8 vs Android and I have a few WP8 questions that perhaps people can help me with. Apps on WP8 don't bother me so much.

1. I LOVE Google Maps in NYC for directions of all types - mass transit, driving, etc. For those in NYC have the Nokia maps been a positive experience? I love the fact that I can download maps ahead of time and next month I'll be renting a car in Greece but using maps locally with a data connection is where I'll get the most use.

2. Email. I have Exchange through work and its troubling to hear that I can't simply forward emails with attachments. I know nothing has been confirmed for GDR2 but what the hell? I guess not so much a question but more a comment.

3. Group messaging. I know this is a Verizon thing but again what the hell? I can't see how Nokia/MS could allow a product to be out there with such a basic feature missing. It seems like a lot of basic features are missing with WP8 - notifications, screen orientation lock....it doesn't seem like MS is in a hurry to resolve any of it.

1. I don't live in NYC, can't help there. But it works fine for me in my hometown.

2. I don't use enterprise email, so uh, yeah, not really any help there either.

3. Group Messaging is just around the corner. You won't have much of a wait for it.

Sorry I can't help more than that. I have a Nokia 822 and it has been the best phone I've had to date.

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
1. Nokia's suite of navigational apps take care of me even in a tiny town with traffic and such. I can't say it will be the same for NY but I never had a problem. 2. What kind of attachment are you sending? Most apps that use particular files have sharing options. 3. Actually not Microsoft's fault there. That is Verizon. Mine works perfectly. ;)

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

I live in NYC and have a 928, and find the maps pretty good. However, I can use google maps whenever I want by using gMaps / gMaps Pro (but haven't needed to).

I have no problem with forwarding emails with attachments, I think the issue is sending new emails with attachments.

As for group messaging, this should come tthrough with the release of GDR 2, which I have been told (by VZW tech, long story) is late July. Since you are on VZW, this will be out before they release the HTC One.

It sounds like your cconcerns will be largely non-issues by the time the One is released.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
1. I don't live in NYC, can't help there. But it works fine for me in my hometown.

2. I don't use enterprise email, so uh, yeah, not really any help there either.

3. Group Messaging is just around the corner. You won't have much of a wait for it.

Sorry I can't help more than that. I have a Nokia 822 and it has been the best phone I've had to date.

Useful replies...

1. Latest version of HERE Drive+ will be available soon (tomorrow?) it will include live traffic updates, HERE Maps will give you walking directions if you want them.
2. It's about attaching Office documents to a reply email. However you can forward with attachments. You have to create a new email to attach documents but you have to do it through Skydrive or Office hub. Crap way of doing things but such is WP.
3. Not sure about this one. You have People Hub which allows 'Rooms' Using Rooms and Groups | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom) for group messaging.

It's a hope that the GDR updates will take care of some issues (GDR2 Aug and GDR3 later this year) then there will be WP8.1 first qtr 2014. I don't expect much from the GDR updates except for possible extension and fixes of OS and integrated software. We probabaly won't see new features until WP8.1. However, not sure about anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)