Everyone i've recommended a WP8 Phone to endlessly complains!

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I recommend both OSes with no bias (Sorry never recommended anyone WP8 anytime until now)

However , I do recommended Lumia 520 , but that's it.That's the only device I recommend but not because of OS , its because of price and hardware.

Recommendation of OS is always based on their uses.First question I ask them is "What are the three most important things you want in a phone ?" , I get so many answers.Based on that I recommend models/OS etc. , its always hard to recommend WP.

Why ? because If something's wrong they must come to me because nobody uses WP.Lot of store people also don't know anything about WP.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Ya don't start the android is better than crap. Not true so don't start. You play with a phone for five minutes and realize all these apps and functionality that android has. BS. I have friends that have SG3s and notes, they're actually impressed with my 920. I've sold some lower end lumias because low end androids (HTC, ss, etc...) are such junk because of the OS. People cant wait to move on even with all this functionality and apps that you speak of. Ridiculous. There isn't one better than the other now days, there's just different.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
ya don't start the android is better than crap. Not true so don't start. You play with a phone for five minutes and realize all these apps and functionality that android has. Bs. I have friends that have sg3s and notes, they're actually impressed with my 920. I've sold some lower end lumias because low end androids (htc, ss, etc...) are such junk because of the os. People cant wait to move on even with all this functionality and apps that you speak of. Ridiculous. There isn't one better than the other now days, there's just different.

8x 10000

runamuck83

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been a loyal Windows Phone user now since the Lumia 900. Since then I've owned the Lumia 920, Lumia 720, HTC 8X, and now the Lumia 1020 and I love each one better than the last :) Fortunately I have a lot of lines on my account and I'm always stealing upgrades. Although I bought the 720 off eBay since it's not available in the US.

Anyway - my family and friends who saw me now ditching iPhones to go to Windows Phones wondered what was up and they asked me why. I told them and they seemed like they were interested in the phone and they all said "When my renewal is up, I'm getting one."

Well, I guess I shouldn't have said $h!t to them because now all they do is ***** to me about it.

Personally, I think the iPhone is lame/old/boring and Windows Phone is alive and refreshing. The biggest thing they always nag me about is that "so and so has this app, but of course I can't get it!" That's an exact quote I heard. I point out the alternatives 3rd-party apps but then they ***** and moan about how it's not free (like on iPhone). That's probably the one I hear the most.

The other one I always hear is that they keyboard isn't as good and they can't type on it - which I totally disagree with because I type faster and more accurate on my WP8 phone than I ever did on my iPhone. It just took some time to adapt.

Anyway, I don't know. It just annoys me. It's like someone telling me my kid is a retard or something when I know he's really a genius haha

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This is exactly how I am. I have a device for each of the three mobile OS options you listed and if someone asks me which they use I ask them a million and one questions so I can recommend the OS that'll suit their needs best, not the one I prefer to use.
totally agree. Mother in law needed a new phone. Simple simple simple. IPhone was best choice because it is simple. She had an HTC android and it didn't work worth crap and confused her 90% of the time. IPhone is a good old person phone. My nephew had a low end android piece of crap, he pick up a 520 and friggin loves it. I have had the exact opposite reaction from the people I recommend WP to from the OP. People love it.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I find this slightly amusing. As I have posted here before, I spend time talking to people, seeing how they use their phone, what they would like to do with it, what they don't, and base my recimendation on that. I absolutely would recomend Android to some people, iPhone to a few if I thought it would better suit them.

Then, they go out, forget everything we had talked about, buy what the salesman points them to, and come back to me later and are unhappy. A couple of times those that I know would have loved WP went with an iPhone or Android. Drives me to tears.....

slap0rama

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or does it seem like when you're in a crowd of people 9/10 people have a damn iPhone?

I feel the same way! At work when we all go to break, everyone whips out an iPhone! There's one Android and I'm the odd one with a Windows phone lol

Most say it looks cool but the lack of apps is a turn off.

Mike_J

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its funny as I supply WP8 to my employees and they initially run the Phone in tandem with their iPhone or android Phone but then after a month ditch their other Phone due to the fact the wp is more user friendly. I have them wanting to buy my old wp7 device for family members so they can bring them to the wp world. One staff member I refused to sell an old wp7 to so he purchased the same device on eBay because he thought it was so easy to use. Another staff member whom I gave a Lumia 720 asked me "why do people buy iPhones" he ditched an android Phone and could not understand why his mate purchased an iPhone.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I find this slightly amusing. As I have posted here before, I spend time talking to people, seeing how they use their phone, what they would like to do with it, what they don't, and base my recimendation on that. I absolutely would recomend Android to some people, iPhone to a few if I thought it would better suit them.

Then, they go out, forget everything we had talked about, buy what the salesman points them to, and come back to me later and are unhappy. A couple of times those that I know would have loved WP went with an iPhone or Android. Drives me to tears.....

Can totally relate. I put all this effort in to figuring out what I think ( which isn't always right, imagine that) a person would want than they get what the sales man tells them. I usually get all pissed off and ask them what the hell. Then the answer comes back: It's just a phone". Hmmm .... Makes me wonder who the dumbass is.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or does it seem like when you're in a crowd of people 9/10 people have a damn iPhone?

I noticed that too a year or two ago, but lately I would say I see more Androids, usually S3's or S4's. Just a couple weeks ago I saw my first ever WP in the wild (not counting a Verizon rep who carries a couple phones).

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
To the OP. Windows Phone is change... People sometimes don't like change. Answer the questions you can give good advice whenever possible. If you can't help them send them here we can. Lets get them a few days/weeks into owning a Windows Phone and they will discover what we have.

"Nothing an Android or iPhone can do is worth giving up what Windows Phone does better!"

Last edited:

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

Yes, whenever I fly, and the plane lands, I notice everyone whipping out their iPhones. At work, most people have iPhones. Granted, the iMessage is a new feature. I guess having it integrate with their pad, and Mac computers is nice. I had a 3G and enjoyed it, but of all the OS's I tried, I like Android the best. I'm still learning Windows Phone 8 with my Lumia 520. There are some nice, convenient things such as bluetooth transfer of files, easy loading of music on phone. I couldn't do this with the iPhone except using a 3rd party program (Copy Trans) to add music.

I bought my wife an iPhone 4, and she loves it. She's is absolutely not a tech person at all, but she familiarized herself with it quickly. Practically everyone in her extended family has an iPhone, so messaging them is good for her. I don't think she really uses anything but the camera, email, iMessage, notes, and occasional surfing on Safari. I haven't seen her use any 3rd party apps.

I'm not sure if I would recommend WP8 to anyone who is already invested in another OS ecosystem. However, as a previous poster noted, a new user may be a good candidate. Maybe as market share increases for WP8, we may see more Google apps that would improve my user experience immensely.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
As a 25+ year computer tech/network admin I have to disagree with those saying WP is for smart phone beginners. I have been using the Windows Mobile platform for years. There are plenty of apps for WP that help me immensely in my work. Remote desktop, team viewer, one note, office, to name just a few. My phone is far from a toy and anyone who sees what can be done is very impressed.

My daughter recently traded her iPhone for a L920. She loves it and she has a few of her friends ready to switch to WP. This is surprising considering it's a bunch of teenage girls.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried with my wife.... And it was the app problem that was the doom for Windows Phone 8 with her. She actually showed me about 5 apps she uses every day on the iPhone and the lumia 928, as there were "replacements" or official apps. There were no question that the apps on iPhone were more advanced and with more features.

Then there is the group messaging thing that Verizon disabled and that that was the nail on the coffin....(a feature she uses almost every day).

With this being said, I have had a few people ask "what phone is that" and I told them, there might be about 10 extra users but, I always show the flaws with the advantages...

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Chances are you shouldn't have recommended it in the first place. While I'm a WP ******, I wont recommend it to someone who is like "herpderp games and apps zomgomgomg!" cos it's obvious they won't be satisfied.

Th3 I3LooD

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I know the feeling dude, I love Nokia and WP and I am personally responsible for 5 people switching but will never again recommend one because the hard truth is that our platform is not mature enough yet and it has to be a personal decision.

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Recommendation mileage will vary.

I convinced a friend who is currently on his third WP device (ATIV S) and his sister has the same, and he bought another for his GF (920). He loves the platform. My roommate is also now a diehard WP lover and is on his third device (520). My mom loves it because its durable and my little sister can't break it (900). My sister is a huge fan of it (620), because it was affordable and takes pictures a ton better than her old blackberry.

My other sister however got an iPhone got it stolen at a party and is on the path to repeat it again with a different carrier. My brother won't give up his blackberry and posts on FB at least once a month for people to add his BBM#. My other brother got a Note II and broke it and is currently using a flip-phone because he can't sign another contract until he pays off his old device.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
The other one I always hear is that they keyboard isn't as good and they can't type on it - which I totally disagree with because I type faster and more accurate on my WP8 phone than I ever did on my iPhone. It just took some time to adapt.
I have issues with WP8, they are becoming more apparent over time these days...especially all the vague promises but lets not get into that.

The one thing I do love about WP8 is the keyboard, I find it exceptionally responsive and spend a lot less time correcting myself compared to iPhone or Android stock (im not counting swype or swift). I do find its one of the OSs best features and keeps me satisfied.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05