I'm trying to buy an app in the store. It is $6.99, and there is apparently tax on top of that. I have $7.02 on my Microsoft gift card that I got for buying a 928 when it first came out. Is there really not any way to use up my $7.02 and pay the difference on my credit card that I have saved in my wallet? It simply declines payment when I try to use my gift card. If there is no way to use more than one payment method on a single purchase, that means even if I bought a bunch of cheaper apps I'd end up with change left over on the gift card that i'll never be able to use. Also, I have no idea what the total actually is, because all it says is $6.99 + tax. how much is tax? any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. thank you
    07-18-2013 05:11 PM
    I'm trying to buy an app in the store. It is $6.99, and there is apparently tax on top of that. I have $7.02 on my Microsoft gift card that I got for buying a 928 when it first came out. Is there really not any way to use up my $7.02 and pay the difference on my credit card that I have saved in my wallet? It simply declines payment when I try to use my gift card. If there is no way to use more than one payment method on a single purchase, that means even if I bought a bunch of cheaper apps I'd end up with change left over on the gift card that i'll never be able to use. Also, I have no idea what the total actually is, because all it says is $6.99 + tax. how much is tax? any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. thank you
    Generally it will be whatever the tax rate is in your state.
    07-18-2013 11:15 PM
    thank you for replying, but my main question is why can I not pay $7.02 of it to use up my gift card, and pay the rest with my credit card? and I understand that the tax rate is based on my state, but the Store should be able to give me a grand total BEFORE I click 'buy'. it does not. generally when you go shopping, you are given a total BEFORE you swipe your card.

but like I said, my main concern is simply not being able to buy this at all, no matter what it costs. I want ot use up my $7.02. even if I only purchased 99 cent apps, that would make them $1.04 each, because of the 5.5% tax rate in ohio where I live. at that rate I would get to a point where I have spent $6.24 on my card, and have 78 cents that I will never be able to spend. and that is assuming that I wanted to buy a bunch of crappy 99 cent apps. i don't. i wnat to buy an app that costs $6.99 plus tax. I know we're only talking about 78 cents here, but thats not the point. first of all it is not fair that there is no calculable way for me to fully use my $25 gift card because I cannot just use it up and pay the difference. why can I not pay for this app (which would be a total of $7.37), using up my $7.02 on my gift card, and pay the extra 35 cents on my credit card?
    that's stupid. and I haven't found a way to add money to my own gift card either, so I can't simply put 35 cents on it to make it even and zero it out with my purchase that way. so while I have $7.02 sitting here on my gift card, I will be forced to spend money out of my bank account to cover the entire cost of this app? sorry, but that is not how gift cards are supposed to work, and I find that unacceptable. someone at MS apparently didn't think things through when they devised the payment system for their store. I know this isn't a lot of money we're talking about, but it is immensely frustrating to me.

thank you.
    07-19-2013 12:14 PM
    "thank you for replying, but my main question is why can I not pay $7.02 of it to use up my gift card, and pay the rest with my credit card? and I understand that the tax rate is based on my state, but the Store should be able to give me a grand total BEFORE I click 'buy'. it does not. generally when you go shopping, you are given a total BEFORE you swipe your card"

Not many online stores are setup that way. Especially when it comes to gift card purchases. Personally I've never seen any treat a gift card like it has the properties of real money, only an agreement to exchange goods for its value. These online stores expect one funding source when you buy. End of story. Kind of the down sides of a gift card. But now that you know whats up, you'll figure it out.

If you think this is bad, just wait until you standing in front a debit card machine and you are down to $18 dollars in your bank account and need 10 bucks for lunch. lol.
    07-22-2013 07:58 PM
    Not a solution, but by using Bing rewards you can get extra money for windows phone. I think one week will give enough points to get $1.25.
    07-22-2013 11:03 PM
    I agree with OP, it should be done. Amazon does it. I just used my gift card and then had the leftover $.13 charged to a cc for an online purchase.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    07-22-2013 11:09 PM