Verizon's Halo: Spartan Assault Exclusivity: Was it Worth it?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I've long disliked all of the exclusivity deals that have plagued Windows Phone (particularly, the hardware exclusivity to certain carriers). I get why some companies (particularly Nokia, who doesn't have a ton of cash to use in advertising) sign these deals: joint promotions with carriers (such as AT&T running Nokia Lumia 920 and 1020 commercials). That said, I still don't think it is worth it, and everyone seemed very surprised about the Halo: Spartan Assault exclusivity with Verizon in the U.S., particularly because Microsoft is the publisher of this game, many wondered why they would **** off all their WP customers on other carriers. I supposed the answer remains the same: joint promotions with Verizon where Verizon foots the bill for some of the advertising (either that, or they were just trying to appease Verizon to compensate for Nokia continually giving AT&T first dibs on hardware), but the details behind it seemed strange (a 30-day exclusivity deal is not long enough to really benefit Verizon, so it makes me think that Microsoft gifted them this as a show of goodwill).

So, is it a good strategy? I've noticed that Verizon has it promoted on it's front page, which takes you to this special page, which I'm impressed with. Does anyone know if that video they posted is an actual TV spot, or is it just an Internet commercial? What about other in-store promotions? What about the end results: do you think that Verizon advertising this game will benefit Windows Phone by either encouraging Verizon customers to make the switch (it must be targeted at them because no one else is going to switch carriers to Verizon just for this game's 30-day exclusivity instead of waiting till it comes out on their carriers, especially since it's also launching on Windows 8/RT and can also be hacked around for those who really care about it so much that they cannot wait).

Or do you think it was counterproductive and just pissed off more customers or, simply resulted in more sales of the Windows 8/RT version instead?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I really do not think it will make much difference in the grand scheme of things. I'm not aware of anyone who would choose a particular carrier just for a game.

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It's weird decision. MSFT shouldn't release a first party game, especially such a high profile one, as a carrier exclusive. And I don't understand the motive behind Verizon - since 30 day exclusive is not that long, and they are not keen on windows phone either.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, makes no sense, caused confusion and anger. If it made even one person switch Windows won. But 30 days doesn't make sense for this. I'd be surprised if anyone switched. Seems like a fail to me. If anything, just caused ill feelings. Haven't even seen any Verizon commercials for it. And I watch alot of TV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett