GDR2 Seemingly /Does/ Fix the "Other Storage" Bug

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, I decided to make this thread in response to the post made by Daniel stating that GDR2 doesn't fix the infamous, "Other Storage" bug.

I picked up my Lumia 1020 just yesterday, and I must first say it's a fabulous device, excellent work by Nokia. Anyways, despite this being my first step into the world of Windows Phone, I've hit the ground running, already downloading 3 GB of apps and games (as per Nokia's Storage Check).

I was a bit worried, believing my Other Storage would quickly fill up. Indeed, fresh out the box, the first thing I did was check, and sure enough, I had 2.7 GB in "Other Storage" before I had even used my phone.

However, despite downloading apps, maps, games, email, etc., my "Other Storage" has not gone up, but rather, /down/. I was pleasantly surprised when I noticed it read 2.5 GB.

Of course, it's to early to say with confidence, especially seeing as in new to the realm of Windows Phone 8, but at this point in time, I'm under the impression the issue has been resolved, or at least mitigated.

Thoughts, opinions, other experiences of those with GDR2?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know. My 8X has largely been static at just under 2Gb of "other" stuff, but then I don't use apps in an intensive way.

I suspect that the reasons for "other" bloat is manifold, and that Microsoft may well have addresses causes by at least some of the MS core apps (photo sharing for example). It was reported some months ago by WPCentral that one dev discovered bloat caused by a third-party photo sharing app, with the implication that it was caused by insufficient garbage handling by the app itself. So, if apps don't/can't clear space that they've allocated, it might not be cleared until there's a factory reset (or the app is updated to sweep away old data).

But, I have no proof, I'm just surmising from what I've read before.

Forc3

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
7 hours ago Joe Belfiore tweeted some Details about the Other storage.
First of all the Other storage bug has been fixed! (Bug was System didnt clean some files so it kept growing)
BUT! It will still grow and shrink again as it should.
1 More Thing... Other storage contains Email attachments! So if someone is sending u a fancy email (Picture bloated/nicely designed,etc) be sure to delete it, if you dont need it anymore. Other wise : Ever growing Other storage.

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/361719756589506561
https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/361720109875732481

Arjun KR

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
On my Lumia 620 50% of the user available memory is occupied by Other storage,even if the other storage is limited to 2GB in GDR2 its still too much for 8GB devices

stamford27

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Lets face it, as hard as we all pretend windows phone is a good OS, in reality it's a joke. Windows phone is just useless, just admit it everyone. My 620 has 3gb in other storage and i try to clean it up everyday. To 'keep' it at 3 i am constantly deleting apps I'll have none soon. It actually doesn't bother me, i just find it funny how utter crap windows phone OS is, and I've really tried to like it. I feel sorry for Nokia who are now stuck with this micky mouse OS an OS where you have to delete everything on your phone cause of other storage.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
No, the enumeration named "other" is the joke.

App data, like mail attachments, cached picture thumbnails, any sort of app specific media that aren't shared with the media hubs (Audible.com books come to mind, but I'm betting that downloaded or cached YouTube videos may count as well) - all of these bits of data created or downloaded to the phone are going to, like it or not, take up storage. And, if it's not media that shows up in the media hub, that's probably going to be "other" storage.

My iPhone has dozens of gigabytes of"other" but since the os goes into a lot of detail of how much storage is being taken by which apps, it's not so alarming. The only time you see it all lumped together as "other" is the bar graph in iTunes. That, and it's got 64GB of storage.

MS could make "other" storage go away by simply deleting everything stored in isolated storage. Of course that would mean deleting all app data, which would leave every app in a "just installed" state. I think we'd all get tired of having to sign in to an app every time it's use, having to re-download everything it needs and having t wait for them to rebuild all their cached data, every time.

There's no free lunch here. Apps need someplace to store their data. That's called "other". Some are obviously worse than others about managing their space, but that isn't really microsoft's fault.

stamford27

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
No, the enumeration named "other" is the joke.

App data, like mail attachments, cached picture thumbnails, any sort of app specific media that aren't shared with the media hubs (Audible.com books come to mind, but I'm betting that downloaded or cached YouTube videos may count as well) - all of these bits of data created or downloaded to the phone are going to, like it or not, take up storage. And, if it's not media that shows up in the media hub, that's probably going to be "other" storage.

My iPhone has dozens of gigabytes of"other" but since the os goes into a lot of detail of how much storage is being taken by which apps, it's not so alarming. The only time you see it all lumped together as "other" is the bar graph in iTunes. That, and it's got 64GB of storage.

MS could make "other" storage go away by simply deleting everything stored in isolated storage. Of course that would mean deleting all app data, which would leave every app in a "just installed" state. I think we'd all get tired of having to sign in to an app every time it's use, having to re-download everything it needs and having t wait for them to rebuild all their cached data, every time.

There's no free lunch here. Apps need someplace to store their data. That's called "other". Some are obviously worse than others about managing their space, but that isn't really microsoft's fault.
You can make eexcuses all you like, Microsoft have known about the problem, and even they admit its a problem, for ages. Yesterday for no reason at all 1gb was added to other. I will have no apps left soon, only got about 4 as it is, no games at all. Just don't hear about this problem as quick on Android , and I'm not an Android fan boy. I've tried sooooo hard to like windows, but am now just letting myself admit to myself how bad it is, but i love Nokia so am stuck with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa