Are Lumia Exclusive apps good for WP?

qudahamohammad

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I
I can understand the sheer frustration from the other side of the fence, though. If I was in that situation I would probably hate it. On the other hand, what's stopping other manufacturers from getting their own exclusives?.

The thing that is stopping them is that nobody buys their Windows Phones because they're not marketing it. Samsung likes it's Andriod devices (it's not even marketing it's Bada's devices) and HTC & Huawei are simply the same. Nokia is the only company that really advertising their products as much as they can with their exclusivity .

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
And how many of those 3RD PARTY apps, apps not games, made it to other Windows Phones. That's right, none of them!!!!!

Perhaps you would like to live in a totalitarian society but I don't!!!!!

I guess you weren't using Windows Phone when it first launched otherwise you'd know what Nokia did to WP7.

Groupon was never a Nokia exclusive and the other apps are US only. The Amazing Spiderman is a game and if you read my post I said NOT games. So I obviously DO know what I'm talking about and all of the "exclusive" apps are, in fact, permanently exclusive to Nokia!!!!!

Those websites state Nokia only NOT the entire WP ecosystem!!
Ok - so I missed the games thing. But you said, "And how many of those 3RD PARTY apps, apps not games, made it to other Windows Phones. That's right, none of them!!!!!" You are still wrong. If you're going to continually narrow the focus (changing "other Windows Phones" to "other Windows Phones outside the US" then it is pointless to continue the discussion with you. I'm not going to try to debate a moving target. The fact is that your statement is wrong.

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Nokia put a lot of time & resources in to the software side, prolly due to their background with developing their own OS. They are unlikely to hand that over to HTC and Samsung for free, even if it would help the platform. Also, Nokia's range is so wide these days that other manufacturers are unnecessary for WP's success. Good or not, it is the case that if Nokia fails WP fails. So it follows that what's good for Nokia is good for WP. It would be better if MS made all this stuff for the whole platform so manufacturers could focus on apps that rely on their particular hardware (camera lenses etc.) but in the absence of such, Nokia is doing the best possible for the platform. Steak for 80% of us and Spam for the rest is better than empty plates all round. Especially if the rest get to buy the leftovers later down the track which seems to be happening.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. What's in Nokia's best interest is whatever will best promote the platform, because if the platform fails, Nokia dies.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a Nokia and I think it's bad.... Why ? Because look over at iOS, the "STILL" larges phone, one phone, every app for everyone.

This limits the marketplace for cusomers who grab a Windows Phone device(maybe it's price, maybe it's feature set, who knows) and see "Oh, this cool app was released but, oh, I can't use it because I have a XXX phone". Sure it promotes Nokia more but, it puts a bad taste in people's mouth about the brand of Windows Phone... In the global thing for Windows Phone, it's a bad thing.

Just think how it would be if Nokia releases the offical Instagram app (if it ever shows)....it would p.i.s.s. off too many people and that would look really bad for Windows Phone as a brand..

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
80% of people are buying Nokia Windows Phones now, so it would only make the 20% rubes mad.

Hmmm...where are you numbers coming from ? Are you saying only 20% are picking up the 8X or one of the assorted other cool WP devices from other companies ? No offence but, I would like to see the actual numbers reflecting that. Even so, 20% of a million phones is still 200,000 phones and that is a lot of customers.

Still, it's not about Nokia, it's about Windows Phone as brand and in the global side to this, it could damage it more than it helps (AKA, "I wouldn't have this problem with a iPhone or Android device")

I had a HTC 8X for a while, great phone but, 16gb was too limiting, so I know what I am talking about.....

cotras

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Still, it's not about Nokia, it's about Windows Phone as brand and in the global side to this, it could damage it more than it helps (AKA, "I wouldn't have this problem with a iPhone or Android device")
How would it help that certain apps are not available *at all* on WP platform, instead of them being available for Lumia?

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
No, I don't actually as ESPN Fantasy Football is useless outside the US anyway.

Bet you feel pretty silly now though!!!

Actually, I don't because you did NOTHING to refute the fact that a Nokia exclusive was just released to all Windows Phones, which you insist never happens. Just because it's limited to the US doesn't mean it didn't happen. Do apps only matter to the platform if they're good for YOU?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I don't because you did NOTHING to refute the fact that a Nokia exclusive was just released to all Windows Phones, which you insist never happens. Just because it's limited to the US doesn't mean it didn't happen. Do apps only matter to the platform if they're good for YOU?

Actually yes apps only matter to the platform THAT I'M USING if they're good for me, or are you saying that I should buy into a phone platform for apps I'll never use?

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I still don't get why everyone is so annoyed at Nokia, and find it acceptable that Samsung/HTC/etc sell us a handset then basically stop their relationship with you.

On Android, their UI's and app stores are updated reguarly, yet they do nothing on WP.

As a WP7 HTC owner, i got like 8 apps in 2 years. Yet we get that many new apps from Nokia monthly. I don't see how its acceptable behaviour from HTC.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The thing with exclusive apps is that it allows differentiation between the OEMs. Its obvious in the Windows Phone OS that you can only do so much with hardware due to minimum restrictions and maximum allowed, you can't really change the UI, so that leaves OEMs making unique apps. OEMs are in it for themselves so they want to sell their hardware, not an ecosystem. If you need to complain about anyone its first the OEMs themselves who do barely anything for the users. Next if you're going to bring up useful apps like Transfer My Data, you need to complain about Microsoft for omitting such an essential but basic app.

Cinderella RT

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
What are you thought about this?
Of course they are good for the ecosystem.
The exclusives are just another exclusive component in the phone. The better the manufacturer, the better the components, the better the phone.
You find 41MP cameras only on Lumia 1020 and on the 808. Do you think that is bad for the global mobile phone ecosystem? I don't. Do you think Nokia should give 41MP PureView cameras to every other phone manufacturer? I don't. Do you think HTC should give beats audio to every other phone manufacturer? I don't.

By the way, Nokia has always had great exclusive software and services. Why would they stop now?!

Cinderella RT

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually yes apps only matter to the platform THAT I'M USING if they're good for me, or are you saying that I should buy into a phone platform for apps I'll never use?
So, tell us, if your phone platform relies on your lets say 1GB RAM HTC phone and some app that is "good for you" needs 2GB, who are you going to blame then? Nokia for creating 2GB RAM phones of HTC for not creating a 2GB RAM phone? You don't have to answer that. I was just kidding... I know you'll blame Nokia. :))

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

Oh right, let's just change the name of the thread to "Are Lumia exclusive apps good for neo158?" then. That's all that really matters anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos