Data speeds unacceptable while on voice calls!

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone using a L920 have issues with data slowing to a crawl while on a voice call? Is this a problem with all Nokia devices, or just mine? Keep getting data not available check connections error.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes on ALL devices you will have that issue. Indeed data should not work while on voice calls. You cannot use radio for 2G and 3G simultaneously! So when on voice call you are essentially using 2G for your data. Once you hang up, you have 2G for text, calls and data and 3G for data.

Darren Walsh

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Haha madness I was just on a call there and my H+ changed to E , it was a good bit slower alright but had to turn of WiFi to test it, some coincidence with the timing of your comment ! On Vodafone Ireland by the way

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes on ALL devices you will have that issue. Indeed data should not work while on voice calls. You cannot use radio for 2G and 3G simultaneously! So when on voice call you are essentially using 2G for your data. Once you hang up, you have 2G for text, calls and data and 3G for data.

This goes against everything I've read about this. Why would using 2G prevent you from using 3G at the same time? They are completely different radios.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
What carrier do you have?

If you have AT&T, you will get 3G, not LTE, when you are using voice/data simultaneously. That is because AT&T does not yet have LTE-Advanced.

Once LTE-Advanced is available and devices have the proper radios, everything will use the LTE network (including voice), and the speeds should not be reduced.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Pure CDMA (without LTE or WiFi) will not even do data simultaneously along with voice.

Actually that used to be true. Verizon did upgrade their CDMA network to do voice and data at the same time over 3G. It first launched with the HTC Thunderbolt. However, that was the same time 4G started to roll out and I don't think they really required all devices to do it, but at least the Thunderbolt did.. Was pretty cool too. The voice and data part... not the Thunderbolt... that thing blew.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
This is my 5th L920, I don't recall my data speeds being reduced to this level when using my previous phones while on voice calls

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Actually that used to be true. Verizon did upgrade their CDMA network to do voice and data at the same time over 3G. It first launched with the HTC Thunderbolt. However, that was the same time 4G started to roll out and I don't think they really required all devices to do it, but at least the Thunderbolt did.. Was pretty cool too. The voice and data part... not the Thunderbolt... that thing blew.
The HTC Thunderbolt was the first LTE device available from Verizon. Yes, that thing was known for eating battery for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The HTC Thunderbolt was the first LTE device available from Verizon. Yes, that thing was known for eating battery for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Yeah, and the entire time I had it I didn't even have LTE yet, so I couldn't enjoy it. SVDO was nice but it's not like i used it that much though.... I think the GS3 had it, but the Note II did not...

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

That's only true for CDMA phones, not ALL devices. As mentioned, on AT&T network, you can have both.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
When I'm calling on AT&T LTE, it goes to H+. Not bad, but would like LTE. Waiting for HD Voice though.
That will require one of the two things in order for LTE data while on voice call:
1. Two radios, one for GSM voice call, one for LTE data. That will eat your battery real quick.
2. Use Voice over LTE for voice call. Only Verizon is experimenting this. Not support in any of current phones or deployed in any network yet.

dv220s

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
My 920 drops to 4G HSPA+ when I get on a call. It's the same thing on my HTC One. I can definitely feel the slow down in browsing during a call but I've got to deal with it. I had to deal with 3G on my LG Quantum for a year.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
That will require one of the two things in order for LTE data while on voice call:
1. Two radios, one for GSM voice call, one for LTE data. That will eat your battery real quick.
2. Use Voice over LTE for voice call. Only Verizon is experimenting this. Not support in any of current phones or deployed in any network yet.

I'm saying it would be nice for it to have it, not that it should be now, as currently it would eat battery life. I think there might be another way though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999