IPS or Super AMOLED? (Poll Edition)

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: IPS or AMOLED?

I just took a look at a Lumia 928 and I have to say I do not like the AMOLED display. It's oversaturated just like my Droid incredible was. I've gotta go with IPS at the expense of true blacks.

TraciLords

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

IPS LED LCD Hands down.

After owning several Samsung galaxy/nexus amoled phones, I could never get used to the not fully white colors.
I would have chosen the Samsung Ativ wp8 device as it has better hardware specs, however the l920 won due to the IPS screen.
I may have upgraded to the l1020, however that screen has turned me off.
I am patiently waiting for the next Lumia with an IPS screen.
Currently, I specifically look for phones/tablets with IPS screens.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
After using my ATIV S for 6 months, I could observe some slight marks left on the screen, I'm not sure how to explain this, but those marks become clearly observable when the entire screen displays in white. In that case I don't know if I would still vote for AMOLED, however the display effect of AMOLED is remarkable beyond description, I still love it....

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Amoled, rich colors, inky blacks, and awesome sunlight readability. Plus, since my color profile on my Lumia is "Dark," saves battery too, seeing as not all the pixels need to be on at once. :)

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

IPS LED LCD Hands down.

After owning several Samsung galaxy/nexus amoled phones, I could never get used to the not fully white colors.
I would have chosen the Samsung Ativ wp8 device as it has better hardware specs, however the l920 won due to the IPS screen.
I may have upgraded to the l1020, however that screen has turned me off.
I am patiently waiting for the next Lumia with an IPS screen.
Currently, I specifically look for phones/tablets with IPS screens.

The Lumia 1020 comes with Nokia's Color Profile, so you can adjust the display to your liking.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Which uses least power?

Generally, Amoled, because unlike LCD, which, even when the screen is very dark, the whole display is still technically "on," meanwhile, Amoled can turn off each individual pixel when not in use. This allows Amoled to create more inky, "true" blacks, and in theory, less power. Conversely, however, constantly displaying bright objects (I.E: setting your phone's theme to white) can cause it to consume more power in trying to feed all the power hunger pixels.

Most seem to prefer Amoled these days, but many still prefer LCD. To each his own.

pwaikon

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I prefer IPS. I have had Lumia 800 with Pentile Amoled (252 PPI) and now I have Lumia 620 with IPS LCD (246 PPI). The reason I prefer IPS is that believe or not, the Lumia 620 screen looks sharper to my eyes than the L800 screen thou it has lower PPI! The reason is that it is not Pentile. I do believe that Pentile Amoled looks just fine with 720p screens but the truth is that Pentile makes any 200+ PPI screen look really bad!

So, for now I choose IPS but in the future when I get a phone with 300+ PPI screen I just might choose Amoled :smile:

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I prefer IPS. I have had Lumia 800 with Pentile Amoled (252 PPI) and now I have Lumia 620 with IPS LCD (246 PPI). The reason I prefer IPS is that believe or not, the Lumia 620 screen looks sharper to my eyes than the L800 screen thou it has lower PPI! The reason is that it is not Pentile. I do believe that Pentile Amoled looks just fine with 720p screens but the truth is that Pentile makes any 200+ PPI screen look really bad!

So, for now I choose IPS but in the future when I get a phone with 300+ PPI screen I just might choose Amoled :smile:

But AMOLED != PenTile. There are also LCD Pentile screens, and afaik the 820 has an RGB amoled

pwaikon

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
But AMOLED != PenTile. There are also LCD Pentile screens, and afaik the 820 has an RGB amoled

I'm sorry I don't know what AMOLED != Pentile means. Can you enlighten me? :eek:rly:

Yes, the Lumia 820 has a non-PenTile Amoled screen. I hope Nokia continues using these displays on their phones :smile:

hombreee

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
L820 AMOLED looks great to me. Much better then I expected. Details are fine and view angles are great. Yes it is oversaturated, but this is a phone, not DTP work station. Afret AMBER update, we will have option to adjust the saturation.

Last edited:

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry I don't know what AMOLED != Pentile means. Can you enlighten me? :eek:rly:

Yes, the Lumia 820 has a non-PenTile Amoled screen. I hope Nokia continues using these displays on their phones :smile:

I meant exactly what you said, some people think AMOLED is always Pentile, and I had no "not equal" letter :D
I think AMOLEDs look awesome, and especially with Glance they are really in advantage on Lumias.

Owen Groundhog

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

i come from a htc radar.. which i believe has some lcd screen..
now im using a motorola droid with amoled and yes the colors are more saturated but i noticed the screen gets really hot after some reading.
i havent experienced this with my htc radar.
so, they say black is good for amoled and saves energy.. but on the overall i got the feeling lcd is better for your battery.
(thats why id chose ips)

if someone knows stuff about energy consumption of ips and amoled plz tell me cuz i think thats very important. :)

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
lee-corso1.jpg

e25e6f14_CamronCasket.gif

IPS LCD is back from the dead!

immyperez

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

I love the deeper blacks on my Lumia 1020 and the improved battery life...but the Lumia 920 display was truly boss! There is a slight fuzziness at times on my 1020 (second one I've owned so I know it's not faulty) that just kills the whole experience a little! Kind of wish I stayed with the 920 for the 1520!!! But I'm sure the 2520 tablet will make up for it all!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6