Data sense

muitosabao

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Lumia 925 today, and I have to say that the new Data Sense app is awesome. But gosh, one has to wonder, what the hell is MS doing. We all know this kind of rants are abundant and lead to very little. But! we are all supporting this WP platform (I changed from iPhone 3GS to Lumia 800 > 920 > 925) and sometimes I really wonder if they even care? There was something very similar in WP7 (way more simple ok, Counters), they took it away in WP8, but announced data sense...10 months ago if i''m not mistaken when they announced WP8. And yet it only comes now, in selected phones...
Such a long time to implement such simple features. come the hell on guys, hurry up and get these features out! And I don't even mean proper ones, like notification center and the likes...i mean basic functionality!

/rant

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The carriers have more to do with delays of data sense than Microsoft. They are the ones that have to enable it.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The counters aspect of Data Sense can be entirely done in-phone and all the compression feature needs is an MS proxy server in the same way Opera Mini works. Nothing about Data Sense needs carrier approval, except carriers don't want compression available (saves you money and so loses them profit) or counters (allows you to challenge their measurements which in the case of Orange UK are often wrong) so some kind of 'deal' has clearly been struck with MS which hurts us all. Such is the world we live in.

Now stop being subversive and give them your money like you're supposed to.

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
The counters aspect of Data Sense can be entirely done in-phone and all the compression feature needs is an MS proxy server in the same way Opera Mini works. Nothing about Data Sense needs carrier approval, except carriers don't want compression available (saves you money and so loses them profit) or counters (allows you to challenge their measurements which in the case of Orange UK are often wrong) so some kind of 'deal' has clearly been struck with MS which hurts us all. Such is the world we live in.

Now stop being subversive and give them your money like you're supposed to.
EExactly !! Data sense doesn't need carriers !!! It only needs carrier control if u want data compression some people just cant understand that ;)

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that MS made some sort of Data Sense exclusivity deal with Verizon. I even remember seeing some mention of that on Verizon's website at one point. There's no technical reason that they need carrier cooperation to put it on all phones. I guess if you want to see total usage on a shared data plan then you would need carrier support, but they could at least give everyone all the other data sense features.

awkm

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Just got my Lumia 925 today, and I have to say that the new Data Sense app is awesome. But gosh, one has to wonder, what the hell is MS doing. We all know this kind of rants are abundant and lead to very little. But! we are all supporting this WP platform (I changed from iPhone 3GS to Lumia 800 > 920 > 925) and sometimes I really wonder if they even care? There was something very similar in WP7 (way more simple ok, Counters), they took it away in WP8, but announced data sense...10 months ago if i''m not mistaken when they announced WP8. And yet it only comes now, in selected phones...
Such a long time to implement such simple features. come the hell on guys, hurry up and get these features out! And I don't even mean proper ones, like notification center and the likes...i mean basic functionality!

/rant
Is Data Sense optional or something? Seems to work fine on my phone.

And I'm not sure about this "notification centre". What do you want to display on it? My start screen gives me all the notifications I need lol

muitosabao

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Is Data Sense optional or something? Seems to work fine on my phone.

And I'm not sure about this "notification centre". What do you want to display on it? My start screen gives me all the notifications I need lol
it gives you all the notifications if you have the live tile pined to the start screen

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I live in India, we don't have carrier branded phones here, we have to buy fully unlocked phone and still my friend has data sense in his Lumia 820. He has 3 sim cards of different carriers and he changes them frequently and all work well with data sense. Is it really a Carrier thingy ??

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb