Why aren't phones getting data sense

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I can't understand this some htc users(branded phones) say they dont have data sense but unlocked phones can have it the 925 has it supposedly -_-

Wtf /? Really Microsoft

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Not really true. It has everything to do with MS. How do you explain my unlocked and unbranded Nokia Dev phone doesn't come with data sense either?

It's true. Microsoft said it the WP8 launch last October. IIRC it was Joe B who said it, but the way my memory is, it could've been Stevie B. They look so much alike.... :straight:

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It maybe true for carrier branded phone. But what about non-carrier branded. There certainly doesn't have any carrier to block it. And as mentioned many times in other threads, the only thing that requires carrier involvement is data compression. But most ppl just want the data counter feature that (1) doesn't need carrier involvement (2) Android and iOS phones already had it for almost two years now. What's so hard for MS to give it to its WP8 supporters:) It's just one of those things why WP8 is still lack lusting in market share today.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
It maybe true for carrier branded phone. But what about non-carrier branded. There certainly doesn't have any carrier to block it. And as mentioned many times in other threads, the only thing that requires carrier involvement is data compression. But most ppl just want the data counter feature that (1) doesn't need carrier involvement (2) Android and iOS phones already had it for almost two years now. What's so hard for MS to give it to its WP8 supporters:) It's just one of those things why WP8 is still lack lusting in market share today.

I've got an unbranded phone with a Virgin SIM but Virgin have stated that they will not be supporting Data Sense on their network. So even if I did have the feature on my phone it would not work anyway.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
WP will never be anything more than a niche device. Manufactured mainly for the die hard Windows fans and nostalgic Nokia fans. Most of the coming updates don't address the main problems with WP, that is not having the basic features you'd expect from a high end smartphone.

Im happy in my niche - I have Halo.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
WP will never be anything more than a niche device. Manufactured mainly for the die hard Windows fans and nostalgic Nokia fans. Most of the coming updates don't address the main problems with WP, that is not having the basic features you'd expect from a high end smartphone.
You can have your fantasy, and in it I'm enjoying my niche phone. But in reality, Windows Phone is gaining.

They said it would be available on networks that support it. I don't recall them ever saying it would go to all phones.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
A simple data usage counter is what most users are asking about. Android and iOS managed to have this feature for two years now without the need for carrier involvement and what Microsoft gives us (or take away in the case of those who owned Nokia WP7 phones)? Zip. Nada.

One more time, a data counter does not need carrier involvement. For most carriers in US, their only action is try to block this feature so that they get paid when you are over your cap.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft seriously need to address this. They made a big thing of this at WP8 launch and only Verizon users could get it. Now, two further GDRs later, they're announcing it again, presumably at least one additional carrier has signed up but do we even know who?

They could simply update the functionality, removing the carrier dependency so that the other features work in the meantime. In any case, what if I want to know how much data my app is using, regardless of whether it is carrier data or Wifi? It's just another half-baked idea that has such promise and could become useful as it develops over time but no-one can enjoy it. Same goes for IE data storage, Visual Voicemail....

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft seriously need to address this. They made a big thing of this at WP8 launch and only Verizon users could get it. Now, two further GDRs later, they're announcing it again, presumably at least one additional carrier has signed up but do we even know who?

They could simply update the functionality, removing the carrier dependency so that the other features work in the meantime. In any case, what if I want to know how much data my app is using, regardless of whether it is carrier data or Wifi? It's just another half-baked idea that has such promise and could become useful as it develops over time but no-one can enjoy it. Same goes for IE data storage, Visual Voicemail....

lol so true i wonder how many carriers actually have data sense probably only 5 in the entire world xD

Neeraj Mathur

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I see a lot of ppl online complaining that they did not get Data Sense even after installing GDR 2 and that it is a carrier dependent feature. My L820 "unlocked" ( running OS version 8.01.10211.20 and firmware rev 1232.5957.1308.0001) had it working out of the box. Even before putting a sim card and also works perfectly on Vodafone India network.

Mroofieunblockm

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I see a lot of ppl online complaining that they did not get Data Sense even after installing GDR 2 and that it is a carrier dependent feature. My L820 "unlocked" ( running OS version 8.01.10211.20 and firmware rev 1232.5957.1308.0001) had it working out of the box. Even before putting a sim card and also works perfectly on Vodafone India network.

exactly and then people say data sense does need a carrier to work which is total bs ;)

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I think Android Central is missing you!!!

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I wish they'd give out a list of which carriers support Data Sense. I'm beginning to think its a Nokia exclusive feature since I haven't heard of one person with an HTC or Samsung with it...

No Data Sense on HTC 8X on Orange (EE) UK here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)