Do you recommend always on wifi when the screen times out?

john_777

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I have been messing with the settings of my new lumia 520 and found the Advance Settings of the Wifi.
There is option to enable/disable: "Keep Wi-fi on when the screen times out"
What is the best option? What will happen to the Software updates (apps, OS) being downloaded if the settings was set to disable? What about notifications of online apps like email and facebook?

Need4Geek

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Of course any notifications and/or downloads will be suspended until your phone reconnects to the WiFi. I suggest you to enable it only if you're downloading something or if you're waiting for an email.

MAkhdar

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You still get notifications, it checks periodically, I personally have it enabled and it helps make the battery last longer.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If you're on a small data cap, it is best to keep WiFi alive. The extra battery consumption is negligible according to my experiment.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the OP (kind of), do you recommend leaving Wifi and 4G/LTE on all the time? If so, which one takes priority over the other, and how will that affect my battery?

elyodeel

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920. I leave the WiFi on whenever I am in a building with poor cell service. It actually improves my battery life, I suspect because it uses the WiFi instead of low signal LTE.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the OP (kind of), do you recommend leaving Wifi and 4G/LTE on all the time? If so, which one takes priority over the other, and how will that affect my battery?

I leave both on my 920 on all the time. Wifi will have priority over cell data. As for battery life, you will only notice a little if you use your phone a lot (screen on) in an area that there is no wifi service. The phone will search for wifi networks from time to time if it is not connected to one. But the phone won't search for wifi network when screen is off.

awkm

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I have a 920. I leave the WiFi on whenever I am in a building with poor cell service. It actually improves my battery life, I suspect because it uses the WiFi instead of low signal LTE.

This. If a phone is constantly battling low signal it's best to use wifi if it's available.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I leave the WIFI on because I hate waiting for it to reconnect when I unlock the screen. Haven't noticed extra battery drain.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes