Are Lumia Exclusive apps good for WP?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow, not sure why this topic is even brought up. If Nokia develops apps for its products, why should they share it with other platforms? None of the other manufacturers do that (i like the htc hub but i own a lumia). Samsung doesn't share their Touch Wiz UI w/ other android phone manufacturers, nor does HTC. No one complains about that! If you simply want to get a premium WP experience, get a Nokia! The same thing works for Samsung (i like HTC better for the One) for Android

I think you misunderstand what we are talking about. Manufacturer exclusives are fine but third party apps being permanently exclusive to one manufacturer is wrong. Saying "get a Nokia" is typical bull**** that all Lumia users spout when they fail to see the other side to the argument, not everyone has the money to buy a new phone each week!!!!

walter1832

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Nokia goes out and funds the creation of the app. They deserve to have exclusivity for a period of time. Let?s face it, if Nokia didn't actively go out to get these apps/games, they probably wouldn't be here...or take a long time to get here. All you non-Nokia WP users have to remember this next time when you?re due for an upgrade. Don't make the same mistake twice.

To answer the question, YES it is good for WP! To think otherwise is foolish.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Nokia goes out and funds the creation of the app. They deserve to have exclusivity for a period of time. Let?s face it, if Nokia didn't actively go out to get these apps/games, they probably wouldn't be here...or take a long time to get here. All you non-Nokia WP users have to remember this next time when you?re due for an upgrade. Don't make the same mistake twice.

To answer the question, YES it is good for WP! To think otherwise is foolish.

Nokia are using Microsoft bail out money not their own.

You really don't have a clue about other Windows Phones, do you. Those apps will never, ever be released on Samsung or HTC devices as they are PERMANENTLY EXCLUSIVE TO NOKIA.

Thanks but no thanks, I want my phone to work 100% of the time without bricking when doing a factory reset, overheating or getting dust in the FFC. I also like to have a battery that lasts over a day and a half, is removable and doesn't require me to disable NFC to increase battery life!!!!

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
You have to remember that a lot of these exclusive apps are just timed exclusives, so they'll eventually make their way to non-Nokia devices. There are some apps that might not exist on WP period if not for the work that Nokia has done (the CNN app comes to mind). You also have to remember that Nokia sometimes plays a part in the actual development of the app, meaning their own labor and resources go into bringing that app to the platform, so why shouldn't they be allowed to reap the benefits of their work? We're lucky that these are just timed exclusives because Nokia could just keep them for themselves indefinitely, and they'd have every right to do so. Have you ever worked on a huge project for work or school, and no one else pulled their weight so you got stuck basically doing the entire project yourself? Doesn't it suck when the entire group gets the credit for the work that you and you alone completed? How's that fair? If you're going to be pissed at someone, get pissed at HTC and Samsung.

Hypothetically, what if Nokia pays Instagram big bucks to create an app, and also lends their resources to the development of the app, and then makes the app exclusive to Nokia phones for 60 days. After 60 days, ALL Windows Phones will have the Instagram app, but if not for Nokia's time and effort, Instagram would still be denying WP's existence. Would you not say that this would be a good thing for the platform?

Disclaimer: I actually own an HTC 8x, so I'm not just saying this because I get to enjoy the benefits.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I think you misunderstand what we are talking about. Manufacturer exclusives are fine but third party apps being permanently exclusive to one manufacturer is wrong. Saying "get a Nokia" is typical bull**** that all Lumia users spout when they fail to see the other side to the argument, not everyone has the money to buy a new phone each week!!!!

Nokia has every right to create a competitive advantage for themselves, as do HTC and Samsung. You can't get pissed at Nokia because your OEM of choice chooses not to do so.

chucky

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
You have to remember that a lot of these exclusive apps are just timed exclusives, so they'll eventually make their way to non-Nokia devices. There are some apps that might not exist on WP period if not for the work that Nokia has done (the CNN app comes to mind). You also have to remember that Nokia sometimes plays a part in the actual development of the app, meaning their own labor and resources go into bringing that app to the platform, so why shouldn't they be allowed to reap the benefits of their work? We're lucky that these are just timed exclusives because Nokia could just keep them for themselves indefinitely, and they'd have every right to do so. Have you ever worked on a huge project for work or school, and no one else pulled their weight so you got stuck basically doing the entire project yourself? Doesn't it suck when the entire group gets the credit for the work that you and you alone completed? How's that fair? If you're going to be pissed at someone, get pissed at HTC and Samsung.

Hypothetically, what if Nokia pays Instagram big bucks to create an app, and also lends their resources to the development of the app, and then makes the app exclusive to Nokia phones for 60 days. After 60 days, ALL Windows Phones will have the Instagram app, but if not for Nokia's time and effort, Instagram would still be denying WP's existence. Would you not say that this would be a good thing for the platform?

Disclaimer: I actually own an HTC 8x, so I'm not just saying this because I get to enjoy the benefits.
I agree with this. Its not nokias fault that Samsung and HTC don't give a **** about WP if they did they would be doing the same thing as Nokia.

cotras

May 26, 2013
Visit site
That will lead to other manufacturers abandoning an already struggling platform, which is probably the reason why Samsung and HTC don't seem to be making an effort.
And Samsung/HTC efforts during years before Nokia jumped in were really stellar, eh?
Besides, Nokia is just one OEM. If the few exclusives one firm releases creates a problem, it'd just mean it wasn't much of a platform to begin with, and you're crying after something that didn't even exist in the first place.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I think that any long term exclusive apps/games are bad for any platform (not including hardware specific apps). I agree with limiting new apps to work out bugs is smart. This is seen across OSs. I also understand why WP8 is not as opened for developers being in such an infant stage. However as we see the planed updates and changes across the MS ecosystem, we should start noticing a faster growth in development. Of course that is also dependent on the adoption of the platform, which is another debate. We shouldn't overlook the fact that some of those apps have and are being released to all WP8 devices. Nokia is doing a great job on innovation. I hope that as WP8 grows, it encourages others to follow suit just as vigorously.

Sent from my PG86100 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
What's the big deal here?? Instead of complaining about Nokia's exclusive apps, why don't you just buy a Nokia phone to get them? You'll get far better quality - and support - than from Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. anyway.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
What's the big deal here?? Instead of complaining about Nokia's exclusive apps, why don't you just buy a Nokia phone to get them? You'll get far better quality - and support - than from Samsung, HTC, LG, etc. anyway.

Is it good for the platform, if Nokia is the only producer of Windows Phone phones? The only Nokia phone I'd buy right now is the Lumia 925, and that's not even in the standard design language.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Is it good for the platform, if Nokia is the only producer of Windows Phone phones? The only Nokia phone I'd buy right now is the Lumia 925, and that's not even in the standard design language.

It works fine for Apple and IOS, and to some extent android and Samsung.

Remember, windows phone 8 is what it is because of Nokia. So if you buy Samsung you are not supporting the cause. Samsung and HTC or anybody else will take wp8 seriously only after NOKIA brings it to say 10 % world market share.. So you owe it to Nokia if you like windwos phone 8 to buy a lumia..

Frankly, I am not buying anything other than Nokia.. Lumia or Asha (the new OS from Nokia.. ). I want a 3.5 inch asha to get that too. I have bought may be 5 -6 lumias from 710 to 920. So if you buy Lumia you are supporting windows phone 8.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

Yeah... I'm not sure if this is really comparable, looking at market share and all. But time will tell :)

Also, Samsung has a market share of 32.2 % which is huge, but there's still a total Android market share of around 60 %. That's more than half of the entire ecosystem but there are still a lot of other companies around having an interest in the success of Android.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/louisco...p-of-mobility-forecasts-and-market-estimates/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57595648-94/samsung-still-smartphone-king-despite-market-share-dip/

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Remember, windows phone 8 is what it is because of Nokia. So if you buy Samsung you are not supporting the cause. Samsung and HTC or anybody else will take wp8 seriously only after NOKIA brings it to say 10 % world market share.. So you owe it to Nokia if you like windwos phone 8 to buy a lumia..

Frankly, I am not buying anything other than Nokia.. Lumia or Asha (the new OS from Nokia.. ). I want a 3.5 inch asha to get that too. I have bought may be 5 -6 lumias from 710 to 920. So if you buy Lumia you are supporting windows phone 8.

So buying a Samsung or HTC Windows Phone isn't supporting the platform?

That's a pretty arrogant comment to make, we all contribute to WP market share no matter what manufacturer we choose.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Really??? Really??? You think Nokia should invest in something that benefits their competitors??? Really??? Think about this - even though they don't have to, a good number of their apps were only exclusive for a period of time.

Nokia are using Microsoft bail out money not their own.

You really don't have a clue about other Windows Phones, do you. Those apps will never, ever be released on Samsung or HTC devices as they are PERMANENTLY EXCLUSIVE TO NOKIA.

Thanks but no thanks, I want my phone to work 100% of the time without bricking when doing a factory reset, overheating or getting dust in the FFC. I also like to have a battery that lasts over a day and a half, is removable and doesn't require me to disable NFC to increase battery life!!!!
Citation???

Really, they are using money that is theirs. Microsoft doesn't have any strings on that money, that we know of. Nokia and Microsoft engaged in negotiations, arrived at an agreement, and in exchange for money and other things, Nokia is building Windows Phones, as well as other services. Like Here Location services.

I'm glad I don't have to live in the utopian society that you envision - eventually we'd run out of other people's money.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Really??? Really??? You think Nokia should invest in something that benefits their competitors??? Really??? Think about this - even though they don't have to, a good number of their apps were only exclusive for a period of time.

Citation???

Really, they are using money that is theirs. Microsoft doesn't have any strings on that money, that we know of. Nokia and Microsoft engaged in negotiations, arrived at an agreement, and in exchange for money and other things, Nokia is building Windows Phones, as well as other services. Like Here Location services.

I'm glad I don't have to live in the utopian society that you envision - eventually we'd run out of other people's money.

And how many of those 3RD PARTY apps, apps not games, made it to other Windows Phones. That's right, none of them!!!!!

Perhaps you would like to live in a totalitarian society but I don't!!!!!

I guess you weren't using Windows Phone when it first launched otherwise you'd know what Nokia did to WP7.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
And how many of those 3RD PARTY apps, apps not games, made it to other Windows Phones. That's right, none of them!!!!!

I guess you weren't using Windows Phone when it first launched otherwise you'd know what Nokia did to WP7.

And if those apps aren't released for other hardware you will be living in a totalitarian society? Honestly?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Wrong. ESPN. PGA Tour. Groupon. AOL Entertainment Hub. From their own site: Nokia Lumia drives further ecosystem momentum with new app partnerships announced at CTIA ? Nokia – Press
The story on WPCentral: Nokia reveals upcoming exclusive apps and games for Lumia Windows Phones | Windows Phone Central

There have been others as well. Not sure if the exclusivity is up yet, but can you get The Amazing Spiderman? Another exclusive third party.

You really shouldn't run off at the fingers about subjects you obviously know little about.

And yes, I've been on WP since the beginning. My first app was in the store some time around 2 1/2 years ago.

I want to live in a free market society - a society where good products succeed by consumers choosing the winner, and where businesses can try to compete using whatever it takes to honestly win customers. As a veteran who has defended this nation's freedom, I loathe the idea that a person or company can work at developing something, and the rest of the world says it ought to be given away free.

Game. Set. Match.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I have zero issues with exclusive apps especially if they add value to the overall WP8 experience. I know it kind of sucks if you do not have a Nokia phone because their apps are very very good. Other OEM's just have to step their game up when it comes to value added content the way Nokia has and continues to do.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Wrong. ESPN. PGA Tour. Groupon. AOL Entertainment Hub. From their own site: Nokia Lumia drives further ecosystem momentum with new app partnerships announced at CTIA ? Nokia – Press
The story on WPCentral: Nokia reveals upcoming exclusive apps and games for Lumia Windows Phones | Windows Phone Central

There have been others as well. Not sure if the exclusivity is up yet, but can you get The Amazing Spiderman? Another exclusive third party.

You really shouldn't run off at the fingers about subjects you obviously know little about.

And yes, I've been on WP since the beginning. My first app was in the store some time around 2 1/2 years ago.

I want to live in a free market society - a society where good products succeed by consumers choosing the winner, and where businesses can try to compete using whatever it takes to honestly win customers. As a veteran who has defended this nation's freedom, I loathe the idea that a person or company can work at developing something, and the rest of the world says it ought to be given away free.

Game. Set. Match.

Groupon was never a Nokia exclusive and the other apps are US only. The Amazing Spiderman is a game and if you read my post I said NOT games. So I obviously DO know what I'm talking about and all of the "exclusive" apps are, in fact, permanently exclusive to Nokia!!!!!

Those websites state Nokia only NOT the entire WP ecosystem!!

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I think many people are getting away from the question the OP asked, are the exclusives good for WP? Yes, Nokia has the right to create exclusive apps for their phones, in fact, they are smart to do it. But that doesn't answer the question of if it is good for WP.

To me, the real problem is that Windows hasn't created, or gotten a third party to create, equivalent apps. A good example of this is Here Drive; especially with Bing Maps, why has Microsoft not created an equivalent navigation app? Both iOS and Android have solid navigation apps as part of the OS (even if Apple's is fairly recent), so this really appears to be a glaring issue on WP. Nokia Music seems to be another example where there is a hole in what WP offers.

So, to me, the answer to the OPs question is that no, the exclusive apps are bad for WP because it leaves users of WP, made by other manufacturers, without some badly wanted, even key, features. At the same time, I have to say that the blame does not go to Nokia, who is merely using their own money to create apps that WP users want for users of Nokia phones, but rather the blame is on Microsoft for not having created the apps, or having apps made by a third party, that users are wanting/requiring.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss