07-31-2013 12:02 PM
58 123
tools
    Hey everyone, this is very interesting discussion, just thought I'd post an image of Nokia's stock, not the healthiest of charts, LOL. One has to wonder how the move to the more mainstream Android system would effect their stock.

I'm here researching my first smart phone, and was pretty much set on either the iphone or galaxy s4. One of my co-workers has a nokia 920, and my Wife has always had Nokia's so that's what brought me here. I have to admit, the android system is really feature/option rich, but it's almost too much. I'm reading about issues with wifi connectivity, app/phones crashing, and other issues over on the samsung forums. Although, there are some issues here on the Nokia forum, too, with phones exhibiting strange behavior. I guess one could argue there are more issues on the Samy forums because there are more Samy's out there.

Nonetheless, just thought I'd chime in and say that I admire how civil the discussion here has been. Almost seems like a more mature group purchases Nokia's, LOL.

Steve
    James8561 likes this.
    07-31-2013 09:02 AM
    Isn't that what is happening at the moment? The features that the Lumias have over my 8X is steadily increasing.
    Well app-wise yes, but look for example at the Amber update we got, you only got gdr2 with nothing more.
    07-31-2013 09:07 AM
    Isn't that what is happening at the moment? The features that the Lumias have over my 8X is steadily increasing.
    oh please lets not get carried away the neo phone will have Bluetooth 4 which means its not a exclusive so chill
    07-31-2013 09:10 AM
    Well app-wise yes, but look for example at the Amber update we got, you only got gdr2 with nothing more.
    and that's his problem just because he's oem is dead doesn't mean fragmentation
    07-31-2013 09:24 AM
    The apps on my Galaxy S keep crashing although I dont use it a lot anymore.... my Lumia 822 is performing like a champ.
    07-31-2013 10:19 AM
    Given a5cent's comments, it's difficult to see why more OEMs aren't committing to Windows Phone, and in a big way.
    I'm not sure what you are referring to. If my comments gave you the impression that more OEMs should be developing WP devices because they are much cheaper to bring to market then Android devices, then I wasn't clear.

Although a WP device will generally incur significantly lower engineering costs to bring to market, this is at least partially negated by the WP licensing fee. I don't know what ends up being more cost efficient for OEMs.

I suspect the costs are similar. What Nokia surely isn't interested in doing, is paying licensing fees + shouldering the costs for OS development.
    07-31-2013 10:28 AM
    One has to wonder how the move to the more mainstream Android system would effect their [Nokia's] stock.
    Welcome to WPC! I see no reason to believe that Android's affect on Nokia's stock would be much different than its affect on HTC's:

graph.png

That almost insignificant bump right before the most recent slide down to new lows... that was the HTC One.
    07-31-2013 11:19 AM
    Wow, HTC isn't looking too healthy, there, LOL.

Steve
    07-31-2013 12:02 PM
58 123