Are Lumia Exclusive apps good for WP?

Deficiency

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everybody.

I love WP. I currently have a HTC 7Pro and my wife use a HTC 8s. Now my dad has got his Lumia 925 and I made it ready for use for him.
Now i saw the first time such apps as "Transfer my data" and they are really nifty for the move from an old phone to a new.

Personally i think that these app are exlusive is not good for the ecosystem, because now i think the lumia with the exclusive apps are the better WP. I don?t think that HTC or Samsung has the manpower to provide such a portfolio of apps. Nokia has a big development team and could provide these manpower. But i think is main focus of nokia should be to push the whole platform not just the lumia phones.

What are you thought about this?

Greeting
Florian

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I never liked it, and hated it more when I had a Titan 2. Honestly I believe if you want the true Windows Phone experience then get a Nokia. It shouldn't be this way, they now have over 80% of the windows phone market share.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I honestly think it matter which side of the fence you're on. Historically the more important apps have been used as beta's in their exclusivity periods to refine and add features, allowing a better experience across the board when they're released to every device, so in that respect I think it's a good thing. I also think that as a Nokia user it shows that Nokia are clearly trying to advance and innovate on the platform. Every reviewer talks about the app gap and even though the hardware is fantastic they consistently use the app situation as an excuse not to recommend the OS. This even happens with the 1020 reviews.

I can understand the sheer frustration from the other side of the fence, though. If I was in that situation I would probably hate it. On the other hand, what's stopping other manufacturers from getting their own exclusives?

I don't think an exclusive is bad as long as a) it benefits the platform in some way, and b) the exclusivity is a timed thing that at some point runs out.

That's just my take on it.

Joene90

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I used to hate it when I had an HTC HD7; especially because I wanted to play Risk. It was one of my main reasons to start looking for a Nokia upgrade; which I found in the Lumia 920. Now, the L920 is an amazing phone and I will never regret getting it, but I'm in doubt on how I feel about the exclusivity.

I get having the HTC Hub for HTC and camera (hardware) specific apps for Nokia, but it's a shame that you can't play certain big apps / games on HTCs and Samsungs.

On top of that it should be interesting to see what will happen if Microsoft would decide to release their own hardware; they will probably want all the apps, right?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I always remember what happened with WP7 when Nokia started producing the Lumia range, rather than getting new apps as exclusives they just removed them from the store, added new features and made them exclusive to their phones. Anyone remember Viber?

The problem is that the WP store is already lacking big name apps and the Nokia exclusive situation doesn't help. I get having manufacturers apps as exclusives but 3rd party apps should be exclusive for a month as a maximum, not permanently.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
On the other hand, what's stopping other manufacturers from getting their own exclusives?

I would say HTC is stopped by the very bad shape it's in and the main focus on Android, Huwaei by their low-end targeting, and Samsung by the millions of Android phones they are selling :)

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
This topic has nothing to do with MSFT or WP. Nokia has chosen to offer a number of high quality apps to swing sales there way over there competition. It is a decision they made and neither MSFT or anyone else has any business telling them otherwise.

The only reason any of you have a problem with it is because you bought a non-Nokia device and are now singing the blues. You made the choice so live with it. This topic has been beat to death 10x over and again.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
You have to remember, Nokia has "frenemies" in the WP space. They (namely HTC and Samsung) develop on the same platform, but they're copmpeting with each other.
I don't think Nokia would be so very inclined to pour large sums of money and time into developing apps if they had to share them with their competitors for would get it for gratis. They're trying to sell Lumias, and anyone who's in the market for a WP8 will weigh up every option that differentiate each OEM's phone line-up. Exclusive, handy apps are a huge part of that.

It's down to Microsoft, not Nokia, to invest resources into developing interesting and innovative apps that every WP owner can access.

So, I don't blame Nokia one bit. They're clearly doing the most to advance the WP platform, and I believe they should be rewarded for their efforts and not have to share their wealth with the other big two, who frankly, don't give a ****.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
This has been discussed many, many times as it was the same way with WP7.

It ticked me off when I had a Titan II and all the news and talk was about the 900. When a bunch of apps started coming out for the Nokia devices and nothing for the HTC ones, I was not very happy. Also, Nokia would release updates for the 900 and I never once heard from HTC. HTC would not even update their own apps. There were/are many complaints on the HTC WP7 forums about this.

So...I told myself I will never purchase a HTC product (if I can help it) agian. I saw first hand how they were not doing any updates to their devices. If HTC wouldn't even update their own apps, I wouldn't expect them to help release third party apps. Therefore, I do believe that some of these apps would take longer to make their WP debut.

As fast as I could, I moved from the Titan II to the 920.

Long story short, you may not like it, but Nokia is helping bring apps to WP. I wouldn't want to think of the state WP would be in if Nokia was not around.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
IMO, it's good for Nokia, and since Nokia is the biggest player in the space, it's good for WP. Yes, there are downsides, but I think when you look at the good and the bad, the good outweighs the bad. It boils down to this: If you want the apps, buy the Nokia.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it actually has much of an impact on the os ecosystem and how it is seen by the general public.

The exclusive apps, although good, are not what people are buying the phone for in general (and if they are then its always good for wp).

People buy for hardware, over all user experience or for generic apps like Facebook, instagram and the like.

Google, the bbc, instagram and vine refusing to make apps for wp is what hurts it. The public perception is that there are no apps. None. So individual apps like the clock tile on htc or the Nokia ebay apps etc wont make any difference really. The verge hammer every WP because google and instagram refuse to make apps. To them, those two companies are worth 50% of the eco system mark.

The htc, Nokia and Sammy apps are so far out of the mindset of reviewers and the public, that i doubt it has any impact at all

Andre o Botelho

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Nokia is using its own developers(and money) to make WP better, is not so good for WP because anyone buying a Non Nokia phone will be disappointed but is good because Nokia apps make WP more popular(angry birds for free was nokia move, not MS - I think, because on XBOX store it remained paid). The only way to fill the gap is MS buy Nokia or Nokia apps( someone know why nokia changed from Nokia Maps to HERE maps?).

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The exclusive apps, although good, are not what people are buying the phone for in general (and if they are then its always good for wp).
While I do agree with you to a point, and understand what you're saying, I have to disagree some and say that it does have an impact on sales. The reason I say this is that if a person is looking at the HTC or the Nokia, and that person knows about the exclusive apps on Nokia, it is going to be another thing that tips the scale toward Nokia. Not saying that the scale always goes to Nokia, but it is a consideration. Not particularly for specific apps, but for the peace of mind of being able to know that Nokia is putting a lot more support behind the platform than others. Being able to get a specific app may not make you want Nokia, but knowing that Nokia is spending money on supporting the platform may. :wink:

cotras

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I think Nokia should make all apps available for all phones, *for a price*. That'd mean Lumia users already paid for the apps when they purchased the phone, and others can buy them separately if they wish.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
While I do agree with you to a point, and understand what you're saying, I have to disagree some and say that it does have an impact on sales. The reason I say this is that if a person is looking at the HTC or the Nokia, and that person knows about the exclusive apps on Nokia, it is going to be another thing that tips the scale toward Nokia. Not saying that the scale always goes to Nokia, but it is a consideration. Not particularly for specific apps, but for the peace of mind of being able to know that Nokia is putting a lot more support behind the platform than others. Being able to get a specific app may not make you want Nokia, but knowing that Nokia is spending money on supporting the platform may. :wink:

That will lead to other manufacturers abandoning an already struggling platform, which is probably the reason why Samsung and HTC don't seem to be making an effort. Android is so popular for two reasons, no exclusive apps and thousands of device manufacturers. How long do you think WP would survive with just Nokia making devices, that's why the exclusives, apps not EA Games, need to be timed.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
"Android is so popular for two reasons, no exclusive apps and thousands of device manufacturers."

Though I'm not really familiar with Android and their devices I dout either one of these statements have any credibility.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
"Android is so popular for two reasons, no exclusive apps and thousands of device manufacturers."

Though I'm not really familiar with Android and their devices I dout either one of these statements have any credibility.
They dont, because for example samsung has it own store next to the google play store.
And htc has their own apps too, hell pretty much all of them do

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Wow, not sure why this topic is even brought up. If Nokia develops apps for its products, why should they share it with other platforms? None of the other manufacturers do that (i like the htc hub but i own a lumia). Samsung doesn't share their Touch Wiz UI w/ other android phone manufacturers, nor does HTC. No one complains about that! If you simply want to get a premium WP experience, get a Nokia! The same thing works for Samsung (i like HTC better for the One) for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel