Am I the only one who doesnt like Bing Search?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm with Sinime. I started using Bing for the rewards and have become acustomed to using it. Initially Bing lacked the feature to filter by time period. I guess after enough negative comments by me and whomever else they have added this feature. I do still use GOOG once in a while but 99% of my searches go through Bing.

What can you say. They give you free stuff just for using them.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Some thoughts on Bing search from my experience (of 7 months with Lumia 920):
1) Initially , I wished man i so badly need google on this
2) Later on , searching for images made me crazy , Bing search on WP is the best image search app , period! It shows the content so nicely and just makes searching images/videos so easy!
3) Further , I noticed that if you select a text and then tap the search button on WP , it immediately searches for the selected text, this was really smart of it and saves couple of clicks
4) With location services on , you can search for food joints and swipe to "local". I'll tell you my experience , I live in New Delhi, India , and I wanted to search for the phone number of KFC restaurant near my house and accidentally typed KFC in bing , and boom! I was shown the local tab with a map and the nearest KFC's location. I was like , "that's quite smart" , but wait , it doesn't end here , I tapped that field and it showed me the phone number of it and there I was ordering my burger! It essentially took typing the word KFC and tapping on it to get me to call it! Also , the drive+ turn by turn navigation can also be accessed from that field and you can get directions immediately.
5) After having dumped google both from IE10 on WP and my PC , now I just realize how fast and reliable bing is! I even tried changing the language of Bing on my phone to see what all features US folks get , and there I saw news and top videos in their version of bing , with music search and local scout. I just wish MS releases these features for India too asap.

So , I would say , just give it a try and see how it works, you'll love it eventually! (You have to :devil: )

H'm. The search for location > call + nav functions are present in Android Google search as well - obviously they would not be available on WP8.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Bing autocomplete just plain sucks.

So here I am, looking to learn the JS crossfilter API for some visualisation work I need to do.

Bing: Type "crossfilt". Suggested results: "crossfit", crossfit mumbai, crossfilt gurgaon. (I don't even live in Mumbai or Gurgaon!). First result after typing crossfilter: crossfilter.org, which has nothing to do with what I need. The second result is the correct page. 3,4,5 are some random Portuguese (I think) sites. Suggested searches: RELATED SEARCHES
Fuel Filter Cross-Reference
Mann Filters Cross-Reference
Mahle Filters Cross-Reference
Baldwin Filter Cross-Reference
Crosland Filter Cross-Reference
Donaldson Filter Cross-Reference
Fleetguard Filter Cross-Reference
Filter Cross Reference Guide

Google: type crossfilt - autocompletes to crossfilter, crossfilter tutorial, crossfilter example. Then first result is the Github reference page for Crossfilter. 2,3,4,5 are various tutorials, blogs et al with usage examples for the API.

Sorry guys, but el Goog is still the king.

Bing may be 'good enough' for some people, but it's not the best. And why should I not use the best?

blzr409

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I also took to using Bing just for the rewards. I have just recently gotten to the point where I automatically go to Bing when I want to search. Took a while for my mind to get there. There are still certain things where I have to use Google, though. Computer error codes are a big one there. I also occasionally need to use Google when I'm not 100% sure what I'm searching for. It seems a bit more friendly to some goofy wording while I'm struggling to get to what I want.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Just as I wonder why people who don't use Microsoft products come to MS sites and complain when people don't agree with them.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There are still certain things where I have to use Google, though. Computer error codes are a big one there.

I find that to be true as well. At work I do some PC repair, and ironically, if I need to research a problem (with Microsoft Windows) Google usually gives me much better results than Bing. Even searching for Microsoft products that are found on Microsoft's website is often better on Google. Don't ask me why!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I find that to be true as well. At work I do some PC repair, and ironically, if I need to research a problem (with Microsoft Windows) Google usually gives me much better results than Bing. Even searching for Microsoft products that are found on Microsoft's website is often better on Google. Don't ask me why!

To each his own. I work in IT as well and have never had a problem finding an error code or a knowledge base article using Bing.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I was an avid Google user and initially thought I wouldn't like Bing.
I am finding that I like it more and more every day that I use it.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Most of the time, I never notice the difference.

Then, every once in a while, I find myself having an enormously difficult time getting anything useful. After several aborted attempts, I eventually remember that I'm on Bing, and manually switch back over to The Goog, and problems solved until next time.

Most of the time, it's just fine, though.

lfjj

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I've used the search button ONCE since January when I bought my 920. It's just frustrating and in the way because I always press it by accident. Will we ever be able to remap it to Google?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
google is great for doing crazy obscure searches, like the serial number off a part. Bing gives you more relative and contextual high graded results. When i'm on my phone I want the most relevant result for my context.

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Him and 90% of Europe, 70% of the USA and similar percentages of most other large countries/regions except China (Baidu) and Russia (Yandex).

Sigh. I know this site is MS-oriented but sometimes the fanboyism gets to me.

I'm pretty sure Inteller was just being snarky about it. The desire to map Google to the search button has been a requested feature since the early days of WP7.0. I share your pain regarding the fanboyism, but in this case your Fanboyism Detector is returning a false positive.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I love the presentation of Bing, but like I said I prefer results that include a lot of forums, as I feel that is where most real world answers are.

I used Bing for more local things and what not. I just wish it included more forums in the results

qudahamohammad

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
from my Windows Phone (Lumia 920), when I search popular things, let's say you want to bing the word "Google", you won't get a "news" section in the results, it just shows results but when you bing "Windows Phone 8.1", you get both; news and results. News are important for a person who chases lots of results, I wish if bing could add news in the tabs (web, local, media), I NEED NEWS.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Bing autocomplete just plain sucks.

So here I am, looking to learn the JS crossfilter API for some visualisation work I need to do.

Bing: Type "crossfilt". Suggested results: "crossfit", crossfit mumbai, crossfilt gurgaon. (I don't even live in Mumbai or Gurgaon!). First result after typing crossfilter: crossfilter.org, which has nothing to do with what I need. The second result is the correct page. 3,4,5 are some random Portuguese (I think) sites. Suggested searches: RELATED SEARCHES
Fuel Filter Cross-Reference
Mann Filters Cross-Reference
Mahle Filters Cross-Reference
Baldwin Filter Cross-Reference
Crosland Filter Cross-Reference
Donaldson Filter Cross-Reference
Fleetguard Filter Cross-Reference
Filter Cross Reference Guide

Google: type crossfilt - autocompletes to crossfilter, crossfilter tutorial, crossfilter example. Then first result is the Github reference page for Crossfilter. 2,3,4,5 are various tutorials, blogs et al with usage examples for the API.

Sorry guys, but el Goog is still the king.

Bing may be 'good enough' for some people, but it's not the best. And why should I not use the best?

Autocomplete is what you hang you hat on, that's it? We call them "one-offs". Bing search crossfil and the results are there in the article. Like I said, much better results with Bing. You get the answer AND you get this
Code:
[
[LIST]
[*][B][URL="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/documentformat.openxml.office2010.excel.tabularslicercache.crossfilter.aspx"][COLOR=#0044cc]TabularSlicerCache.[B]CrossFilter[/B] property ?[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

[COLOR=#388222]msdn.microsoft.com ? ? ? [/COLOR][URL="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/bb726434(v=office.12).aspx"][COLOR=#3366bb]Office client development[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=#388222] ? [/COLOR][URL="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj162978.aspx"][COLOR=#3366bb]Office 2013[/COLOR][/URL]
[LIST]
[*]Office ? 
[*]Version 2013 ? 
[*][URL="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/documentformat.openxml.office2010.excel.tabularslicercache.crossfilter(v=office.14).aspx"][COLOR=#0044cc]2010[/COLOR][/URL] 
[/LIST]
[B]crossFilter[/B].Represents the following attribute in the schema: [B]crossFilter[/B]

Code Syntax: [URL="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/Ee858488(v=office.15).aspx?cs-lang=csharp#code-snippet-1"][COLOR=#0044cc]C#[/COLOR][/URL] ? [URL="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/Ee858488(v=office.15).aspx?cs-lang=vb#code-snippet-1"][COLOR=#0044cc]VB[/COLOR][/URL]
[SchemaAttrAttribute(, "crossFilter")] 
public EnumValue<SlicerCacheCrossFilterValues> CrossFilter { get; set; } 
/CODE]  

No formulas in the results with Google. [B]NONE.[/B]  But if you are satisfied with autocomplete, stick with google. I'll have an answer already. Get your learn-on with [B]Bing[/B].
[/LIST]

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I have gotten used to Bing but... Every time I did the Bing it on challenge google won in a landslide. It wasn't even close for more relevant results.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa