Am I the only one who doesnt like Bing Search?

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Call me crazy but I just dont like the way it presents the result let alone what result it shows me. I use the google search app and would love if I could map it to the magnifying glass button

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Why call you crazy? Its not about that. It won't make you change what you are accustomed to anyway so keep using it.

I prefer Bing. I find the results are cleaner, less duplication, much better presentation and better looking presentation of articles than does google.

I also find Bing especially fitting when I was taking classes a few years ago. Matched results to my searches almost perfectly.
That was a few years ago and today, it is popping on all cylinders and only getting better. But you like goog so stick with it.

I prefer this:

kei1yb.jpg

You prefer this:

33cyufq.jpg

If you notice there are NO pesky ads with Bing and you get social to boot.
But on the goog,its ads front and center, all day 24/7. With Bing you also get clickable options. "Also Try" Choices of things other than the original search, right on top the results. And on top of that search, you get LOCAL articles for the state you're in. Now that's ballin'. Can't get that with a search more interested in showing ads than content. Bing seems to be a People before profit engine. Fits me better.

With Bing search, you get that cool camera icon.
That gives you this:

nwn1oh.jpg

But use what appeals to you. We still get the same results but mine is a bit more precision and looks great too.

Last edited:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Idk, used google for years. Switched to Bing for the rewards, and now I won't go back... Unless I need to search an address, google has better roadside pics on %75 of the addresses I have to research.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I like the search results much better with Bing. But if I need to use/see a map I use Google. Bing maps are lacking.

That's interesting; I actually am exactly opposite of you! I much prefer Google's search results, but I like Bing maps. The only reason I prefer their maps, though, is Bird's Eye View. I use that a lot. If I'm just getting directions or something I still use Google maps.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I was all about google search. Never liked bing. But then I gave it a real try once I moved to WP. Well, surprises of all surprises, I now like Bing more. Who knew?

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I meant on the phone not the PC.

For me I like to find a lot of my info in forums, and when i search on my phone for something I feel like I never get a forum to pop up in the results.

I feel like I get better information in the results with google, maybe I need to try again

nokian920

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Google works better for me.
Speaking of WP, I have found a way to remap search hardware key to Google.
But then I remapped it back to Bing, because of quick music search.
Still using Google for other searching.

p.s. my fellow MS employee told me, at MS, they're using Google too :angel:

Wazzim

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I meant on the phone not the PC.

For me I like to find a lot of my info in forums, and when i search on my phone for something I feel like I never get a forum to pop up in the results.

I feel like I get better information in the results with google, maybe I need to try again

Yeah Bing doesn't seem good for forums and let that be something I look for when searching for solutions, advice etc. For commercial and entertainment kind of searches Bing is better.

anon(5346288)

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
You are right about the forum results on Bing. They are so lacking compared to Google. That's about the only thing I don't like about Bing. Everything else (maps, daily picture, presentation, Bing rewards, etc) I love.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Bing is still in beta in Switzerland and accordingly bad are the results I get.

If I could use Google on the search button I would definitely use it more than just by accident sometimes...

rasputin01

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Would be interesting to try swapping Bing for google if possible.

My gripe with the IE is that if I get a call or hit my home button then go back to IE I can not hit the back button and go to where I was previously like safari.

Hit the home button and you are done, have to retype your search and start over.

lce123

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't mind bing but as someone who works in IT I would pick Chrome over IE any day of the week

Sent from my iPhone

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I usually use both. In English searches, I use bing, because its results are as good as google (maybe better?) and I can launch it by tapping a single button. But when I want to look for something in my native language (Persian), I use google. In Persian searching, google is providing much better results than bing.

Torch4x4

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't like Bing results in my PC, like the presentation but not the results, I'm using Bing as a default search if I dont like the results then I go to Google, and it happends all the time... so it's Bing it's not good for me in my PC.
however I'm using Bing in my WP8 all the time becouse the organization of information using metro (web, local, media, shopping).

In Limbo

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Like others, I only use Google in the rare instance that I need to see an address. Otherwise, the Bing experience is like a breath of fresh air.

Question: do I get bing rewards through my WP too?

Divjot Singh

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Some thoughts on Bing search from my experience (of 7 months with Lumia 920):
1) Initially , I wished man i so badly need google on this
2) Later on , searching for images made me crazy , Bing search on WP is the best image search app , period! It shows the content so nicely and just makes searching images/videos so easy!
3) Further , I noticed that if you select a text and then tap the search button on WP , it immediately searches for the selected text, this was really smart of it and saves couple of clicks
4) With location services on , you can search for food joints and swipe to "local". I'll tell you my experience , I live in New Delhi, India , and I wanted to search for the phone number of KFC restaurant near my house and accidentally typed KFC in bing , and boom! I was shown the local tab with a map and the nearest KFC's location. I was like , "that's quite smart" , but wait , it doesn't end here , I tapped that field and it showed me the phone number of it and there I was ordering my burger! It essentially took typing the word KFC and tapping on it to get me to call it! Also , the drive+ turn by turn navigation can also be accessed from that field and you can get directions immediately.
5) After having dumped google both from IE10 on WP and my PC , now I just realize how fast and reliable bing is! I even tried changing the language of Bing on my phone to see what all features US folks get , and there I saw news and top videos in their version of bing , with music search and local scout. I just wish MS releases these features for India too asap.

So , I would say , just give it a try and see how it works, you'll love it eventually! (You have to :devil: )

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey, that select and search is a cool trick, never knew about that! It's funny how you learn new things even after like 8 months of owning the phone :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)