Major mms problems - i'm going crazy!!!!!!!!!

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick overview. I got the Lumia 920 with AT&T the day it came out last November. Everything worked like a charm up until March whenever I downloaded Viber. That's when my problems began. Viber completely screwed up my MMS. I was unable to receive any kind of MMS (pictures, group texts, contacts) but I could send them all perfectly. I deleted Viber within a couple weeks, but the problem still remained. Since then, I've gone through 2 new phones, a couple hard resets each time, and the problem still lingered.

So I made the switch from AT&T to Verizon. I was just sick of my constant MMS problems. I went from having the Lumia 920 on AT&T to the Lumia 928 on Verizon. Everything worked perfectly for the first 2 days. But guess what? IT DOESN'T WORK AGAIN!!!!!!! How is this possible?!?!?! I am so sick and tired of not being able to receive picture messages.

At this point, there has only been 3 common denominators: the Windows Phone 8 operating system, my Microsoft Account, and my phone number. Is it possible that something, a bug of some sort, has latched itself onto either my Microsoft Account or my Phone Number and is causing this issue?

I am at such a loss at how I have switched carriers and this problem still remains.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue with my 920. Can't send or receive pic msg.

Called att and they reset the connection or something but I still can't send pics

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
There is an access point configuration in my Lumia 920, maybe you can try to add a new access point with the mms configuration for your company.

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
When I was still on AT&T with my Lumia 920, they tried everything. Checked provisional settings, checked other settings, tried a few things. Every time they changed something or tried something different, MMS worked fine for a day but then it was almost like something would reset after a day. I was always able to send them, just not receive MMS. So each time after a day, I couldn't receive MMS anymore.

One thing we tried was the MMS APN that y'all are talking about. I entered the setting provided from AT&T tech people. Whenever I entered the settings, it messed everything up even more where I couldn't send them either. So we just deleted those.

I was literally on the phone with AT&T tech support every three days for almost the whole month of July until I finally said screw it. They did release me from my contract so I didn't have to pay the termination fee.

But how am I facing the same issue now on a different carrier???

thesmithiz

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
The problem you're describing has happened to me twice, once from and Apple on AT&T to Samsung phone on Virgin and once from the Samsung on Virgin to the 928 on Verizon. Both times as you can probably see the number was being ported from one operator to another and both times it was due to an incomplete porting process. Ask Verizon if you can talk to the technical folks that trouble shoot number porting and they can see that the process was complete or if anything is hung up. It actually was a problem for SMS and MMS.

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Alright thanks I'll try. As of right now, I can receive group texts and contacts, just not pictures. I'll give tech support a call and see what I can figure out.

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I called tech support and it just started working magically. It has done this before though where it will work one minute and quit the next. Let's see if it stays this time.

Lawrence Crecy

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Yea same problem on my 920 ATT, if someone sends a picture message twice I'll get it, and after I get that they can send the following pictures once and it'll come in for about 15 minutes before they have to repeat.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Well today it's my contacts that aren't working. I can receive picture messages and group texts, just not contacts. I'm sick of this.

So, you said group texts are working. That is something that is disabled on the Verizon 928 unless you restored a backup from a previous phone on another carrier which will "flip" the hidden group text switch on the 928.

Can we assume you restored your 920 backup to your 928? If so, maybe it's possible that some settings you restored from your 920 are impacting the 928? I'm just throwing stuff out there...

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I was actually thinking the same thing. Yes I did restore that backup from my 920 to the 928. I figured that is what magically made group texting work. Amazon is sending me a new replacement 928 as the current one I have has the defective Windows button issue. Once I get that phone, I will just start fresh without using the backup and hopefully, hopefully, everything will be fine after that.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick overview. I got the Lumia 920 with AT&T the day it came out last November. Everything worked like a charm up until March whenever I downloaded Viber. That's when my problems began. Viber completely screwed up my MMS. I was unable to receive any kind of MMS (pictures, group texts, contacts) but I could send them all perfectly. I deleted Viber within a couple weeks, but the problem still remained. Since then, I've gone through 2 new phones, a couple hard resets each time, and the problem still lingered.

So I made the switch from AT&T to Verizon. I was just sick of my constant MMS problems. I went from having the Lumia 920 on AT&T to the Lumia 928 on Verizon. Everything worked perfectly for the first 2 days. But guess what? IT DOESN'T WORK AGAIN!!!!!!! How is this possible?!?!?! I am so sick and tired of not being able to receive picture messages.

At this point, there has only been 3 common denominators: the Windows Phone 8 operating system, my Microsoft Account, and my phone number. Is it possible that something, a bug of some sort, has latched itself onto either my Microsoft Account or my Phone Number and is causing this issue?

I am at such a loss at how I have switched carriers and this problem still remains.

Reset the phone and don't restore from a backup, there are some differences between mms on AT&T and VZW that may be causing it. I had mms problems and a reset fixed it.

Also, be aware that, for now at least, you will not be able to have threaded text messages when you reset. Verizon disabled it because it wasn't working properly but should be back when gdr2 is released. It does work if you restore from another non vzw phone that had it enabled, but that doesn't seem to be a possibility at this point

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm aware of that I appreciate it though. Receiving group messages hasn't been an issue yet on Verizon, just receiving pictures and then contacts. Back on AT&T, receiving group messages was one of the biggest hassles though. Whether I had group messaging turned on or off, I wouldn't receive group messages.

But once I get my new replacement phone from Amazon, I will start fresh and won't restore from a backup. I will report back if everything is working fine.

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So I started fresh with a new Lumia 928 (previous one had manufacture button issue). This time I did not restore from a backup, but the issues still remain. I only get mms half the time (contacts, pictures, and unthreaded group messages).

I tested to make sure I didn't still get threaded group messages, and I don't, but I still don't always receive unthreaded group messages. It seems like I can only get pictures, shared contacts, and unthreaded group messages if someone sends me one first to "remove an invisible block" or I can send a picture or contact to myself to remove this invisible block. But it resets after a few minutes so I can't receive them anymore unless this "invisible block" is again removed by an initial message. I've read on other forums that I am not alone is this "invisible block" issue.

I do have "text message backup" on as well. Is that bad? Should I turn that off and reset again so I don't have all my old texts restored? Or should that not be affecting my mms? Thoughts?

ShoShoFresh

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Erik,

I am having a similar issue, and pointed mine toward text backup. What I did was delete all of my texts from when I first noticed the issue (early July/late June) thru today via outlook.com's message history tab. After doing this, I restored my phone and so far have been receiving MMS messages (both pictures and group messaging. I am attributing it to a message that never fully downloaded and is tripping up the system somehow.

Give this a shot and let me know if it works for you too. I'm dying to find out if this is actually the underlying remedy.

Erik Walther

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I deleted all of my messages from my phone and from my Microsoft Account using a link provided in another thread. I even ported my Gamertag over to an entirely new Microsoft Account and hard reset my phone and started fresh with my new Microsoft Account. I had a clean App history (which is good cause Viber caused this issue in the first place) but for some reason I didn't have to re-purchase any apps. Everything is working fine now (I just did the reset yesterday) so hopefully it will remain. If so, I can finally put a 6 month issue to rest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre