More Windows phone Update are coming later this year...

safeer2222

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The head of windows phone, Joe Belfiore says more updates are coming later this year for windows phone. BElow you can see that , he promising more updates are coming later this year.(see picture below)

Windows-Phone-Update.jpg

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I just read this over on Neowin. I think the updates he's referring to are what we know as GDR3, bringing 1080p support and more. I'm a bit mixed up about this. On one hand I really like the "shut up and ship" mindset because it gets things done, but the downside is that means little to no communication with customers. They have to strike a bit more of a balance and convince their customers they care about the platform.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I like how he emphasizes the new features DataSense (at least I didn't get it) and FM Radio which was already in Windows Phone 7. To be honest, it made me almost a little angry.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
There has been a few articles going around saying that MS is trying to include WP Blue with GDR3. I really, really, really hope so. MS needs some fire under their butts.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There has been a few articles going around saying that MS is trying to include WP Blue with GDR3. I really, really, really hope so. MS needs some fire under their butts.

The only thing so far is GDR3 then WP8.1 in 1st quarter in 2014. I don't think they want to stuff up WP8.1 so let them take as long as they want.

As for GDR3 'features' I guess it comes down to what you call a feature and whether 'everyone' will get said feature. To me it makes little difference. I'm waiting for more functionality not features.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Belfiore is always over-promising and under-delivering

I'd rather he keep his mouth shut and have his team release on a rapid cycle.

Talk is cheap - we were told we'd have rapid updates and so far we've had nothing.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if you're being slightly sarcastic or not but how does the 'feature' of HD add functionality? In my case since I own a 920, do I get said feature? Hence my statement.

Yeah, I was trying to be silly. Though a new feature like a notification center would add new functionality, no? I do get what you're saying though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Belfiore is always over-promising and under-delivering

I'd rather he keep his mouth shut and have his team release on a rapid cycle.

Talk is cheap - we were told we'd have rapid updates and so far we've had nothing.

I think GDR2 took longer than expected as there were a lot of issues after GDR1 (if anyone remembers that 'update') They probably realized they had to fix things thoroughly before adding any real additions to the OS. Let's face it, WP8 was not ready at release, GDR1 didn't do too much and GDR2, from what I've heard so far, seems to have improved things to the way it should have been at release date, however I believe the 'Other' storage issue is still around. Anyone heard if the SD card issue is fixed yet?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I think GDR2 took longer than expected as there were a lot of issues after GDR1 (if anyone remembers that 'update') They probably realized they had to fix things thoroughly before adding any real additions to the OS. Let's face it, WP8 was not ready at release, GDR1 didn't do too much and GDR2, from what I've heard so far, seems to have improved things to the way it should have been at release date, however I believe the 'Other' storage issue is still around. Anyone heard if the SD card issue is fixed yet?

On my phone performance is worse than before, and I have some new issues (as many have, regarding the thread in the 8X forum). Nothing tragic, but still, there's no improvement at all.

Aaron Bateman

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
MS needs to get the carriers out of the way like Apple has done. The carriers only interest is selling new devices on contracts. They have ZERO interest in allowing device updates. MS needs to push some of it's weight around and gang up on the carriers WITH Apple. This whole situation is a massive load of crap.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
There are features that have been MIA since WP7 was first released in 2010, like separate volume for phone sounds and ringtones, creating and editing playlists, attaching documents/pdf's directly to emails, smart dialling, full backup and restore and probably others. Back when WP launched these missing features were overlooked because we knew they were starting from scratch and had reasonable expectations (as well as being assured by MS they were coming, first mistake there believing them) that they would be added over the course of future updates yet here we are almost 3 years later and they are still missing. What is the point of having devices with multiple cores, high res screens when you cant do a simple thing like respond to a request for a document via email?

For someone like me who has been using WP since it launched these are the features that are most badly needed for basic functionality, not adding hardware specs just to look good in comparison with android because when people buy those high spec phones and discover they cant even edit a playlist on their "advanced" Windows Phone that is not going to leave a positive impression and neither is being told to wait for the next magical update that will solve all the issues, which in reality never does and takes an eternity to arrive in the first place. These basic features are what Microsoft should be prioritising rather than wasting update opportunities and its the lack of movement in implementing these basic features that is most frustrating about this OS.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
So basically we receive nothing till next year and windows blue. Excellent move MS. You should less care about mobile operators and care more about your customers. Mentioning that GDR2 took long time because of Sprint or any other operators is the same as saying we don't care about you. More updates? To enable new devices for operators? And nothing interesting for us? Good. You are shooting yourself in the foot by ignoring users and requests for simple features! Even apple now implementing every possible feature in next ios. What are you doing? worrying about operators? Cool. Let's them use your phones, but you are going to lost every customer and even Nokia won't help. Sorry for this long negative post, but I am user of windows phones and I am developer for windows phone. I see what devs can do, or not let's say, what they cannot do because of very bad API and restrictions everywhere.

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I reckon MS will just end up calling GDR3 windows 8.1, and then release a 'feature pack' in early 2014 which would've originally been part of 8.1. Doing this would give them a better image on quicker updates and put them inline with the release of ios7, even if it is cheating.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If they don't get this voice mail message as email attachment .wav file issue squared away they will be once again shooting themselves in the foot. I cannot play attached voice mails on my WP, which are generated as .wav files by our new Shoretel system, while everyone at my firm with an iPhone or Android can. The single biggest impediment to others switching to WP at my firm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss