Nokia: Microsoft Must Evolve to Make Windows Phone a Success

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
as I've said before, part of the problem is probably ambivalence on Microsoft's part given that they probably make more money per phone from patent license fees they've extorted out of the Android OEMs than they get from Windows Phone.
Extorted out of android? How did Microsoft extort license from OEM's of android devices? You mean Microsoft should have allowed their competitors to use their property to make money and not pay Microsoft? How does that work?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nonetheless I still feel a little confused. <snipped>. But why should the entire topic even been brought up then? Personally I would feel confused as a Nokia customer. They say they can change the core OS different to other OEMs, but if they would never do it, then what's the point?

Nokia wasn't directing that message towards consumers. It was directed towards investors. That Nokia gained the rights to modify the OS' source code themselves wasn't even a technical statement, but rather a business statement related to risk management.

Nokia bet the farm on WP, making it particularly important that they can independently address OS needs in situations were Microsoft might be unwilling or unable to. Sacrificing that independence would have constituted an unacceptably large risk, even larger than what Nokia were already getting themselves into. The markets were already flushing Nokia's stock down the toilet. Piling on even more risk... well... you get the picture.

Basically, this was Nokia telling their investors that they still had all the same freedoms as they had with Symbian, and that they should just calm down. Due to the costs involved (as explained in a previous post), Nokia just hopes never to have to use those freedoms. Modifying the OS' source code themselves is a last resort. Similarly to how most gun owners hope never to have to use one. It's there just in case...

EDIT: I'm stating only why Nokia had to publicly mention this part of their deal with Microsoft. Although I could make a few guesses, some of which seem obvious, I'm not claiming to know exactly why Nokia was granted this ability as part of the deal.

Last edited:

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Nokia needs to switch to android. Stop being afraid of taking on Samsung. Producing featureless phones which are 5 years behind the current competition is no way to get out of a slump. Seriously nobody buys phones just for their camera. If basic phone functionality is missing the phone sucks , simple as that.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
More people calling for Nokia to switch to Android. It's not going to happen. Elop already disclosed that they have a contract with MS for five years, so even if they wanted to, they are contractually restricted from doing so. :straight:

dipankar_mitra

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has been suffering losses quarter upon quarter ever since they moved to Windows Phone. But, sadly, if they decide to move to Android (or Meego, maybe) now, it would probably effect them even more, and continue the loss-making streak. While I agree that MS's attitude to the OS (and indeed, the OS itself) needs vast improvement, Nokia is too far in now to pull out.

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I agree somewhat. iMO. If they were to release an equivalent of the 1020 with android on EVERY carrier at once. It would be a huge success. I would almost bet the farm. If Nokia would release a flagship android phone I would honestly go back to android. I love my 928 a LOT. But I an missing features I had with android years ago.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
There are two reasons why committing to Android would be suicide for Nokia.

Firstly, as has been pointed out, they would be fighting for very small portion of the Android pie not owned by Samsung and that share of the pie is shrinking.

Secondly, even if Nokia could build the best hardware, they would still be complete sh*t at the low end because Android uses so much memory. Even lacking so many features, Windows Phone is a superior OS and that is why it works so well at the low end.

Given a5cent's comments, it's difficult to see why more OEMs aren't committing to Windows Phone, and in a big way.

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone, this is very interesting discussion, just thought I'd post an image of Nokia's stock, not the healthiest of charts, LOL. One has to wonder how the move to the more mainstream Android system would effect their stock.

I'm here researching my first smart phone, and was pretty much set on either the iphone or galaxy s4. One of my co-workers has a nokia 920, and my Wife has always had Nokia's so that's what brought me here. I have to admit, the android system is really feature/option rich, but it's almost too much. I'm reading about issues with wifi connectivity, app/phones crashing, and other issues over on the samsung forums. Although, there are some issues here on the Nokia forum, too, with phones exhibiting strange behavior. I guess one could argue there are more issues on the Samy forums because there are more Samy's out there.

Nonetheless, just thought I'd chime in and say that I admire how civil the discussion here has been. Almost seems like a more mature group purchases Nokia's, LOL.

Steve

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Given a5cent's comments, it's difficult to see why more OEMs aren't committing to Windows Phone, and in a big way.

I'm not sure what you are referring to. If my comments gave you the impression that more OEMs should be developing WP devices because they are much cheaper to bring to market then Android devices, then I wasn't clear.

Although a WP device will generally incur significantly lower engineering costs to bring to market, this is at least partially negated by the WP licensing fee. I don't know what ends up being more cost efficient for OEMs.

I suspect the costs are similar. What Nokia surely isn't interested in doing, is paying licensing fees + shouldering the costs for OS development.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
One has to wonder how the move to the more mainstream Android system would effect their [Nokia's] stock.

Welcome to WPC! I see no reason to believe that Android's affect on Nokia's stock would be much different than its affect on HTC's:

graph.png

That almost insignificant bump right before the most recent slide down to new lows... that was the HTC One.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05