turning off toast notifications (GDR2?)

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
i would show off my phone more if the phone wouldnt barf up my incoming text messages on screen.
please tell me this is now a toggle option in GDR2.

Hoping MS addresses this in 7.5
There has been no indication of this changing in Tango (7.5.1). It's unfortunate, but because its still a pretty immature product, there are a lot of these sorts of small options missing. Hopefully many of them will get addressed in Windows Phone 8.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7/190300-turning-off-toast-notifications.html

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I could tell you exactly that.

But it would be a lie. There's no option currently to turn off the toast notifications for sms messages.

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
if the cellphone salesman honestly explained the presence of this "feature" to each potential customer , that even when the phone is locked, other people can freely read your incoming messages, i think market share of windows phone would plummet .

the whole point of paying to have powerpoint on it is so you can use it to show things to others.

But before I go on...maybe a kind folk here with a 1020 might be able to check for us if GDR2 solved this..............

ArguableChutoy

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
the whole point of paying to have powerpoint on it is so you can use it to show things to others.

But before I go on...maybe a kind folk here with a 1020 might be able to check for us if GDR2 solved this..............

If you're saying you use your phone to present a powerpoint presentation then why not put it into flight mode before?

I have a 925 with GDR2 and there is not a toggle and I wouldn't expect there to be one with GDR3 either. Maybe with a major release such as 8.1 but I wouldn't hold your breath..

Fred P

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
take this scenario, i am showing a cartoon to my kids on my lumia and a toast for a text with foul language from a client pops up.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
take this scenario, i am showing a cartoon to my kids on my lumia and a toast for a text with foul language from a client pops up.

This is something not a lot of people know, but anything launched from Kids Corner has toasts disabled. So put the YouTube app, or Netflix, or whatever in Kid's Corner and *poof* no more toasts. It's also why I think they will bring that feature in the future since it already exists.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
This is something not a lot of people know, but anything launched from Kids Corner has toasts disabled. So put the YouTube app, or Netflix, or whatever in Kid's Corner and *poof* no more toasts. It's also why I think they will bring that feature in the future since it already exists.

Great answer!!!

Still, a lot of WP8 owners really don't know how to use the features of their phone. That's a pity, cos WP8 is superb. Loads of hidden gems...

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this option is avaible on sms/other messaging apps but on whatsapp you can choose whether or not the message wil be displayed in the notification.
(ex : "John: hi" is now "John has send you a message")

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos