GDR2 Went From May To June, July and Now They're Saying August?

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
It was originally suppose to be released in May with the launch of the Lumia 928, then went and got pushed back to June with the launch of the 925 which that device wasn't even released till July and now that its released its trickled onto a couple of headsets but not the majority of the devices yet it will be august in a couple days and still hasn't been released the the majority of phones yet

This update is absolutely ridiculous for a update that is so minor why is it taking so long to distribute this update? what happened to over the air updates that bypass the carriers?

Carlos ONeil

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
That is most unfortunate. When updates are delayed I optimistically think that they are adding more much needed functions to the update before release, but in most cases they just arent ready to release it :\

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well to be honest, the HTC GDR2 update has not gone smoothly for some people, not sure about samsung as majority of us are most likely using Lumia's for which I don't the Amber update has been released yet. My hunch is given the HTC issues, they want back for more testing. I'd rather have a properly tested and bug free update experience as opposed to a buggy, rushed update that renders the phone unusable. Especially since you can't simply roll back to a previous update without flashing it with another firmware, even that is a nuisance given the different radio types and frequencies used in different countries.

micaels

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
If it means that they will have provide a better and more stable experience I am all for waiting. As it is right now I am glad that my 920 does not have it when you look at those HTC issues.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It was originally suppose to be released in May with the launch of the Lumia 928, then went and got pushed back to June with the launch of the 925 which that device wasn't even released till July and now that its released its trickled onto a couple of headsets but not the majority of the devices yet it will be august in a couple days and still hasn't been released the the majority of phones yet

This update is absolutely ridiculous for a update that is so minor why is it taking so long to distribute this update? what happened to over the air updates that bypass the carriers?

Oh look another person complaining about updates. What is this post number 1000 or something?

What is not obvious to you and probably a lot of people is the GDR2 update, though light on 'features' is not a 'basic' update by any stretch. They obviously are fixing a lot of issues with the OS. Hence why it's taking so long. As for the carrier thing, this is something they wanted to do but MS is such a small player they had to bow down to the carriers. Which is also why we have whatever amount of versions of phones that Nokia has to produce.

Keep in mind one thing. The GDRs are not meant to upgrade the OS, but update it. Bug fixes, etc. We probably won't see anything major until WP8.1.

I rather they get the GDRs right and setup properly for WP8.1 than make more of a mess than what it already is.

eroselim

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
What's with the update that you really want to have? Most of the people here are eager to have the update, but Why?

Keep in mind that this is just a minor update, and it's an UPDATE not an UPGRADE. Atleast, ask yourself, what do I want with the GDR2 update?

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it was ever confirmed for any of those dates, I think that was speculation and rumor. Can't blame a company for bloggers rolling the dice. However I do remember reading an article awhile back where Nokia had July penciled in for the Amber update. Whether they planned on combining it with GDR2 at that point I do not know.

Martin Y

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
... ask yourself, what do I want with the GDR2 update?

Bug fixes. Especially for how my phone deals with SD cards which, at the moment, is very badly broken.

Any new facilities would be a nice bonus, but for now I'd just like it to work the way it was supposed to.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
That is most unfortunate. When updates are delayed I optimistically think that they are adding more much needed functions to the update before release, but in most cases they just arent ready to release it :\

No, it's final... that would be the case it was delayed from Microsoft but, as we see, it's coming on new phones and being released by "SOME" carriers..

What's with the update that you really want to have? Most of the people here are eager to have the update, but Why
?

FM radio, I like to listen to baseball games (Red Sox games are played on FM radio here, WEEI) and I still use my old Trophy when I want to listen to games (non actvated), I would like to use my 928. This update give a important feature to me that was removed from WP 7.X that I am still upset about. A major WTF thing for me....

and some "I HOPE" bug fixes...

satycool

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone are a joke out there. Its not cool, its features and basic functions are far behind other smartphones out there, even smartphones that now over 4yrs old can do more then WPs! MS are using its customers - YOU! again just as a test ground, as previously seen with W7 phones, by promising W7 users an upgrade to W8 OS and then dumping on them for W8phones only!!!!!. Now the same method is being used as seen with the lack of support with updates, apps, bug-fixing on W8P, and even comments for MS. The reason! They are not committed to W8P, knowing its a failing platform thanks to MS themselves, so it just uses and tease its customers with false hope just to gather info for W9. MS has done this with many of there previous products and OS's, so don't expect MS to hold on with W8P for to long - you are still waiting for the most basic update aren't you ? I thinks this answers MS commitment to WP.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think we should compare everything to Google and Apple. But realistically, it should not have been that hard to bring custom sms ringtones and system-wide orientation lock to the OS within 8 or 9 months. These are just minor things that are important to so many users (see uservoice). I simply cant imagine that this would have been more than a few lines of code. Maybe we have a software engineer here who proves me wrong. In the end, it's a matter of management: Do I want to bring features in one big package or in several smaller packages to silence criticism?

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I simply cant imagine that this would have been than a few lines of code. Maybe we have a software engineer here who proves me wrong. In the end, it's a matter of management: Do I want to bring features in one big package or in several smaller packages to silence criticism?

I can't prove you are wrong about the 'couple lines of code', but you are. :wink:

Including automated test cases, API extensions for developers etc. it will take at least a couple thousand lines of code. Also don't forget that writing the code is usually less than a third of the total effort that goes into any given software feature. Still, that is no excuse. Compared to other things these are small potatoes, so you are right in the end anyway.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
FM Radio and Data Sense....and that's just for starters.

Data sense is Carrier dependent!... even AT&T haven't implemented it for the L1020. Also Amber is GDR2 + Nokia additions like Pro Camera app, Smart Camera, nokia glance, changing display vibrancy - i.e contrast, saturation to name a few things. It's not like they have just one tier of devices (92x range) to support, they need to make Amber appealing for the low and mid range devices. Otherwise what would be the use of releasing these devices if the support is going to be lackluster?

Last edited:

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Daniel said this is mostly due to the Nokia Amber update not quite tested and ready to go out the door. And they want to send them out bundled so they are more likely to get approved from the carriers for release. This would explain why the unlocked international HTC 8X's got GDR2 already.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Windows Phone are a joke out there. Its not cool, its features and basic functions are far behind other smartphones out there, even smartphones that now over 4yrs old can do more then WPs! MS are using its customers - YOU! again just as a test ground, as previously seen with W7 phones, by promising W7 users an upgrade to W8 OS and then dumping on them for W8phones only!!!!!. Now the same method is being used as seen with the lack of support with updates, apps, bug-fixing on W8P, and even comments for MS. The reason! They are not committed to W8P, knowing its a failing platform thanks to MS themselves, so it just uses and tease its customers with false hope just to gather info for W9. MS has done this with many of there previous products and OS's, so don't expect MS to hold on with W8P for to long - you are still waiting for the most basic update aren't you ? I thinks this answers MS commitment to WP.

MS never said WP7 users would get an upgrade path to WP8, sorry that is just flat out false. Any talk about that was pure rumor/speculation.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

While we are entitled to our opinion, there are times and places when it just isn't appropriate to voice them. This is one of those places. If you have a legitimate complaint, fine. But please do not come into this forum spouting your negative views of WP. If you do not own a WP device, please do not try to convince us of your opinions. I've never had an Android device, other than my Kindle Fire, and I don't go into their forums berating them. While I agree there are some issues with the OS, for the most part I enjoy this system.

Thank you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos